Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank Probs started! Is this the info?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default Gas tank Probs started! Is this the info?

Well, I bought my GT on April 5 and have filled up the tank three times OK. Last week it was getting bad and tonight it was unacceptable. Had to keep squeezing the lever and only got in about 5 gallons before my hand started to hurt! Is this info all I need to take to the dealer?
ISSUE
Some 2005 Mustang vehicles may exhibit the fuel tank being difficult or slow to fill. The condition may be described as repeated rapid shutoffs of the filling station pump nozzle or multiple nozzle shut offs while attempting to fill the fuel tank. The condition may be due to the fuel tank vapor venting system inside the fuel tank.

ACTION
The dealership is to install a new fuel tank. The new fuel tank has a revised internal venting system to improve fuel filling remove the fuel tank assembly per section 310-01 of the workshop manual.

PART NUMBER
5R3A-9002-AA

WARRANTY STATUS
Eligible under provisions of new vehicle limited warranty coverage and emissions warranty covereage.

TIME
3.6 Flagged Hours To Fix Under Warranty

Thanks for any help y'all.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:31 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas tank Probs started! Is this the info?

yea.. we had many post about this long ago.. the sad part is that I took mine to get replaced 2 weeks ago yesterday I was filling my tank and it started to cut out again??? wtf
Old 05-08-2005, 03:54 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Well, I bought my GT on April 5 and have filled up the tank three times OK.
Huh? Just three tanks of gas in a month? Hell, I have more than that in the first week... ahahaha!! 600+ miles so far; plus I can't keep my foot out of it. [sm=drooldude.gif] Going on another cruise tomorrow... this time up the SoCal coastline.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

My 05 GT, had the tank problem right away. Prior to taking her in for the replacement, I drove her to Texas, from Indy, and back the first week in April, 3200 miles in 8 days. Since I didn't want to risk running down to empty in the middle of no where, I fueled up 15 times.

What my car did better with, was to turn the pump handle, imagine its the hands on a clock, with the standard habit of the handle being at 6:00 to fill up, rotate the handle back counter clockwise to 2:00, and fill from there. Not full speed blast it in, but a decent fill speed. I got decent at this, and filled OK the last 4-5 times. Of couse you have to pay attention to the amout you've already pumped in, or you might hit it one last time at he end, and spill fuel down the side of the car.

It took the dealship over three weeks to get my new tank in. With it installed, I haven't had a single problem yet. She takes fuel like anyother car I ever owned. I am glad I took her in for the replacement tank.

PS. up to 5900 miles since Feb. 3rd.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12415/B2795ACDBFFE4A3589D488F7CC90CEF2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the tip, Higgie. I think I tried it at the 3 o'clock position. Will try it at 2. I also had this prob at the same station, Mobil, and it has new pumps- the kind with only one nozzle, where you select the grade and it comes out the same nozzle. The little locking lever that you use to keep gas flowing without you having to hold the trigger (what's that called?) is at the back of the handle. The previous one was up near the front, under where your index finger would be. I'm gonna try a different station on the way to work and see if a different style pump will work better.

And don-w...
I only drive 16 miles round trip to work but hey, I think a trip up the coast is a great idea! Next stop- Ventura County Line!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:04 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

I still think there is anothe issues here.. other then takes.. I'm getting 220-50 miles per tank. doesnt that seem a little low? Can these cars be running way to rich and if so how much gas can I save with a good tune.. haha.. fast stang with a hummer fuel milage.. sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Old 05-09-2005, 02:07 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

lostsoul... mashing the loud pedal affects mileage. Just thought you might want to know.

BTW, I get about 275mi per tank. But, I haven't learned to take it easy yet, either.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Don't expect too much...I get around 275 to the tank also. I even purposely drove it like a good little boy for a tank of fuel just to see what difference it would make...NADA.

But on the other end of the spectrum, my worse tank mileage was 210
Old 05-09-2005, 02:51 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Had this happen to me for the first time yesterday on a road trip.
I had been filling up at the local chevron, but this is the first time
I used a different gas station. Need to make an appointment...
Old 05-09-2005, 06:25 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

well.. if I'm not the only one.. then I guess thats normal.. but I still wonder if a tune would help me out on that a little more... maybe...

Quick Reply: Gas tank Probs started! Is this the info?