Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeda Pulleys on Check Eng Flash!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:04 AM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

Default Steeda Pulleys on Check Eng Flash!

Ok I ordered the cold air kit, the SCT and the Steeda pulleys all at the same time, I installed the CAI and reflashed, got the engine light on solid 3 days later, disconnect baterry and it never came back, 800 miles and 2 weeks later I intsalled the UD pulleys within 10 minutes I get the engine light flashing, then it goes away, 15 minutes later I notice that I lost some performance when the engine light started flashing again, very sluggish, 5 minutes later light goes out car is perfect, this goes on for 1/2 hour 30 miles, then no more light car is perfect but I was 15 miles from home, I ran it a little hard right before I got home to see if it would flash again but it didn't, should I reflash the ECM with the SCt again or did the ECM somehow compensate for the pulleys??
Old 05-06-2005, 05:41 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Pulleys on Check Eng Flash!

Wish I could help other than suggesting you call Steeda and Superchips to see what they have to say.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:46 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

In no way am I bashing SCT or the XCalibrator. BUT.......it sounds to me like your tune is off. Possibly leaning out since you say you were playing around prior to it happening. If you had a Diablo, you could adjust it sitting in your car.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 AM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

I have the same tune that supposedly was set up for the CAI and the pulleys, maybe it is in need of a better tune, I will contact SCT later today. I wish I didn't order the pulleys but they are on there now! Car feels great so maybe it will not come back and cause problems.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jagbits

Ok I ordered the cold air kit, the SCT and the Steeda pulleys all at the same time, I installed the CAI and reflashed, got the engine light on solid 3 days later, disconnect baterry and it never came back, 800 miles and 2 weeks later I intsalled the UD pulleys within 10 minutes I get the engine light flashing, then it goes away, 15 minutes later I notice that I lost some performance when the engine light started flashing again, very sluggish, 5 minutes later light goes out car is perfect, this goes on for 1/2 hour 30 miles, then no more light car is perfect but I was 15 miles from home, I ran it a little hard right before I got home to see if it would flash again but it didn't, should I reflash the ECM with the SCt again or did the ECM somehow compensate for the pulleys??
When the check engine light started flashing were you de-excellerating from a high MPH? Mine did this running 80 Mph and letting off the gas completely. There is a TSB out about this involving the coil packs. The fix is supposed to be a re-tune at the dealer. They have a brand new tune available for the GT that just came out in April. The problem is when you re-flash with the SCT you overwrite all the fixes the factory made. I assume that SCT will have to get this new tune from Ford and incorporate it into the next release of tunes. Just my two cents.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:42 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I don't think your pulleys have anything to do with the tune. I just think the tune might have possibly been a bit lean.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:08 PM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

Michael from SCT returned my call an hour after I left him my message, super fast and new exactly what the problem was, OG GT's need a new tune something about misfire problem, any time your engine light flashes on and off it means a misfire happened, he told me if it happens again, to get my Xcal re-tuned and reflash my ECM or download the new program if I have the data cable. So far today no light car runs perfect, I will keep an eye on it, hopefully the problem will just up and go away, a lot like my first wife did !!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: jagbits

Michael from SCT returned my call an hour after I left him my message, super fast and new exactly what the problem was, OG GT's need a new tune something about misfire problem, any time your engine light flashes on and off it means a misfire happened, he told me if it happens again, to get my Xcal re-tuned and reflash my ECM or download the new program if I have the data cable. So far today no light car runs perfect, I will keep an eye on it, hopefully the problem will just up and go away, a lot like my first wife did !!
yeah the flashing CEL light is not a good thing...the flashing is telling you that the missfire is severe enough to damage the engine or exhaust sensors/cats.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:30 PM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

I know, not healthy, I think it's solved though, all is well so far. This is the problem with aftermarket performance parts, the car is too new, SCT knew the exact problem though so I will get the new tune and see how it goes.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:49 PM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

Ok I may have found the problem, my CAI air cleaner was not secured at all! It was just hanging an inch away from the tube it connects to. I guess I forgot to tighten the big hose clamp, so when I stomped on it, perhaps it sucked too much air and threw the engine light on ?? I tightened it and I bet my problems are solved. I am down to a tiny belt squeak at start up now, I don't think the pulleys are worth the time and money to be honest, but they are on so f**k it.

Quick Reply: Steeda Pulleys on Check Eng Flash!