Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Battery- Green Eye Out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Stock Battery- Green Eye Out!

I have the stock battery in my car. Its an '06 GT, 19,500 miles. Anyway, once before a few months ago, I noticed the battery's green eye, was out, but the battery was good, car started and ran fine, no issues. It came back, I figured it was a fluke, no big deal. I looked again today, it was gone again. I put a meter across the terminals, 12.71 VDC Battery indicator on dash is 2/3 to H. Everything seems fine, car is running ok. Anyone else notice this in their car? Should I be worried about the battery crapping out soon?

I was running stock pullies the first time it happened, I went to Steeda UDP's 2 weeks ago. FWIW. I don't think the Steeda's have anything to do with it, but just figured I mention them anyway.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stock Battery- Green Eye Out!

You have a green eye in your battery? What are you running? A Delco?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:59 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Whatever came with the car, stock battery, must be a Motorcraft

Just checked, it is a Motorcraft, came with the car new (also same battery as my girlfriend's Escape)

# YN BXT- 40 R
Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 AM
starman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimsGT

I have the stock battery in my car. Its an '06 GT, 19,500 miles. Anyway, once before a few months ago, I noticed the battery's green eye, was out, but the battery was good, car started and ran fine, no issues. It came back, I figured it was a fluke, no big deal. I looked again today, it was gone again. I put a meter across the terminals, 12.71 VDC Battery indicator on dash is 2/3 to H. Everything seems fine, car is running ok. Anyone else notice this in their car? Should I be worried about the battery crapping out soon?

I was running stock pullies the first time it happened, I went to Steeda UDP's 2 weeks ago. FWIW. I don't think the Steeda's have anything to do with it, but just figured I mention them anyway.
I had a similar issue with my '06 GT and the battery died soon after. However, I tried to charge it and it came up of as defective, per the charger. Before I bought a new one, I called the dealership. Apparently they know about abunch of defective batteries for that year. My car was 1.5 years old and past the 12 month bumper to bumper, but they replaced it, after confirming i was defective, free with no pro rata. In addition, the replacement battery was not the same one. No "green" eye. Good Luck
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

The green eye has never been visible on my 2007 GT since I bought it brand new last summer. I thought the battery was going to be "DOA"before longbut a year later it still works fine. I'm thinking that some of the green eyes are defective but the batteries are good.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

I never saw a green eye motorcraft battery before. How many years did they use them?
Always thought it was a GM AC-Delco item. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:03 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

The green eye is only on the factory installed battery not a motorcraft from the dealer. But the eye is only showing one cell of the battery and are not very good indicators of the batteries condition. Don't even pay attention to it. My Focus still has the original also and with 70k on the clock has no problems and it too has always been red. If you shake a green eyed battery it wil lturn red so if it test good I would leave it.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:12 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

OK, thanks for the answers guys, just want to make sure its ok!