Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Tune Vs Aftermarket Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Tune Vs Aftermarket Tune

ORIGINAL: Back N Black

Dude, are you always this cranky?
No, not at all. I just want people to be aware and consider all things. I feel that people should do their research to validate or corroborate what is BS, what is emotion and what is fact. That’s all. Your car does not run on opinions and BS. Neither should you. These forums are a great places to find plenty of expert information. It’s also a great place to post personal experiences that may or not be based on fact or their own emotions. Either way, do your own independent research before plowing ahead with a mod. That’s my message here.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragon Stang

No, not at all. I just want people to be aware and consider all things. I feel that people should do their research to validate or corroborate what is BS, what is emotion and what is fact. That’s all. Your car does not run on opinions and BS. Neither should you. These forums are a great places to find plenty of expert information. It’s also a great place to post personal experiences that may or not be based on fact or their own emotions. Either way, do your own independent research before plowing ahead with a mod. That’s my message here.
Back N Black...
With that said, I think ALL the forum members use the info here to help them make an intelligent decision and that what anyone says is NOT simply taken as gospel. However, your words don't match your actions. Howarmat stated (and made it clear) his OPINION AND some of his info that he knows is fact, as substantiated by others. YOU have a choice touse it as you wish.

I doubt so many people here that have non-FRPP tunes would not have done so if there WAS any real danger or problem with them.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 AM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info.. This surely made up MY mind. Ford racing or nothing for my car.. I know some have had issues with emissions testing with the (2) 02's off. No thanks.. I don't need those types of problems. And a 6 hp difference is nothing.. You can't even feel 6 hp...
Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Back N Black
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragon Stang

Fair enough. Sometimes tone doesn't translate in typed messages. This message is better presented IMO, which doesn't really mean shiz.

I agree with what you are saying. I did a great deal of reading before making my decisions. Everyone should. I just thought your method of asking Matt what he meant was a bit harsh.

No worries.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: topbliss

Thanks for the info.. This surely made up MY mind. Ford racing or nothing for my car.. I know some have had issues with emissions testing with the (2) 02's off. No thanks.. I don't need those types of problems. And a 6 hp difference is nothing.. You can't even feel 6 hp...
IN MY OPINION....
The difference is probably more like 5-10 RWHP. Also, some people (I for one) can feel about 5 RWHP in the seat-of-the-pants (5 RWHP being about my minimum threshold). Also, you need to consider the better shifting if you have an auto the non-FRPP tune offers compared to the FRPP tune. Of course, that's your decision but, IN MY OPINION, you're being conservative in your thinking to the point of missing out on what these Stangs can really do... IN MY OPINION of course.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:24 PM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

ORIGINAL: topbliss

IN MY OPINION....
The difference is probably more like 5-10 RWHP. Also, some people (I for one) can feel about 5 RWHP in the seat-of-the-pants (5 RWHP being about my minimum threshold). Also, you need to consider the better shifting if you have an auto the non-FRPP tune offers compared to the FRPP tune. Of course, that's your decision but, IN MY OPINION, you're being conservative in your thinking to the point of missing out on what these Stangs can really do... IN MY OPINION of course.
Another thing to consider is that the FRPP tune is only 93 octane. Most others offer a range of 87-93 octane tunes. This is very important to me as I have an auto trans. I can get all the benefits of the improved auto trans shifting w/o having to run premium fuel all the time.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

frpp tune is only 91+ oct..........not 93
Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Oops, it says premium fuel only, so I thought it was 93 octane. Doesn't matter anyway, because it is still the highest priced available. Mid-grade 89 octane being in between.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: rlh6805

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Oops, it says premium fuel only, so I thought it was 93 octane. Doesn't matter anyway, because it is still the highest priced available. Mid-grade 89 octane being in between.
actually this brings up another good point. They are missing the ball here since they only have a 91 tune. All the other tuners have tunes for different OCT. You can get 3 tunes/tuner and CAI from them for cheaper than the Procal and CAI. With the additional tunes, many get an 87 oct tune. This tune will minimize the throttle delay and get some gains, not the same as a 91-93 tune but still much better than stock. In times like these many are going back to a 87 due to it being "cheaper." Once you get your ford tune that is it. You have to run 91 or higher all the time. Fine for some people, a big turn off for others. Some people also want the most gains for there tune, but just putting in 93 oct with the 91 tune doesnt get them, you need the tune for a 93 oct gas to do that.

I really think that the FRPP tune is just to restrictive for most people on here. If they would allow for user changes and more than 1 tune i think it would be alot better package and more people would do it, but right now they act like its govt owned and they want to be involved with every step you take. I understand they "must" do that to assure the warranty stays valid though.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:17 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

I heard an interesting factoid from a guy who had been a technician on Jags for 32 years about this. He also owned a Shelby GT. We were discussing the lack of longevity on the stock bottom ends for supercharged cars such as mine. It was his opinion that all the high horsepower cars that were experiencing engine failure were doing so because the aftermarket tuners were raising or even eliminating the rev limiter in the tune. He believes the stock bottom end just will not go higher than the amount the FRPP tune allows, which I believe is around 6000 (i am estimating here). I know my car comes up on its limiter way too fast and I had wished for more many times but I think this guy is right. One other thing, I just cannot imagine ever needing more power because this thing can get out of control very easily, and I have had plenty of instruction at racing schools.

Quick Reply: FRPP Tune Vs Aftermarket Tune