Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coils and injectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:19 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default coils and injectors

I had a bad miss, and the dealership replaced the coil, injector, and plug on #8. And it was a bummer, too. Nearly 38,000 miles on my Mustang, so it's less than 2000 miles out of the warranty. It cost me $360. So now I'm thinking, I have 7 cylinders left, and at $360 a pop, that could get expensive in a hurry.

So how many of you have had coil or injector problems?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:01 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: coils and injectors

Nobody has had problems with coils or injectors going bad? If so, it means what happened to my car was a rare event. That's good news.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I haven't. But what sucks in your case is that you let the dealer rape you. You could have bought a complete set of COL for $500. Then got a nice set of injectors for $220-$240. And we all know how much plugs cost.

So really for $840.00 you could have had all new aftermarket not OEM stuff...

When I dont' know what's going on with my car, I let someone qualified tell me what's wrong then go and do the work myself or at a minimum buy the parts myself.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

I haven't. But what sucks in your case is that you let the dealer rape you. You could have bought a complete set of COL for $500. Then got a nice set of injectors for $220-$240. And we all know how much plugs cost.

So really for $840.00 you could have had all new aftermarket not OEM stuff...

When I dont' know what's going on with my car, I let someone qualified tell me what's wrong then go and do the work myself or at a minimum buy the parts myself.
Well, I took it to my regular mechanic first. Unfortunately, his computer doesn't have software for 07's yet since most of the 07's are still in warranty. He thought it probably was a coil pack or injector, but from what he could tell without the software letting him do most of the tests, he thought it was #3. It was actually #8 according to the dealer. Good thing he didn't try to shotgun it.

I think we all agree that you get reamed by dealers, but I'm not much of a mechanic, so I did what I had to. As you say, though, it's a shame.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Im just saying that next time. Tell the dealer to diagnose the problem and not to make any repairs, give you a list of parts and get them yourself.

I had this happen to my buddy with an older mustang. He could have got an entire new MSD ignition for the half the price the dealer charged him for almost the same thing they did for you.

So again, my only point is, PROVIDE YOU OWN PARTS... [8D]
Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

As a shop owner, to replace the injector, plug and coil, means they went overboard and covered their butt. An injector, even though it can cause a misfire, is unlikely. I have done plenty of coils and plugs on Fords and #4 & 8 are the most common to go bad. Reason: heat builds up in the back of the engine bay, especially on the F series trucks. Sounds like they didnt want to actuallytake the time for proper diagnostics.

Not all places will do the work if you provide the parts. Too many tightwads have come back and complained when the part THEY bought went bad. I will use customer provided parts, but I am very clear about not giving a warranty on those parts. You bought it, you have the receipt,you take care of getting your money back. And you will pay me to install it again.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Thats why I only use them to diag the problem.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

As a shop owner, to replace the injector, plug and coil, means they went overboard and covered their butt. An injector, even though it can cause a misfire, is unlikely. I have done plenty of coils and plugs on Fords and #4 & 8 are the most common to go bad. Reason: heat builds up in the back of the engine bay, especially on the F series trucks. Sounds like they didnt want to actuallytake the time for proper diagnostics.

Not all places will do the work if you provide the parts. Too many tightwads have come back and complained when the part THEY bought went bad. I will use customer provided parts, but I am very clear about not giving a warranty on those parts. You bought it, you have the receipt,you take care of getting your money back. And you will pay me to install it again.
What they told me was that they replaced the coil and plug and took it for a test drive. They said when they did, it was still not running well. When they checked, it had fouled the plug, so they replaced the injector. It does sound like they didn't tell me the whole story.

However, it would be difficult for me to argue the point with them, and I really don't have that kind of time right now. It's my daily driver. I commute 32 miles one way, and if the Mustang is not running, I have to take my wife's car and strand her.

Rest assured that the next time I have any kind of repairs, I will first check with my regular mechanic and see if he has upgraded his software to include 07's. I have used this mechanic for over 10 years, and my wife has used him for over 20 years. We have always been happy with his work.

And, if I have to use this dealer again, I'll be sure to take vaseline with me. I'll still get screwed, but it will hurt less. [:@]