Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
oldschoolera
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Water Spots

ORIGINAL: Nuke

Clay bar and wash/dry in the shade. I have the same problem with the alloy (any dark color shows water spots easily) when it air drys faster than I can microfiber it.

It's my damned windows that I can't get clean. Even used solvent on them...
I find that a good auto polish will clean water spots from my windows.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 PM
oldschoolera
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smokestang

Very important to wash-dry in the shade! for drying i use a california jelly blade to get about 85% of the water off the car and micro-fiber towels for the rest and finish off with a spray detailer. also important and not brought up is keeping your car away from sprinklers! the water is hard as hell and full of minerals and will leave spots from hell all over your ride! I left mine out one night and forgot about the sprinklers and the next day i had water spots so bad i needed to use a cleaner wax to remove them!( and thats on a very well waxed car) just food for thought.
+1 on the sprinkler system...definitely will leave water spots.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
xtoolmaker
1st Gear Member

Just read this whole thread.Anyone that hates to spend time drying their car should spend less time on this forum and more on their car care.I stopped using chamois [animal hide] when good micrfiber came out.For the window spots Griots Garage .com has glass polish that works great.I even used it on the outside of my windows on a 40 year old house I bought.It made them look like new.His microfiber is the best I have ever used.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:33 AM
bg_lee
1st Gear Member

+1 on the microfiber...but I take this even further...I NEVER (and yes I am shouting) dry my car with anything but aNEW microfiber cloth...you can get a pack of 8 for five bucks...takes about two rags to get it dryone to knock off the water and one to finish drying...oh and those chamois and absorbers...you will find out one day that those things will put those fine scratches in your car too because they pick up dirt evry time you dry with it...I swore never to use them again after I swirled the hell outta my lastGT with one...so far the new microfiber only thing has worked fine

And not only wash your car in the shade...but let thepaint cool off for an hour in the shade before washing (ESPECIALLY WITH BLACK)...if not you might as well do it full sun...

BRUSH did you say brush...I have that feeling I get when somebody runs their finger nails across a blacboard when somebody says they used the brush at the car wash...sh*t dude might as well **** on some sandpaper next time to wash it

To the OP...sorry dude have the same problem with my windows...nothing has gotten mine clean...I don't think I am brave enough to try steelwool
Old 09-01-2008, 04:45 AM
harleyman959798

Default agree

Originally Posted by onederful100
with a new black car, you must dry the car after washing or you will get water spots. there is no easy way. black is the hardest color to take car of, but it looks great when its well taken care of.
i agree black is a bitch to keep clean, ive had a hell of a time with my black 06 gt keep water spots off it, but it has to be dried after washing, get ya a california water blade, works wonders in drying
Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Obviously a good wax 3 times a year with touch ups, a non-spotting car wash soap, with a complete rinse, all done in the shade, not direct sunlight. Then a real animal skin Shami, Shami, Shami !!! Nothing can replace it.

General Shami to remove the bulk of the water on an area, wring out, then a fine water pass. My car never has waterspots afterwards on the paint body, glass or chrome. Erik