Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for those who replaced fuel pump (TSB)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

Default for those who replaced fuel pump (TSB)...

what were your symptoms that made you do it, how long did the dealer have your car, and is a tsb covered even after your warranty is up.....my car keeps stalling and it is a fuel problem...i replaced the fuel filter, and cold air filter with no luck....car wouldnt start after work and went to failsafe mode..kept sputtering at idle then die....
Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
hunter306
1st Gear Member

Default RE: for those who replaced fuel pump (TSB)...

I had the fuel pump in my V6 replaced after two incidents coming off of the expressway. The engine would nearly stall on merge into surface traffic . It only happened if I was driving continuous long distances, and then coming to a stop, restarting.

The ford dealer was able to reproduce it, so they swapped out the fuel pump under warranty. Haven't had an issue since.

Took 2 business days in my case.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

My car had the pump replaced two weeks ago & it still exhibits the symptoms(hesitation, near stalling, seemingly feels like it's out of gas). The first time it felt different I took it in the following day(both times).
This is the first problem ever with this car, so I'm just hoping the replacement pump is also faulty.
Your problem sounds like a failing throttle body(is your check engine light on?). My first GT(an '05) had the TB go bad and it ran like crap all the time, with the fuel pump issue, it's usually off-idle and during part-throttle situations(like low speed passing) when rowing through the gears on a stick car(like mine).
It usually is one day if the pump need replacing(depending on where you live, I'm in Los Angeles), but I am convinced the saddle-type tank the S197s have are ultra sensitive to fuel pump cavitation and work harder because of the tank design to draw fuel through the system(IMO).
It's currently in the shop and theservice attendantsays all the codes read fine, but I went to the dealership service manager and he kept the car to go through it with a fine tooth comb, they might have to replace the pump once again, so now I'm in Mustang V-6-land(the loaner), not a bad place to be .

[/align]
Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

so i've been doing a search on my problem and i found thispost from another guy...he explainsEXACTLY what i am giong through....

have a 2005 Mustang, and within the past couple of days I began experiencing performance problems. When the car idles, it sometimes begins to run at very low RPM and is the engine is unresponsive to accelleration. The problem has progressed and now it occasionaly becomes unresponsive while driving and eventually stalls. It sometimes has trouble restarting, but eventually begins to run normally again

are TSB's covered even after the warranty is up like mine is at 44,000?

can any of you guys guess why this is happening to my car
Old 07-15-2008, 12:01 AM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

did the pump fix the problem
Old 07-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The symptoms I saw were that after a highway cruise the car would stumble slightly when attempting to accelerate after I left the highway. For just a split second there was no power and you couldn't hear the engine. It happened fast. Fast enough the tachometer didn't show a drop in revolutions. But you could sure feel and hear the "stall" or "stumble".

I had the TSB performed but since I hardly ever drive the car on the highway I haven't had a chance to test this out yet and see if it is fixed or not now. The problem was intermittent to begin with.