Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration at 50mph+

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:13 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: vibration at 50mph+

Well here's the update... at 50 it's just wheel shimmy. 60+ on cruise control theres a slight vibration when it decels slightly. Wasn't doing that yesterday. What. The. F@#K
Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Vibration on decel might indicate an issue with the DS. Still double check wheels and calipers though. I'm not real sure how to fix something like this if it is the DS but Ive read enough threads to know these cars are overly sensitive in that regard.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:14 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Why are you loctighting everything?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Because it was on there before my mechanics took the DS off to put the gears in. They didn't have any lying around so didn't loctite it after they put it back on. thats why
Old 06-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

I am just wondering... Was the DS original factory installed? Had it ever been serviced before? Just wondering how you could know there was no loctite on the bolts. Loctite typically cannot be seen once the vehicle has been driven for some time. It gets slung off or washed off leaving only the Loctite inside between the threads of the bolts and mating parts. Just kinda curious is all. If you removed each DS flangbolt one at a time and applied Loctite and reinstalled and torque to spec, I do not think the problem is your DS. Nor can I see thepinion angles changing either. If the shaft was not removed and disassembled, then it cannot be out of phase either. More likely your wheel balance or your lug nuts. Did you torque the lug nuts to spec using an alternating pattern when you installed the tires? Tell me you didn't use an impact gun!

Might help to look up "Occam's razor" just for fun. Might help you noodle out the problem.

BTW, I have been a mechanic most of my life working on everything from Diesel engines on down to chassis and driveline components. Mostly class 8 trucks and specialized trailers but, the principles are the same as any other vehicle on the road.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:39 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragon Stang

I am just wondering... Was the DS original factory installed? Had it ever been serviced before? Just wondering how you could know there was no loctite on the bolts. Loctite typically cannot be seen once the vehicle has been driven for some time. It gets slung off or washed off leaving only the Loctite inside between the threads of the bolts and mating parts. Just kinda curious is all. If you removed each DS flangbolt one at a time and applied Loctite and reinstalled and torque to spec, I do not think the problem is your DS. Nor can I see thepinion angles changing either. If the shaft was not removed and disassembled, then it cannot be out of phase either. More likely your wheel balance or your lug nuts. Did you torque the lug nuts to spec using an alternating pattern when you installed the tires? Tell me you didn't use an impact gun!

Might help to look up "Occam's razor" just for fun. Might help you noodle out the problem.

BTW, I have been a mechanic most of my life working on everything from Diesel engines on down to chassis and driveline components. Mostly class 8 trucks and specialized trailers but, the principles are the same as any other vehicle on the road.
Ehhhhhh.... What's wrong with an impact gun? But yes I did. I knew there wasn't loctite on there because I was at the shop right as they were putting the DS back on.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Damn, now you got me feeling a complete moron. I didn't know using an impact gun was wrong? The shop that mounted and balanced the tires for me used an impact fun
Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dschmink

Damn, now you got me feeling a complete moron. I didn't know using an impact gun was wrong? The shop that mounted and balanced the tires for me used an impact fun
A lot of shops use impact guns with a "torque stick" that's calibrated to bounce at a certain torque level. Personally, I don't like them. I use a good old click type torque wrench. You could always loosen the nuts off slightly and do the torque wrench routine. The sequence and torque spec is covered in your owner manual I believe.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:09 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

so we need to find a shop that has a road force machine that doesn't use an impact gun? wttffffffff I think I will just live with it
Old 06-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

As long is the impact gun is of quality and the applied torque is measured, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using it. In this day and age, using a hand torque wrench is fine at home, but i don't know any reputable shops that would waste their time NOT using a mechanical/automatic tool

Quick Reply: vibration at 50mph+