Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i got the vibe

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 AM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Default i got the vibe

my shortened aluminum "rangershaft" (which is identical to the spydershaft) has the very slightest vibration starting at around 80mph on up. It's barely noticeable, but it's there none the less.

The question is, has anyone very rotated one of the flanges 90 or 180 degress and it actually make any difference? (in a good way, of course)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default RE: i got the vibe

dont do that! you scared me, i though you traded in your GT for Pontiac Vibe[sm=badidea.gif]
Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 AM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

nope, no pontiac for me....until maybe the G8 sport truck comes out....
Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I don't see any control arms in your sig. If that's the case, that's probably the source of your vibration. Between changing to a 1 peice, and lowering your car, your pinion angle has to be off. I'm surprised you're only getting it above 80mph.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 AM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

i've heard a lot of discussions about the pinion angle causing ds vibe....i'm not convinced....i don't think that little bit the car was lowered will make enough difference on the pinion angle to cause a problem, but, I'll talk to some people here locally and see what they tell me.

i think that going to aftermarket lca's and uca's with hard bushing will make the vibe worse, imo
Old 07-15-2008, 09:57 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

The one piece driveshaft alone changes the pinion angle. Lowering it just makes it worse. I don't have any numbers as far as vibration, but I do know that every 2 degrees that you're off equals about 10 horsepower lost through the drivetrain. Also, with a one piece driveshaft, there's nothing to take up the slack, so pinion angle is critical to keeping down vibration.

You're saying you're not convinced that pinion angle causes the issue, yet you have a one piece, haven't compensated for the change in pinion angle, and you have vibration. [sm=trust_me.gif] Get your pinion angle adjusted.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM
05Saleen#243
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rojizostang

i've heard a lot of discussions about the pinion angle causing ds vibe....i'm not convinced....i don't think that little bit the car was lowered will make enough difference on the pinion angle to cause a problem, but, I'll talk to some people here locally and see what they tell me.

i think that going to aftermarket lca's and uca's with hard bushing will make the vibe worse, imo
Nope. I installed my DS shortly before my adjustable UCA and got the vibe, and my car isn't lowered as much as yours. After installing the UCA the difference was amazing, and I have the spherical bearing as opposed to the poly bushing. You definitely need the UCA.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

+1 ON ADJUSTING YOUR PINION ANGLE
Old 07-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Supposedly if you aren't lowered you don't need to worry about vibration with a spydershaft. I think leonardracing even states as much.

Is that a load of crap?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

don't get me wrong, i'm all for doing anything to get it to run smooth as silk, i'm just not persuaded yet that adjusting the pinion angle is the answer. for example, when i was a kid, we lowered, raised, did all kinds of stuff with air shocks on our mustangs...never had any vibration issues.

on my last mustang (00gt), i didn't get the vibe until after installing 4.10's, way after the car was lowered. i never got the vibe with the car justlowered

on this mustang,
after lowering: no vibe
after gears: no vibe
after driveshaft: vibe

why didn't it vibe after i originally lowered the car? the two piece drive shaft accentuates the pinion angle compared to the 1 piece, because it moves at the middle and at the rear pinion flange, there's a shorter distance for the joints to adjust to for them to line up, so the two piece causes a greater amount of deflection than the one piece shaft

in other words, the deflectionon the joints of the one piece shaft is less because the angles are going to be closer to zero than with the two piece.

i also talked to one of the local shops, and they disagree that setting the pinion angle will help

and, shaftmasters themselves on their website claim that pinion angles aren't a factor..but aftermarket lca's are. they will not guarantee their shafts not to vibrate if aftermarket control arms have been installed fwiw

http://www.shaftmasters.com/store/in...roducts_id=225

but, if a pinion angle adjustment is in order like most of you say, would i want more bend at the joints, or less?

let's not have a war like there was a couple days ago about floor jacks......let's just discuss it

Quick Reply: i got the vibe