Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get into a mustang GT please (update)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 PM
jranaudo

Default Help me get into a mustang GT please (update)...

Long story short, my dream has always been to own a 8cyl sports car, specifically a mustang. I have been salivating over the 2005+ since I first saw the concept and am having a hard time putting the purchase off recently. Most listings of used GT's have low mileage and around 20-22k price range. Of course I have some issues so perhaps somebody can chime in with some suggestions.

First off, let me say I am a dad with 3 kids (3,3,6). My current $$ situation tight to say the least. NO credit card debt though. I would have to take out a home equity LOC to purchase. In 2-3 years things might be easier without preschool payments.

So this is my dilemma: [ul][*]Option #1: Purchase new now and say screw it. I'll find a way to pay for it. No mods for some time.[*]Option #2: Purchase used now. Although I find it hard to find GT's with high enough mileage to get the price down enough top warrant a used purchase. Mod a little at a time.[*]Option #3: Wait,wait, wait and purchase used in 2 years with 25-45k miles. Price will be low. Add whatever mods I want when I purchase the car and be more specific to things like color and other options[/ul]In short, yes a mustang GT is my dream car but how much longer should I wait. Any suggestions?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:42 PM
boochy
CSMG Moderator

Default RE: Help me get into a mustang GT please...

New body style comes out in 2010, and the current gen mustangs will probably lower in price. Save your money for now, and get the Mustang in a few years...

That is my opinion.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

new body style will suck

get an s197 or bust!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:47 PM
graygt07
2nd Gear Member

thay have 0% finance now on the gt. this would be a good time to get you if you have to have a payment 16.67 per $1000
Old 06-29-2008, 09:52 PM
GOTTORQ
1st Gear Member

i would look at it like this, how much do you have at the end of each month to pay for a new car? im currently 19 yrs old and i have a 2008 gt/cs, your older and wiser and probably alot wiser with your money than myself, i live at home i do not have a mortgage to pay and gas and insurance isnt all that bad. The 2005+ mustang is a fun car..i would go to your local ford dealer sit down and talk see what they have to offer, look at some options and what you want and what the price is...you said moneys tight, maybe wait for the 2010 mustang, might not be your cup of tea..but put some thought into it, a used mustang was probably beaten on, it is a sports car, meant for some fun. i bought mine new so i new it wasnt beaten on
Old 06-29-2008, 09:53 PM
GOTTORQ
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: graygt07

thay have 0% finance now on the gt. this would be a good time to get you if you have to have a payment 16.67 per $1000
awesome oppurtunity^^ mine was 20 on ever 1000$
Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

The smart thing would be #3...
Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

With 3/3/and6 this may be your last chance for another 10-12 years they only get more expensive, I work 4 miles from home and mine are moved out. I bought mine used at 8500 miles last year for 25.9(before the V8 gas attack were in now) and have only put about 5500 miles on it but I have no intention of selling anytime soon either. When you say high enough milage to bring the price down enough what exactly are you looking for? Look on ebay among other places you will find the deal your looking for on a stang if you really want one. Now might be the best time with gas discounting V8 cars and not likely to receed below 4$ gallon anytime soon. A lot of people who cant afford themwill bedumping them.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:00 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The price of used GT's is going to dive harder and harder the way Gas prices are. A lot of people are going to panic sell theirs soon and the ensuing used GT price collapse will have a knock-on effect on new. Used and new prices are inexorably linked, despite what the manufacturers would say.

Long term plans designed to buy a car in 2 or 3 years time rarely work out. Tastes and personal circumstances change, you can't read the future, especially these days.

Ifyou can manage it, buy now and enjoy your dream while you can. In 3 years time owning a V8 will be a privilege of the very few .

Old 06-29-2008, 10:00 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

As bad as you want a car if I was you in your situation I would wait. I'm sure you're living pretty comfortably right now and I would just wait until you can afford the car with ease. Don't go into something that you're not sure about especially when it deals with the economy. You have a family and you never know when things can go bad. Wait until you can easily make the payments before you buy. If you do plan on buying a GT wait until the 2009's come and buy a 2008. To me, buying a used Mustang GT is not worth it. You said it yourself a GT with low mileage runs within the 20-22k price range. I paid 25k for my GT brand new. The extra 3k for the brand new car is definitely worth it.

Quick Reply: Help me get into a mustang GT please (update)...