Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping 2nd & 3rd=bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:32 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Chirping 2nd & 3rd=bad?

I approached a stop light today with two other mustangs side by side. Weallapproached the light about the same time. I was in the left lane, a 2004(?) stang in the middle lane and aV6 S197 in the far right lane. Igot the feeling that at least one of them is going topunch it when the light turns green but the thought of doing the same never entered my mind. Well...the light turned green and both of them took off like a bat outta hell and were about one car length ahead of me before I said what the heck and floored it. I blew by them while chirping 2nd and then even 3rd gear. Yes my TCS was off. I generally hate street racing and that was my first semi street race. I wouldn't really call it a race though.

About the subject of this post...I chirp 2nd gear at least once or twice a week just for fun and to show off but today was the first time I chirped 3rd gear. My revs were high to do the chirps and I was surprised my car could even chirp in 3rd. The 2nd and 3rd chirps today weren't really chirps but more like miniburnouts(without the smoking tires) where the tire's grip breaks loose for a slightly longer duration than just a "chirp" if that makes sense. Anyway, I waswondering if I'm harming anything by doing these chirps because of the high revs and then dumping of the clutch to create a chirp and also of the sudden application of torque.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 AM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Chirping 2nd & 3rd=bad?

Sounds like a race to me haha! Anyways its perfectly fine for the car. Don't even worry about it. The only damage being done is to the tread on your tires! Only 2 to 3 times a week huh? I do it about 2 to 3 times a day. I've got 40,000 miles on my car with the stock clutch.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007CalSpec

I approached a stop light today with two other mustangs side by side. Weallapproached the light about the same time. I was in the left lane, a 2004(?) stang in the middle lane and aV6 S197 in the far right lane. Igot the feeling that at least one of them is going topunch it when the light turns green but the thought of doing the same never entered my mind. Well...the light turned green and both of them took off like a bat outta hell and were about one car length ahead of me before I said what the heck and floored it. I blew by them while chirping 2nd and then even 3rd gear. Yes my TCS was off. I generally hate street racing and that was my first semi street race. I wouldn't really call it a race though.

About the subject of this post...I chirp 2nd gear at least once or twice a week just for fun and to show off but today was the first time I chirped 3rd gear. My revs were high to do the chirps and I was surprised my car could even chirp in 3rd. The 2nd and 3rd chirps today weren't really chirps but more like miniburnouts(without the smoking tires) where the tire's grip breaks loose for a slightly longer duration than just a "chirp" if that makes sense. Anyway, I waswondering if I'm harming anything by doing these chirps because of the high revs and then dumping of the clutch to create a chirp and also of the sudden application of torque.
congrats on blowing by them,lol got to love the s197

most new edge owners I come across think they can hang with bolt ons.......That wasnt the case last time I ran intro one, once I got traction in 3rd gear it was over before I shifted into 4th, I was beside him spinning 1 and 2 . Our cars rule,lol
Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danGT06

Sounds like a race to me haha! Anyways its perfectly fine for the car. Don't even worry about it. The only damage being done is to the tread on your tires! Only 2 to 3 times a week huh? I do it about 2 to 3 times a day. I've got 40,000 miles on my car with the stock clutch.
+1000

No worries....

Old 07-03-2008, 07:24 AM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Ok, how about an auto instead? Same thing? You know that rear axle is getting wound up bad!
Wonder if the pinion angle change at speed could hurt the driveline.

Back before most of you were born, we had these things that fixed this problem. They are called traction bars.....
Old 07-03-2008, 04:39 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: seniorsmith

ORIGINAL: danGT06

+1000

No worries....

+10,000 more...no worries, thats what these cars are made for, fun!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:54 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: awakeinAZ

Ok, how about an auto instead? Same thing? You know that rear axle is getting wound up bad!
Wonder if the pinion angle change at speed could hurt the driveline.

Back before most of you were born, we had these things that fixed this problem. They are called traction bars.....
Nahh... I haven't had any damage occur from my bamachips tuned chirps. I do it everyday more than once. Perfectly fine and very fun.
Ive heard its actually the slow shifts that harm the transmission.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

So im the only one getting a trans redone at 36k miles? But id say i was up to 2-3 dozen times a day and a coupe track days. -Jon