Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil liek crazy in PCV line.. heres my plan..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default oil liek crazy in PCV line.. heres my plan..

hey guys..

so i have 18,500 miles on the car.. check the pcv line yesterday at work.. after just touching the inside of the line, the tip of my finger was almost covered in oil.. could not believe it.. i know about modAddict's thread and the catch cans and ideas.. but i dont really have/want to spend 80+ on a can.. and dont want to buy a cheapie from ebay for 35 either..

so heres my plan.. i completey replaced the hose with some 3/8 from work (advance auto parts).. and since i had the time i went ahead and wrapped it in the SS braided line covers that i had left over from along time ago.. (which really came out good when you do it right).. and plan on leaving it like that for another week probably.. but then what im going to do i think is get one of our APC breather filters for $8.88 and use the hose i just set up (leave it the same length) and the end that goes into the intake manifold, take it off, and cap it with the breather filter, and relocate it probably to the fender wall or something (just to be different with it..)

and then maybe do the same thing with the left side as well.. and then cap of the holes on the intake..

then im going to take the throttle body off and clean it liek crazy.. will deffinately take some pics before and after.. and see just how bad of shape its in.. but several ppl told me im blowin smoke out my exhaust.. and thought it was just cus i run and O/R x.. well come to find out and realize.. this is where its coming from... (white smoke = oil/burning oil)

ALSO..
since ill be leaving for a few days and wont need the car, im going to go ahead and paint the Throttle body, MAF housing, just cleaned the C&L filter so wont have to do that, paint the Intake manifold/plenum, and take my valve covers off and sand, steel wool, and polish them up..

im going to be using red high temp engine paint.. so should look pretty good when im done, and hopefully run a little better whith out that damn oil ****.. and apparantly we dont carry our PCV's yet, so im gunna have to track that one down, or go to the dealer... damnit..

but just thought id let you guys know..

heres the cost break down:
-APC breather filter - $8.88
-CRC Throttle Body Cleaner - $4.18
-Hight Temp Engine paint Red - $5.48 ea. (thinkin 3 should do the job..)
-5/8 Fuel line ~ $1.15 /ft (approx.)

TOTAL: $30.65 for you, and $24.52

(employee discount )

lol.. so look for the thread with lots o pics in the next few days.. my day off is wednesday, and migh try and accomplish this tuesday night..?... good luck right!? ... lol..

heres how im lookin as of like... 4 months ago.. with out the GT500 strut bar that i painted red..

after lookin at these pics.. maybe ill paint the fuel rails too.... hmm

Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: oil liek crazy in PCV line.. heres my plan..

The only thing I will say is that you might get oil splatter out the filters after a while. The idea of linking the crank breather lines to the inlet is to get rid of the fumes/oil through the motor.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i am not quite sure what you are doing, but the lines are there to keep the vaccuum pressure correct i think....neither connection is suppose to be open to air.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:34 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Hmm, no, I think the vacuum will be ok if he blocks off the inlet junctions. If he leaves them open to atmosphere (through filters) there'll be no worry at all, it won't start ! LMAO

It's the crank breathing which is a worry. You'll probably avoid oil splatter ifyou run baffles in the line or clean the filters regularly.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

weather they are hooked up to the intake or not, they are vaccuming the same air... and they arent directly hooked up to eachoter.. so that would be no difference..

the thing about oil splatter.. ya i might get a little tiny tiny dot or something.. but its not gunna be like flowing of oil.. and it would probably take about 10k miles to get to that point.. and about it being connected that way so the oil is burnt off.. wrongggg.. that **** going through your intake system is baddd burning it is ok.. but i DONT want that sh..t in the intake system... (not the tube.. but the entire manifold and all)..

Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

and about it being connected that way so the oil is burnt off.. wrongggg..
I'm not with you. Where do you think the oil in the PVC lines is going?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

wont start??.. seriously? if anythign i just think it would run rough, or like a cam, since there is not vacc pressure and its open and not controlled by the TB.. but first off, i didnt think about putting filters there, just little caps.. if i loeft it open, i think it would do what i just said.. idle lobby and rough.. bc its not being controlled by the pedal/TB
Old 06-29-2008, 09:39 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

into your inaake plenum/manifold?!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:42 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

into your inaake plenum/manifold?!
Exactly, and then into the motor and is burnt off. that's what I said. [&:]

I'm not trying to be clever here, but I think you harbour a bunch of basic misconceptions about how positive and negative pressure is at work in both your intake and crankcase.
Before you make a complete mess of your pipework do a little research dude...
Old 06-29-2008, 10:00 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

... the way its getting into the motor is though the intake.. that is what i DONT want.. what i meant by "burning oil is ok.." means i dont care about it burning..i can burn and i could care less.. just not taking the intake system as its route to get there..

and my pipe work knowledge isnt as bad as you think..but arent you like a engineer or something? [:@].. i think i remember you saying that a while ago.. all imtrying to do is keep the intake system as clean as possible.. i also know if affects power when that sh.it is all up in there as well

Quick Reply: oil liek crazy in PCV line.. heres my plan..