Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spacers on rear wheels..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:08 PM
07torchredgt
2nd Gear Member

Default Spacers on rear wheels..

Ok, so 18inch polished frpp bullitts are on, as well as steeda ultralite springs... Tires are 255' all around... Looks good , but I want the stance of the back a bit wider. Since the bullitts are the wheel I wanted but they only are 8.5".... I was thinking....

Wheel spacers!

Any one have experience with running spacers only on the REAR wheels? Pics would be appreciated.. Any suggestions , I was thinking 5\8" spacers from mustangwheelspacers.com...
But I was worried they would not be noticeable enough... Having said that, I dont want to go too wide OR compromise the handling or ride AT ALL.

BTW im NOT trying to start another DEBATE about the safety of wheel spacers etc! So lets not start that argument again
Old 07-05-2008, 12:20 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: Spacers on rear wheels..

I am also looking at 18x8.5 FRPP polished bullits with 255/45-18s all around.
5/8" spacers would require longer wheel studs.
Besides that, I think the stance would be killer looking, wider in the rear.
Wider on the rear gives you more turning stability.
Wider in the front is questionable with the steering geometry.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:39 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

I am also looking at 18x8.5 FRPP polished bullits with 255/45-18s all around.
5/8" spacers would require longer wheel studs.
Besides that, I think the stance would be killer looking, wider in the rear.
Wider on the rear gives you more turning stability.
Wider in the front is questionable with the steering geometry.
H&R make high-quality spacers, many of which do not require longer studs. They bolt on to the standard hubs and supply studs for wheel-mounting.

Seems to me wider on the rear gives more turning stability for values of "turning stability" that equal "car wants to keep going straight when you ask it to turn".

Plenty of road- and autocross-racers use spacers front and rear without bad effects, although someone may put on those 2-1/2 inch spacers that screw up everything.

Get your millimetric-English calculator ready for the H&R catalog:
http://www.hrsprings.com/products/trak/

(Edit) Moss Mustang sells them:
http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=51413
Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

I had 1" spacers on the rear of mine with 8.5 fan blades. I didn't like the way it turned out....it looked kind of funny imo because the stock wheels have so a high positive offset. The tires were flush with the fenders, which was okay, but the "flatness" of the stock wheels really showed up with 1" spacers. I took them right back off. Plus, if your car is lowered and you don't have an adjustable panhard bar, the "off centeredness" of the rear end will show up.

I think that a 1/2 spacer on the rear would look good....the 1" spacers however looked kinda funny on wheels with no lip.

If i do it over again, i'll do this:
http://www.mustangwheelspacers.com/i...D&ProdID=2

Old 07-06-2008, 01:38 AM
07torchredgt
2nd Gear Member

ok... So I think 5\8 on only the rear willl be what Im going with... Any more opinions... Pics?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:49 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

I had 1" spacers on the rear of mine with 8.5 fan blades. I didn't like the way it turned out....it looked kind of funny imo because the stock wheels have so a high positive offset. The tires were flush with the fenders, which was okay, but the "flatness" of the stock wheels really showed up with 1" spacers. I took them right back off. Plus, if your car is lowered and you don't have an adjustable panhard bar, the "off centeredness" of the rear end will show up.

I think that a 1/2 spacer on the rear would look good....the 1" spacers however looked kinda funny on wheels with no lip.

If i do it over again, i'll do this:
http://www.mustangwheelspacers.com/i...D&ProdID=2
PICTURES pleeze!

This is exactly what I have in mind to do, but have never seen it (do you have pics?). I have 18" fanblades and love the wheels, but the rear stance it a bit off. Maybe you want to sell me yours? Was yours lowered, did the panhard bar thing show up on yours?

I have read to pluses and minuses of wheel spacers, and have decided to do it.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 AM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

sorry, i didn't take any pictures. after installing the 1 inch spacers (car is lowered with eibach pro kit) it was obvious that the rear end sat off to one side a little bit. I did eventually install an adjustable panhard, but it was after removing the spacers. that brings up another issue...finding stock wheel studs for an 05 to 07 gt can be kind of tricky...and expensive (you have to trim the studs to make the spacers fit). I finally used studs from a 00gt..(because i trimmed the originals) they work but they're about a 1/4 sto 3/8 shorter than the originals.

i'm not intersted in selling the fan blades...but you can find pretty good deals on them on ebay from time to time

i still intend to install the 1/2 spacers on the rear, but lately i've spent money on gears, shifter and an aluminum driveshaft, so the spacers need to wait a little while.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

sorry, i didn't take any pictures. after installing the 1 inch spacers (car is lowered with eibach pro kit) it was obvious that the rear end sat off to one side a little bit. I did eventually install an adjustable panhard, but it was after removing the spacers. that brings up another issue...finding stock wheel studs for an 05 to 07 gt can be kind of tricky...and expensive (you have to trim the studs to make the spacers fit). I finally used studs from a 00gt..(because i trimmed the originals) they work but they're about a 1/4 sto 3/8 shorter than the originals.

i'm not intersted in selling the fan blades...but you can find pretty good deals on them on ebay from time to time

i still intend to install the 1/2 spacers on the rear, but lately i've spent money on gears, shifter and an aluminum driveshaft, so the spacers need to wait a little while.
Thanks for the feedback. I meant buying the spacers, but based on what you've said, it would not work well for me. I'm pretty sure I have a non-adjustable panhard bar (previous owner had dealer lower it). I guess that means with new wheels I would have the same problem.