Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter - has anyone tried this before?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Shifter - has anyone tried this before?

Yeah so far its pretty good!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I dont think early hurst model even came with bushing and they used the stock ones actually.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I have heard that the stock bushings with the hurst are the way to go
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM
bplemmons
1st Gear Member

I had the rattles with my Hurst and tried all sorts of ways to get rid of the rattles. Finally I thought of switching the Hurst bushings out with the stock ones and not only did it clear up 99% of the rattles, the shifter has a better feel to me now...........

BP
Old 07-21-2008, 12:55 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CharlieW

Yes, actually , I have done the same thing after experimenting with a couple of different shifters, I put the stock shifter back in with the red urethane bushings, and I have liked it pretty well, not as notchy as the Hurst, but firmer than stock.

CHW
That's what I'm running, and I love it. Shorter throw would be nice, but just a want, not a need.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

wow, i am surprised with all the problems yall are having with the hurst. i have had mine in for about 6 months and i love it...no rattles and it shifts really good. knotchy but not annoyingly knotchy...its what i expected before installing it and we all know how that is always a plus in the wonderful world of modding
Old 07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

I am sick of my hurst shifter. the rattles are just on my last nerve. I've done everything from blue locktite, cobra bob's gaskets, lock washers, nuts, and it still rattles. As soon as I get the money, I'm buying the MGW.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

Well a few months ago I bought a Hurst shifter on a whim to try it out. Installed it and thought it was better than stock but still not the greatest feel. It seemed hard to get into any gear and I was hoping it would loosen up over time. It didnt and I have plans to take it to the track next week and dont want to miss shifts. Today out came the Hurst and the stocker was going back in and after looking at the two I came up with an idea. I swapped all the Hurst bushings into the stocker since they are way firmer than the stock ones and put it in like that. Man its almost the perfect feel! Only thing I might do now is purchase a new shift ball and Im set. Just curious if anyone had tried this or if they were thinking about it ....
i would put the hurst back in and get a che k meber with tq limiters http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-208.htmand that should help your shifting. i have the new hurst and no porblems so far i do have a rattle but its not the shifter
Old 07-21-2008, 03:23 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I have had the hurst for over 1.5 years and not once had any rattles or problems. I used blue locktite on install and that is it. I think there have to be some incorrect installs or locktite isnt being used.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

agreed..i'd almost say to all of you that are having problems...take it to a shop and have a pro take a look at it. if he cant fix it, then get the MGW or whatever is to you liking. but if he can identify the prolem, then you save the extra money and just write it off as a bad install

Quick Reply: Shifter - has anyone tried this before?