Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 corvette or 06 mustang gt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:43 AM
ZeroIngold
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: C5 corvette or 06 mustang gt?

I would say take the stang. I test drove a 01 vete with the top locked in back and the only thing I liked better then my mustang was the heads up display. I would say it is worth a test drive though, I got to take the vette by myself for a drive and the burnout I did was much more controlled then my stang. They were really trying to get me to buy it so they let me take it for a spin with my girl even after I told them no but heck who turnes down a free beating on a vette? That said a few control arms and its taken care of. I felt at the time my 06 mustang gt with tune only was just as fast as the vette.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I actually went the other way around a year and a half ago! I had a 2000 Vette, which was a Hardtop model or what's commonly known as a FRC ( Fixed Roof Coupe). It was the precursor to the Z06, same body style, different from the hatchback coupe. They were offered in '99, and '00 as a third option to the convertible, and coupe, an "enthusiast" model. If I were to do it again, I would look at an '02 Z06, they were the first with 405 HP LS6, and if its important to you, the HUD (head up display) on the windshield was offered on the Z06. If you can live with no HUD, and 385 HP, then look for an '01. If you're looking for lower price, then I'd look for an '00 FRC. They have 345HP LS1, and have the heavy duty suspension (RPO Z51), and they have the HUD. GM pulled the HUD for '01, Vette fans went nuts, so they re introduced it in '02 An '02 Z should cost high 20's to low 30's depending on mileage and condition. An '01 you can get for mid to high 20's , maybe 30 depending on mileage and condition, and the FRC for low to mid 20's. I paid 24 for my 00 FRC w/ 36k miles on it back in Dec . '05. I am mentioning the Z06/FRC styles because they were really more performance oriented than the coupe and convertible. Not that the coupe and vert aren't, just that the Z's and FRC's have the more stiffer suspension, the Z has more horses, trans ratios different, etc.

Sometimes I miss it, but I got tired of no back seat, limited trunk space, etc, and I wanted somethig new, and I never had a Stang before, and the S197's really caught my eye, so I went for it. Also, I'm getting married in Dec, and its a little more practical for me to have an extra car lying around that can be for moree uses. Totally different animals, the Vette and Stang, can't really compare the two because they are sooo different, and especially since I have a GT automatic! To really enjoy the Vette, you gotta autox, and track day/HPDE the car, otherwise it gets old just driving around with such a car on the street/highways. Plus, they're are tons of mods that can be done to Vettes! Hope this helps, PM me if you need addt'l info. Like I said, I did what you want to do, just the other way...
Old 07-12-2008, 07:24 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

Is gas mileage a factor?? As i belive that vettes get very good gas mileage, probably about the same as your V6...but 350HP!!. I love vettes, i eventually want to own a 06 Z06. I personally was thinking of getting a 1999-2000 vette as it was about the same price as the 05 GT i purchased. I would have went with the vette, only thing is that i can't drive the vette year round (gotta love the canadian winters!!!), and the mustang itself is borderline. You can't go wrong with both cars. But vette's are not as common as mustangs, so you will get more looks, especially one that sounds good!!. Either way you can't go wrong with both cars, but if it was me, i think i would go vette. 350HP, and better gas milege, not a bad combo. If you do go vette, go yellow!
Old 07-12-2008, 07:33 PM
nite
3rd Gear Member

nah, go black! this was mine...

Old 07-12-2008, 08:24 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Like many others, I've had vettes (three C5s). The last one wasthe 405 hp Z06. Save up for that one. It's not just the extra 50 hp, it's about 2-300 lbs lighter than a C5 and a6 speed. I then had a Viper but wanted toheavily modify astock car for dragracing. The mustang has been a good platform. To modify in the same way a vette or viper, would cost way way way more.