Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calipers, Rotors and Pads, OH MY!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Calipers, Rotors and Pads, OH MY!

I am only one opinion, I wont run the HPS/HP+ unless im on the track anymore. If you had a problem with the OE pads squeeking, its a good chance the HPS' will also, especially when cold.
I had the HPS' on all 4 corners for 2 years and they were great, downfall was cold squeek occasionally, and the brake dust.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

IMO go with the Blue or Silver or Black, not the Green or Orange, 'to each his own' but those look bad to me.

Not sure where you picked up the myth about warping rotors. Highly unlikely. More likely someone had a badly bedded pad or possibly a hot spot in the rotor, causing a shimmy and mistakenly thought it was a warped rotor. Properly bedded Hawk pads (or any brand)will not warp rotors or cause other mechanical issues - yes some of them will dust and squeal, like Stoenr said - the more high performance the worse they will be, its the trade off. Personally I think the OE pads are just fine for the street.

AutoX is not hard on brakes, the OE pads will work just fine. Now road track...thats a WAY different story.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

I say go black, the blue is flashy imo, and the green and orange are definitely a joke, you weren't serious about them, were you?

Stoenr,
I freakin' love your new track album, your sig is my background.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 AM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

Not really. I wanted to look at something different than red. Looked for some complimentary colors to the blue. hard to find. Everything looks good against black. Blue is a bit different.

I'm likely going to do black or blue. I think the blue may be too different than the body color and would clash. And I may not end up doing any of it at all.

The green kinda makes it look like I put Kawasaki brakes on it. LOL.

ORIGINAL: rshamekh

I say go black, the blue is flashy imo, and the green and orange are definitely a joke, you weren't serious about them, were you?

Stoenr,
I freakin' love your new track album, your sig is my background.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 AM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

Maybe I should just replace the OEs with OEs to fix the bit of a squeal. The car is in the shop at the moment getting the RCS TSB fixed and my 23 error fixed. When i took it in last week to get the regular service done and look at the TSB stuff i got all green checkmarks for health. Tire wear, pad wear, etc.

The pad squeal developed in the rain going home from work one day last fall. been annoying me for the better part of a year. Only really does it when wet. Dunno, the service manager posited that it could be a higher metal content in that particular pad causing the noise at certain speeds/pressures.

*shrug*

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

IMO go with the Blue or Silver or Black, not the Green or Orange, 'to each his own' but those look bad to me.

Not sure where you picked up the myth about warping rotors. Highly unlikely. More likely someone had a badly bedded pad or possibly a hot spot in the rotor, causing a shimmy and mistakenly thought it was a warped rotor. Properly bedded Hawk pads (or any brand)will not warp rotors or cause other mechanical issues - yes some of them will dust and squeal, like Stoenr said - the more high performance the worse they will be, its the trade off. Personally I think the OE pads are just fine for the street.

AutoX is not hard on brakes, the OE pads will work just fine. Now road track...thats a WAY different story.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clustersnarf
Not really. I wanted to look at something different than red. Looked for some complimentary colors to the blue. hard to find. Everything looks good against black. Blue is a bit different.

I'm likely going to do black or blue. I think the blue may be too different than the body color and would clash. And I may not end up doing any of it at all.

The green kinda makes it look like I put Kawasaki brakes on it. LOL.
Red is overdone, true. Some OEM Brembos aregold; that might match up well against the blue. Or yellow. The green shown is definitely too bright; if you went darker green things *might* change. I guess with dust it might go darker anyway, hehe. The orage happens to look like you're trying to match the turn signal; if there were other orange highlights it might work better. White might look good until it gets dirty. If you are considering a stripe package on the car, color matching to that would go well.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

I say black or blue.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i would go blue or black with your color car
Old 07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

Take a look here: https://mustangforums.com/m_4326553/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

I painted mine Vista Blue G2, pic is at the bottom of second page.

Dustin
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I had the Steeda brake lines, PowerSlot Rotors, and Hawk ceramic pads installed at the same time. The braking was awesome but the squealing was HORRIBLE. I got rid of the Hawk pads for some Wagner ThermoQuiets and everything works great.

That noise was so embarrassing...

Quick Reply: Calipers, Rotors and Pads, OH MY!