Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first car show, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: first car show, any advice?

yeah I would but the problem is, that I live in Wisconsin, and there are no good ones to join. most of them are all old hicks who get together twice maybe three times a year here. The things I like doing are not reachable for me here, Like that Huntington beach meet up a few of the members are doing, I think that would be the ultimate car show in one of my favorite places. luckily im moving to Las Vegas in a month, so I can end my misery.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

sounds awesome guys, thats exactly the kind of info i was looking for...and in this town most of the cars will be older anyways so having an 08 gt should stick out pretty good
Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BeachBlv

yeah I would but the problem is, that I live in Wisconsin, and there are no good ones to join. most of them are all old hicks who get together twice maybe three times a year here. The things I like doing are not reachable for me here, Like that Huntington beach meet up a few of the members are doing, I think that would be the ultimate car show in one of my favorite places. luckily im moving to Las Vegas in a month, so I can end my misery.
Sorry man. Gotta throw the BS flag. [sm=nothatway.gif] Did you make it to Wind Lake this weekend? 10 miles down the road. Are you going to Planes Manes and Automobiles this weekend? Oshkosh. Are you making the cruise to Lake Geneva the weekend after that? Don't be hatin' on Wisconsin. You could keep busy if you wanted.

Good luck in NV. We'll miss you. Not.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:46 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

lol i love you trace daddy your one of the cool people in wis. I'm just a little nieve after the winter, and am irritated that my house will not sell as quick as i thought it would. sometimes i speak before i think. And no i did not make it to wind lake, I had to clean my house in order to show it. I wanted to! Wind lake is one of the only places i like in wisconsin, and Im sure the show was awesome. ( As an onlooker lol) I was going to join the Stallions Gate mustang club of illinois, but I didnt want to pay the $$$ when it could be used on mods!! What club are you a member of trace daddy?? wisconsin early mustangers??

ORIGINAL: Tracedaddy

ORIGINAL: BeachBlv

Sorry man. Gotta throw the BS flag. [sm=nothatway.gif] Did you make it to Wind Lake this weekend? 10 miles down the road. Are you going to Planes Manes and Automobiles this weekend? Oshkosh. Are you making the cruise to Lake Geneva the weekend after that? Don't be hatin' on Wisconsin. You could keep busy if you wanted.

Good luck in NV. We'll miss you. Not.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Pay money to join?? Is that a common thing? Nonsense. You can join wistangs for free. Of course you might get what you pay for.

And for the record I would be the old one in this group. By quite a margin. So you wouldn't be surrounded by old hicks. We'd just be in the vicinity.

And early mustangers? I can only wish. One fine day I'll own a '67.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

+1 on chair, sunscrean, and cooler with drinks (water). You may want to bring a canapee. One of those "easy up" 10 x 10 ones. If you go to car shows or cruse ins more then one a month, it is well worth it.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Razorbackfan
2nd Gear Member

This is what I learned from my first car show last year. I just thought my Mustang was clean when I entered, it wasn't. The judges walked around the car with those little mirrors to look under the car, wore white gloves and reached in between the spokes on my wheels. Needless to say I didn't win anything, but later I asked the judges what should I do. They told me to clean, clean and clean again, everything, the engine, under the car, and make it as spotless as I can. I've won 2- 2nd place and 1- 3rd place trophy since then in the next 3 shows I entered. The hardest are with judges, easiest are peoples choice, which is more of a popularity contest than anything else. Bring a lawn chair, sunscreen and a cooler with ice and some water or drinks. When you get to the show, you'll park, then register. Then clean your car again. I go over it with a California Duster every hour or so.I turn my front wheels a bit to one side then tire shine the tread. You will be bored sitting for hours until the judging but waiting on the awards is fun. Ask questions from other entrants, you'll learn a lot and everyone is helpful. You'll also see some really cool things others have done to their cars. BTW - your Mustang looks amazing, I'll bet you'll win something.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:33 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Trace - there was just a thread about this, last week..

And to the OP - " " " " " " " " ".. LOL

Anyhow - yes, tire wet AFTER you get there, otherwise it's all over your paint. Make sure the glass is SPOTLESS. Make sure to wipe ALL the bugs off the front end. Be certain to have a mod list on display, you can't expect the judges (or the general public, depending on how the show is run) to be able to spot every mod you've made, so give them something to look for. If you have a dyno sheet, whip that bad boy out, too. Make sure to clean the engine compartment real good, and be sure to show with the trunk open, too. Even if there's nothing custom about the trunk, people like to see that it's not a show car that has a trunk full of ****. Depending on the judging, you may or may not have to have one of the doors open, also. If this is the case, be sure you clean the door jambs and hinges real well too. Vacuum the interior. If you have a fire extinguisher, put it on display (some shows give an extra point for them)! I got a nice chrome one from a local speed shop for $50, it fits in the rear cupholder just right. Detail spray - you'll want this! Use Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer, in the black bottle. It's about twice the price of the red bottle, but it's worth every penny. Be sure to bring PLENTY of microfiber, you'll drop it or the wind will blow it onto the ground, in which case you don't want to use it on the car until it's been washed. Use Back to Black on all your black plastic/rubber trim stuff. Armor all the interior. Use a good leather protectant on the seats. I prefer RaggTopp, since it doesn't have that terrible smell like some do, and it leaves a nice sheen on the seats, but they aren't slippery. Use armor all on the hoses under the hood, too. If your strut bolts are rusty (most are), get covers for them. Don't set the alarm on your car, it's VERY annoying to everyone when it's going off every other 20 minutes. Be sure to bring a folding chair and sunscreen. Also, be sure to bring beverages and food, don't count on the fact that there will be any available at the show. Around here, it's hit-and-miss, and if you missed, it'll be a long, hot, hungry, dehydrating show... Whatever beverage you choose, do NOT bring glass! This is frowned upon atevery show I've been to. If you're bringing beer (cans!), make sure to have a coozy to put the can in so it's not SO obvious you're drinking, some shows also frown on that (not to mention local laws).. Bring a camera! You'll want pictures of everyone's cars, and yours too.

Umm... I think that's about everything I've got. There's probably lots more, but those are some of the finer points, and basics that some show newbies overlook.

Be sure to take pictures, and post up how you do!!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

well everything went great for the show, they didnt do a "podium" type finish, just a top 10 cars over all and they didnt specify which position you got...but out of 72 cars i got 8th (i looked at the judges sheet) and i was surprised nobody else was putting tire shine on there tread as i did it and it made it look amazing, thanx again for everything guys, next car show is nopi nationals in atl, (more of a big party than show lol)