Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The little mods , are the worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Default The little mods , are the worth it ?

before I dip into the $500 gears or $250 Underdrive Pully/ harmonic balancer I'm wondering if some of these smaller mods actually do work

Stangwires / whatever else they call them - http://www.atomicperformance.com/ind...amp;ProdID=686

I've seen them from $50 to $90 some dont mention HP some claim 8-9 HP claims , do they add HP if so how much , and what is a good performance set ?

Champion Spark plugs

Heard everyone under the sun who has a GT has them ? Again any HP / throttle difference ?

BamaChips Race 93 tune

I have the Diablosport 93 Performance tune already , is this one better if so signifigently ?

just looking for cheap mods that will get me maybe 5hp each.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:58 PM
22Stang08
1st Gear Member

Default RE: The little mods , are the worth it ?

I would love to know about gaining HP with spark plug wires also.
Dave
Old 07-10-2008, 06:28 PM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Add 'em all up and you might see a +30 to +50 horsepower gain...and you'll spend about a grand.

Just save your money and get some boost under that hood!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: snicksrolos

Add 'em all up and you might see a +30 to +50 horsepower gain...and you'll spend about a grand.

Just save your money and get some boost under that hood!
but that sounds about how much you'll spend for CAI + Tune + Pullys same results . I would like more responses though
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Project Renegade
2nd Gear Member

hmmm im not sure. but if you think about it, its the little stuff that makes your stang stand away from the crowd. if it was me i would do the small stuff first, that way you build enough confidence in yourself to later do the heavy stuff (for fear that something may go horribly wrong and you would feel like a jackass for even thinking about doing it to your pride and joy, believe me i know, i have learned from personal experience.) i say go aheads with the small stuff, you can always make some more money to buy the heavier stuff, and by then when you already have enough money there will be an even better product on the market (and in some cases cheaper )
Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM
stiggy
1st Gear Member

lol... maybe +10hp if everythinggoes right and you get lucky. A CAI does +25 at very best and that is with an aggressive tune and 93 octant.
Stick with a CAI and then get a supercharger down the road.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

anyone know about these 3 specific things cause I know you guys have them
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

anyone know about these 3 specific things cause I know you guys have them
Gears... Yes, if you go with 3.73 or 4.10's your V6 will feel like a V8 with a noticable kick in the pants.

Under drive pulley? Are you planning on turning 10,000 rpm out of your V6? Fear you may throw the windings out of your alternator? Waste of money for a street car.

Wires? what wires? Nuclear wires? Gold pressed latinum wires? I have no comment other than you will be parting with cash with very little gain if any.

Stick to the proven mods, the basics of making an engine breath better is the best course to follow... CAI, headers, low restriction exhaust, superchargers, cams, etc. See what the big boys are doing. Why does Ford put a blower on the Shelby 500? Horse Power dosen't come cheap or from magical wires or fancy sparkplugs or any other snake oil gimmick out there. Either way, it will cost you. The decision is yours.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

+1 on the gears, CAI , but make sure you tune your car with the CAI.

They will not only get you better HP but you will feel alot more pull from the dig.
You will FEEL the difference with these.
A supercharger is gonna run you more than a grand. Quite a bit more.
Add install if you are'nt gonna do it yourself too.

Get the gears, CAI first. If you already have a tune, I'd still get another to match up with the CAI setup, but that's me.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Not sure about the poster above, but on the GT the UDPs get you 8-10 HP freed up and I have been told that its about the same for a sixxer. They are also part of mustang 101....maybe 102 unless you are going to put a s/c in it later

Good wires on the car is needed....wont add any HP but still look better than stock probably and should smooth out the idle probably, just like new COPs do for the GTs

A new tune from Doug is a great upgrade....you will kick yourself for not getting it sooner

Quick Reply: The little mods , are the worth it ?