Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Default RE: Racing Helmet?

Seriously, dont cheap out on a helmet. If you have invested that much money in your car, then spare no expense investing in your own safety. I would reccomend a full face DOT approved. Motorcycle helmets are not safety tested like DOT helmets, they do not get tested for impact ratings vs cages and steering wheels.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 AM
jimei
I ♥ Acer

www.Jordan9.com discount cheap nike jordan gucci prada shoes lacoste puma trainers at china factory
Welcome to visit www.jordan9.com,We are a professional shoes and sneaker Industrialcompany, and as af(www.guccisneaker.com) amous nike shoes factory & Stores and wholesale company.(www.google.com)
Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
jimei
I ♥ Acer

www.Jordan9.com discount cheap nike jordan gucci prada shoes lacoste puma trainers at china factory
Welcome to visit www.jordan9.com,We are a professional shoes and sneaker Industrialcompany, and as af(www.guccisneaker.com) amous nike shoes factory & Stores and wholesale company.(www.google.com)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ryanralston07
What's a good closed face helmet then?
I purchased the RaceQuip Ridgeline from soloracer.com in size large: http://www.soloracer.com/ridgeline.html

There are many options, limited only by your budget. In general any full facethat is SA2005 rated is going to be in the $200 and up category. The RaceQuip is one of the less expensive ones. It works well for me and is comfortable. It does not have great ventilation however and can get pretty stuffy on a hot day with the visor down, I mostly leave it up or cracked open. I've tried the Bell BR-1 and its awesome, but it also cost > $400.

Car helmets are very different from Motorcycle helmets. They are flame retardent and able to withstand multiple hits (like bashing a roll bar). M helmets are designed for one impact only. Car helmets tend to cost quite a bit more as a result.

Finding a car helmet proved difficult for me. Motocycle dealers generally don't carry them. I went to a car show where they had a few vendors and tried some on but they were all beyond my budget. In the end I found the above site, used their sizing guidelines and ordered. The helmet was a bit tight at first but loosened up with use and is now very comfortable.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Red_Devil

Seriously, dont cheap out on a helmet. If you have invested that much money in your car, then spare no expense investing in your own safety. I would reccomend a full face DOT approved. Motorcycle helmets are not safety tested like DOT helmets, they do not get tested for impact ratings vs cages and steering wheels.
The best motorcycle helmets are all DOT approved and will say so on the back. It is recommended that all bikers make sure their helmets are DOT AND Snell approved.

I also have never seen any automotive racing helmets for sale in spite of all the car shows I have been to...
Keep the links coming guys!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I hate to admit it, but I use a motorcycle helmet at the track. Some tracks will allow it, some won't. I picked mine up for $55 on ebay. [:-]
Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Manufacturers have Web sites with lots of information. Some of it is propaganda for their own products, but beyond that you can learn a lot.

For instance: "A little tight" is almost tight enough, if you are serious about head protection. A competent, conscientious Bell salesman almost broke my neck, making sure the helmet I was trying on was properly fitted. The Bell instructions say to clamp it on and try to move it. If it moves, it's too big.

They are talking about being safe in high-speed, violent crashes. If you are like me, doing eighth-mile drags at 70mph, or autocrosses with about the same top speeds, it's kind of hard to imagine needing something that sturdy fitting that tight. Trouble is, it just takes once to teach the lesson, and that may be the last lesson you ever learn.

My friend the motorcycle racer tells about the time he was coming back from Ensenada on the old road, going too fast and eventually laying it down. He went under the one-board barrier, and the motorcycle went through it. He said as his head bounced across the pavement he pictured in his mind the beautiful helmet he had. Left hanging on a peg in his garage.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I was wondering about helmets as well. I have an Arai helmet I used to use for racing dirtbikes it has the removeable chin guard. It is maybe 4 years old so trying to figure out if this is an acceptable helmet with the chin guard removed.