Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Mods for $300 to increase HP and Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Best Mods for $300 to increase HP and Gas Mileage

Ya when I first started modding I tried to go for the hp and mpg increase too, changed the exhaust: stayed to same, got an intake: stayed the same hp when up a little, tuned: mpg went down because i drove WOT more and hp went up, S/Ced: 12.5 mpg, WOT a lot and its the same as when I had the CAI w/ tune obviously a lot more hp. But the worst thing I did for hp and mpg increase is put on 20's, I obviously wasn't expecting an increase from it but I could surly tell my car was slower and my mpg went down. The only thing that I can think of that could get you better mpg is getting an economy tune like acascianelli said. The reason why I get 12.5 mpg is I drive around a small base where I stop every 15 to 20 seconds, and the only time I go on the highway is to play around. But I really don't care how much I spend on gas because I love my car and I love to drive it.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blue Meanie

...Ialways wonder why people would want to throw away $300-500 a year in gas if they didn't have to.

OP would like to increase HP and Gas mileage. He didn't ask which mods don't increase mileage.
Throw away $$? I bought this car to perform and I expected to PAY to get more performance, not to befuel efficient. If you're worried about retirement, sell the Stang.

The OP SPECIFICALLY asked about CAI and axlebacks with respect to increasing his RWHP and gas mileage, my friend. I was simply answering his question with respect to both.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:23 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Nuke

There are no mods that will provide any significant fuel mileage gains other than the "bicycle mod".

I always wonder why someone spends $25k-$30k for their vehicle,then hundreds or thousands in mods and THEN wants to save $5-$10/week in gas.
Why wouldn't you? All you people who rag on gas mileage questions, send me the $5-10 a week you don't care about so I can retire early.

Ialways wonder why people would want to throw away $300-500 a year in gas if they didn't have to.

OP would like to increase HP and Gas mileage. He didn't ask which mods don't increase mileage.
1. Like stated, no mods realy increase gas mileage by any significant amount, UDPs would probably be the closet MPG increasing mod.
2. No mods are free, so spending $200 for a mod to get .5 MPG more doesnt really get you anything.

Look at it this way:

you drive 12000 miles a year
you avg 20 mpg
you spend $2400 on gas @ $4.00/gal

Now you add something that saves gas
you avg 21 mpg
you spend $2285 on gas @ $4.00/gal

So you have increase your MPG by 1 mpg, which is good for adding a mod IMO, and saved $115, or maybe $2 per week. But the UDPs were $200 so really you are still in the hole $85
so after 2 years you have now saved a whopping $40 perhaps........Congratulations, your 2 years of trying to cut costs just bought you and mere half tank of gas!!!

This is why it make no sense to try and BUY gas saving mods. If anything get a Fitch Catalyst or somthing like that. $160 and it supposed to increase your milage more than 1 mpg. I thought about one about a year ago, never got around to getting it to try it out though.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:42 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

you need to re-read the op's post.

"Im not overly concerned with HP right now cauz i dont have the money to really make my car fast, and well i want to wait and do that part right."

...Ialways wonder why people would want to throw away $300-500 a year in gas if they didn't have to.

Throw away $$? I bought this car to perform and I expected to PAY to get more performance, not to befuel efficient. If you're worried about retirement, sell the Stang.

The OP SPECIFICALLY asked about CAI and axlebacks with respect to increasing his RWHP and gas mileage, my friend. I was simply answering his question with respect to both.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

First off, I'm not worried about fuel efficiency in regards to operating costs, I too bought the car for performance, but driving it 500-600 miles a week, I appreciate the fact that it can get more than reasonable mileage for what it is.

I also appreciate that all of the mods that I've done so far have at worst, had no negative impact on mileage, and in some cases increased it markedly.

The fact that you have no interest in your carsfuelmileage or lack of it,does not negate the fact that other people might.

A trueelitist might say that if you were so concerned with performance, why didn't you buy a faster car to begin with.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

There are no mods that will provide any significant fuel mileage gains other than the "bicycle mod".

I always wonder why someone spends $25k-$30k for their vehicle,then hundreds or thousands in mods and THEN wants to save $5-$10/week in gas.
Why wouldn't you? All you people who rag on gas mileage questions, send me the $5-10 a week you don't care about so I can retire early.

Ialways wonder why people would want to throw away $300-500 a year in gas if they didn't have to.

1. Like stated, no mods realy increase gas mileage by any significant amount, UDPs would probably be the closet MPG increasing mod.
2. No mods are free, so spending $200 for a mod to get .5 MPG more doesnt really get you anything.

Look at it this way:

you avg 20 mpg
you spend $2400 on gas @ $4.00/gal

Now you add something that saves gas
you avg 21 mpg
you spend $2285 on gas @ $4.00/gal

So you have increase your MPG by 1 mpg, which is good for adding a mod IMO, and saved $115, or maybe $2 per week. But the UDPs were $200 so really you are still in the hole $85
so after 2 years you have now saved a whopping $40 perhaps........Congratulations, your 2 years of trying to cut costs just bought you and mere half tank of gas!!!

This is why it make no sense to try and BUY gas saving mods. If anything get a Fitch Catalyst or somthing like that. $160 and it supposed to increase your milage more than 1 mpg. I thought about one about a year ago, never got around to getting it to try it out though.

I feel the 3.31 gears are bringing more than 1 mpg. But, like you said, it may take the OP 100,000 miles before they pay for themselves if he decides to go that route.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:47 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

First off, I'm not worried about fuel efficiency in regards to operating costs, I too bought the car for performance, but driving it 500-600 miles a week, I appreciate the fact that it can get more than reasonable mileage for what it is.

I also appreciate that all of the mods that I've done so far have at worst, had no negative impact on mileage, and in some cases increased it markedly.

The fact that you have no interest in your carsfuelmileage or lack of it,does not negate the fact that other people might.

A trueelitist might say that if you were so concerned with performance, why didn't you buy a faster car to begin with.

That's damn skippy!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:58 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you can build your car:

1. cheap
2. fast
3. reliable

but you can only have 2 out 3
Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

When I went to underdrive pullies, I picked up 2MPG. I wasn't concerned with the MPG though. The CAI and 93 tune picked up 4MPG (it actually costs less in the long run to pay more for the fuel for me.) The last time I put the factory tune back on to take it to the shop, MPG dropped that much. Changing the exhaust won't pick up any noticeable MPG but will help the sound.

I'm not concerned about mileage as much as power but for some things, it's nice to see it will pay for itself within 5 years. When the gears go in soon, the mileage will disappear.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I have a Granatelli CAI and a Hypertech MaxEnergy tune, run my tires at 38 PSI, use Mobil 1 oil and drive 55-60 mph on the freeway and am averaging 29.5 mpg on frequent trips from Crozet, VA to Tappahannock, VA. A 125 trip one way. I think the things I listed helped but driving light footed probably does the most.

Quick Reply: Best Mods for $300 to increase HP and Gas Mileage