Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible that I have an oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default Is it possible that I have an oil leak?

Today backing my car out of the garage I observed a few oil spots. I called my dealer and they said they would look at it next week. He said it could be nothing or maybe a leaking seal? I'm not a mechanic obviously as you can tell but this scared the $hit out of me. I have 61.000 miles on it. I was wondering maybe it's just where the air conditioner drips water and it took some nasty stuff with it. I don't know. Also I get at the initial start up a puff of blue smoke sometimes. The dealer that I spoke with on the phone said it could be some
"oil blow over", in other words if I get on it and then turn the car off it could be some oil that wasn't past the valves???? Anyway anyone?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Is it possible that I have an oil leak?

Have you looked for yourself by getting under the car? Have you had the oil changed recently with the potential for some oil that spilled somewhere finding it's way off the chassis or engine block? If it IS a leak, and you're not a DIY'er, simply keep an eye on your oil level until it's checked out.

The puff of smoke is somewhat common to our Stangs, particularly after a short startup, shutdown, then another startup (like pulling the car out of the garage to wash it, then pullling it back in an hour or 4 later). I've had it happen after sitting overnight but it's a rare occurrence but not uncommon. Just happened to me again 2 days ago. Probably about the 10th time or so in over 1 year (but she's not my DD).
Old 07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the answer. I have an extended warranty so we'll see. I had the oil changed a while back [&:]/ I have added some Lucas Engine treatment in as of late would that have something to do with it? Remember I'm not a mechanic.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Why did you add the treatment? Were you having problems prior to the leak? These engines don't do well with most additives for some reason. And not just the crankcase.

I'd be curious to see if your extended warranty covers a typical oil leak. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I read I would get better gas mileage off the bottle. Being that we pay four dollars or more I'm trying to find a solution.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:04 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Snake oil isn't the solution. Change in driving style will help. Look around the oil filter and pay attention to the power steering hose. I get oil on it everytime I take off the oil filter. If they didn't wipe it off, you may have some drips from there. Also, check to see if they tightened the oil drain plug. If all this checks out, you do have a leak(s).
Old 07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I doubt Lucas caused your problem. I've used it with my DD (90 civic) and never had a problem. Seems strange that a 18 year old 4cyl engine would be able to work fine with it but not a (much) newer 8cyl.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

Why did you add the treatment? Were you having problems prior to the leak? These engines don't do well with most additives for some reason. And not just the crankcase.

I'd be curious to see if your extended warranty covers a typical oil leak. Let us know how it goes.
My baby went to the hospital last night and the service guy told me today it left it's mark. Found out that I have a rear main seal leak as well as a oil pan leak. Ford will be covering the parts and labor and I'm suppose to get the car back tomorrow. Don't know if I will have to pay that 100.00 fee thing. The cost is suppose to 850 dollars. Wow. Thank god for the extended warranty. What is puzzling this didn't happen until I race a 2004 Cobra the other week. The service department and friends say that shouldn't have nothing to do with it. Oh well thought you guys might want to know. My car was born the 21st of September 2004.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

I wouldnt mention the word "race" around the dealer much...not unless you ant to see that $850 bill in detail.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

isnt the rear main seal hidden by the transmission?

my front seal was leaking and got all over the belts

that was covered under warranty thankfully

Quick Reply: Is it possible that I have an oil leak?