Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint rims or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:33 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Paint rims or not?

All black. #2. Like the other guy said, the silver lip makes it look smaller and besides... all black is just MEAN looking. Then again I'm biased
Old 06-29-2008, 05:24 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I like the #3 pic with the lip un-painted
Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

i kinda think the black wheel with the chrome lip is fading out, honestly just an all black wheel is gonna last longer (as far as "in" goes) than the black with chrome lip, two years ago i would love to have a black wheel with chrome lip, i was all about it...but honestly look at the knight rider, all black no chrome and it looks amazing, i wish i could put all black on mine and honestly am thinking about buying some fanblade rims and painting them black, that would look badass
Old 06-29-2008, 10:56 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

When I was a younger man, about 45 years ago I painted the wheels of my car black and painted a silver ring around the rim. They looked great, compared to the gray-silver disks they were before the treatment.

Since that time I've owned two dozen or so cars, and did a similar job on the wheels of many of them. On my current play car, I was tempted to do the Fanblades in that manner, but resisted so far, because they look so good the way they came, "Sparkle Silver" or like that.

And my current favorites are the all black 19s by Parnelli Jones out of Saleen.

And just to show you can have your cake and eat it too, I still have the GT takeoff Bullits, which look good the way they are, no paint necessary.

(I am running out of indoor storage for wheels and tires; the original 16s are out by the side of the house. Anyone need some?)
Old 06-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Famous

I vote to paint then all black.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

No insult intended! If you have to ask this kind of question, the excruciatingly cool dude from Detroit (got industry collapse?) is likely right, even if he's incorrect: caring which way the winds of fad are blowing is not the best basis for this decision.

Who in the world cares what a bunch of random Mustang owners, even really, certifiably-cool ones, on a forum think? No insult intended, but both the questioner and the answerers should have better things to do. If they (we) don't, are you sure you want to know what - if anything - they are thinking? Even more critically, would you want to act on it?

I know, I know; you counted the votes. Well, take my word for it: there are 87 of us here in my Mustang Deciders Club who vote "No insult intended, but leave the wheels alone; you're just trying to do something because you can't think of anything else, and no matter what you decide, it's your choice and the results are your fault. No matter what you decide, there will be times you wish you'd made one of the other choices, and Leaving Them Alone is the only one that is reversible, sort of".

Frank S
San Diego CA
Proxying the 87 votes of
The Mustang Deciders Club

Young people are constantly in the need to know what is cool.
Why do you think they are always on the phone?

Most of the votes for the all-black rims are probably coming from younger members who aren't comfortable with classic rims.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Don't paint them. If you want them black or something get them POWDER COATED.
Lasts much longer.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:00 PM
99bgt
1st Gear Member

No insult intended! but as we can see FyouGitive did this 45 years ago and it is still being done to this date so i vote #(what ever you like best its your car)but i like #2