Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new cai and tune - hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default RE: new cai and tune - hesitation

Try doing the throttle reset.It goes something like"Key On Engine Off", waiting for most of the warning lights to go out, and slowly depressing the throttleALL the way and releasing it. IĀ“mnot sure if itĀ“s "Key On" or "Key Off" on the throttle releaseand the site search hasnĀ“t been working, but googling

throttle reset site:www.mustangforums.com

for the specific procedure might find something.

Norm
Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I don't know if this works or not but, this is how to do it,

"Turn key on. Wait for dash warning lights to go out. depress the gas slowly till it hits bottom, then release it slowly. Turn key off and start the car."

I've also read that it seems to work more for auto-trans then manuals but does not seem to have any ill effects either way.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

also when was the last time you cleaned your throttle body, i have a brenspeed tune and the TB needs to be clean for it to work properly. You will need to take off the CAI and then clean the TB. MAke sure you clean behind the blades by pushing on them to open and then clean with a towel. You will be amazed at the amount of black crap you will get out. Good luck
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like my poor description of what I'm feeling is confusing y'all. It's not throttle lag. when I get on it from a start it goes, then it seems to REALLY go, sort of like a rush. It coincides with more "air sound".

Also, to answer some posts; I have not driven the car much since the install, maybe +/- 1 hr or50 miles. The car has 1200 miles on it so TB is clean. I'll try the throttle reset some have suggested.

I'm also concerned that the cai filter does not seem to be sitting in the space created by the heat shieldcorrectly. I've tried loosening the bands and monkeying the configuration every which way but it still seems like the hood is against the filter and the filter is touching the inner fender. There's not much else to do; it seems to be wedged in. Is thisthe way the JLT is?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The resistances in the electronic throttle (IIRC, there are three independent ones) are all subject to tolerances, and somehow the PCM needs to be told what the actual resistances (voltages at the PCM terminals, I think) are that correspond to 0% and 100% throttle. IĀ“m not that much of a computer geek, but a tune might have the possibility of disturbing whatever ETC calibration existed,which could then make the electronic throttle behave a bit oddly. It may think you want less throttle coming off idle than what you (and your right foot) are asking for.

BTW, take any floor mats out so you can get the full range of pedal motion.

Another thought is that your charge motion plates may be involved somehow.

Norm
Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I had a sort of lag well a lag before I added my throttle body. Hammer the throttle and would just hesitate and then kick in, very annoying. Well I had taken it in to the shop for the brakes and had them put on the new throttle body. Man when I pulled out onto the road my car hit like a **** like it never had before. So maybe it is a throttle body issue.