MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Make me feel better...my first scratch (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/461829-make-me-feel-better-my-first-scratch.html)

sp44 07-08-2008 08:33 PM

Make me feel better...my first scratch

I've had the car since March and today I accidently scratched it with a torx bit on an end of a nutdriver. I was sweatin my nads off and my shirt was sticking to me from being inside the car. Hot muggy day here. I was pulling my shirt away from my skin with the driver in my hand and I caught the edge of the door. Nooooooo! It's white so it's not just surface.

Rocket Ray 07-08-2008 08:38 PM

RE: Make me feel better...my first scratch

If it makes you feel better, my car came from the dealer brand new with a scratch. They issued me a PO to fix it, but they are130 miles from home, so I'll have my uncle's body shop fix it. My wife let something fall on my hood two weeks ago so that will have to be repaired as well.

Its simple. If you don't want scratches, don't drive or mod them. Just let them sit and look at them (this advice was given to me by a co-worker who owns a Corvette).

Hootna 07-08-2008 08:51 PM

I try not to get too attached. If it is a show car then it would suck but if you drive it scratches will happen.

AlloySixxer 07-08-2008 08:52 PM

You might want to try some Touch up paint or Meguiar's Scratch X.

Someone recommended this website to me: www.meguiarsonline.com post on theirs forums with pics and they might be able to help you out.

A few months ago after school I was going down to my car, and I popped my trunk to put my bag in it. I was standing right next to the trunk with my keys in my hand when I popped it. When I went to open it with my other hand the trunk scraped against the key [:@]. Left a nice scratch on the trunk lid. I also got a few small scratches on the side of my car when my right side mirror hit a mailbox. The Scratch X did a lot for all the scratches though, it took the white out and made them smaller I think;).

Nighthawk2008 07-08-2008 08:53 PM

I feel your pain brother. I got mine new in march also and a month after I had it I was conditioning the leather seats in my shop. I had the door a little over halfway open when I nudged it by mistake and the door swung open and hit the corner of my workbench and put a small ding in the door. If I hadn't been so pissed I might have cried..lol

Then after I got my stripes painted I noticed a small ding in the rear panel. This time it scratched the paint whatever hit it. I'm almost positive it wasn't there before I took my car to the shop to be painted but I can't prove they did it so I let it go. I'm going to get both of them fixed but I still hate that it happend.

Seems like the harder you try to take care of it, the more likely its gonna get scratched and dinged.

Heavyg72 07-08-2008 08:57 PM

Same here..after 2 years I just got my first scratch on the front bumper moving something in the garage. It happened and after 2 yrs so I can't complain....it's not too bad!

Flatline1980 07-08-2008 09:04 PM

its like a bad collection..

00silverStang 07-08-2008 09:05 PM

Take a look at my thread and you'll feel better [&:]

sp44 07-08-2008 09:19 PM

Thanks guys. I knew it was inevitable. I just wish it would of happened later on down the road.

gothamems 07-08-2008 09:24 PM

Here is a tip for filling those scratches "blob free" with touch up pain. I NEVER use the applicator brush to apply the touchup paint...I use a toothpick. With a toothpick you can splinter it for fine applications, apply paint to on the the scratch, filling it and not getting any touchup paint outside the scratch, which probably looks like the Grand Canyon. If you can run your fingernail accross the scratch perpendicular, and catch it, scratch X will never work, it has to be filled with touchup paint. If you need to use 3M blue painter's tape to help you.