Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my new toy last weekend!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Picked up my new toy last weekend!

GT500 spoiler
!!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deekum1627

really nice stang man. those rims are goin to look sick. are those the ford side scoops?
The scoops are all aftermarket, I do not know the brand. I almost bought a California Special from the local dealer, and I really liked the side scoops. These are slightly different.

When I set out to buy this car, I wanted to get a silver one and add a nice body kit and the scoops, then paint the stripes. After searching every used car website I could find, I came across this one, and it was perfect! Everything I wanted to do bodywise was already done, and done well. I figured I could buy the basic silver GT vert and do what I want, or get this one and enjoy it now. The lady (thats right, lady - 6 kids!) that owned it took very good care of it, and picked all the mods herself. But she got a Shelby GT500 vert and had to sell this one.

After finally settling the money part I was too impatient to wait for a truck to arrive with the car on it, so I loaded up the family and drove down to Utah to get it.

It is not lowered, but the body kit really makes it look that way. I was considering lowering it because after the new wheels go on there will still be about 2" between the tire and the fender, and I want to close that gap a little, but the front rides so low already that I am afraid I won't be able to take it anywhere in town if I go lower..

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I have been lurking here since I decided to buy, and started ordering my parts after learning a LOT from your posts (before I even paid for the car!). Now I have to photoshop myself a nice sig!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Nice choice of color. Silver is my favorite overall. Easy to keep clean yet looks excellent.

And yep I'm from Billings as well. I looked at those pictures - take at the frosty freeze parking lot no doubt. I just cruised by there tonight! haha My roomate Mishri also drives a GT. Red fire. Mine is black with a little AK-47 sticker in the rear window.

I'm sure we'll see you around. Billings is a fairly small world.

We should start a mustang club here eh? lol
Old 07-24-2008, 12:36 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

Nice choice of color. Silver is my favorite overall. Easy to keep clean yet looks excellent.

And yep I'm from Billings as well. I looked at those pictures - take at the frosty freeze parking lot no doubt. I just cruised by there tonight! haha My roomate Mishri also drives a GT. Red fire. Mine is black with a little AK-47 sticker in the rear window.

I'm sure we'll see you around. Billings is a fairly small world.

We should start a mustang club here eh? lol
Yeah that was at the Softies parking lot.. I actually was cruising 24th the night before with my 15 yo son and his friend.. It was a kick.. lots of kids tryin to race me though.. and here I am dead stock.. haha.

Oh, and I almost forgot.. the car also has purple neon underglow.. heh.. pretty cool at night.. Got the shaker1000 system too but I think I will be replacing that next summer with a real stereo.. I was a professional car/home audio installer for about 10 years, so I have had some ideas kicking around in my head for quite a few years that I might just have to implement on this car. The shaker system is decent for a stock radio, but even my work truck has better right now.. haha. Funny thing though, I find myself driving without the radio even on.. just a joy to drive it and listen to the sweet music of the exhaust.

I am quite happy with the factory exhaust at this point, but I wouldnt mind a little more noise, and I definitely want better performance. I am leaning toward shorty headers and Corsa axelback, with possibly a mandrel bent mid pipe setup with high flow cats. I just wonder how much longer I can hold out before ordering a s/c or turbo.. hopefully at least a year.. The waiting for stuff like that is half the fun..
Old 07-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Softies that's what that place is called. I've seen it on 24th about 10 million times but never stopped there. And yeah if you cruise up and down that street on Friday or Saturday nights from around 8-midnight you'll have people try to challenge you. It happens a lot. Lots of younger kids with little riced out civics and accords. I had one guy roll next to me with a SS LS1 camaro revving his engine at me. Meh... No thanks. If you want to avoid that I suggest going for joy rides earlier in the evening.

My girl and I like to go for a drive on Saturday afternoons so that's when you'll be likely to see us around. Or in the evenings on Wednesdays. I like to drive up to the heights and then back over to 24th and down to grand. Nice little drive.

If you want more performance shorties might not be the best choice. I've heard long tubes give better gains. I want to get some kooks for mine next year, and a high flow catted H.

Wish I could afford a blower. Gonna be years before I have the coin for that.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:31 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

Softies that's what that place is called. I've seen it on 24th about 10 million times but never stopped there. And yeah if you cruise up and down that street on Friday or Saturday nights from around 8-midnight you'll have people try to challenge you. It happens a lot. Lots of younger kids with little riced out civics and accords. I had one guy roll next to me with a SS LS1 camaro revving his engine at me. Meh... No thanks. If you want to avoid that I suggest going for joy rides earlier in the evening.

My girl and I like to go for a drive on Saturday afternoons so that's when you'll be likely to see us around. Or in the evenings on Wednesdays. I like to drive up to the heights and then back over to 24th and down to grand. Nice little drive.

If you want more performance shorties might not be the best choice. I've heard long tubes give better gains. I want to get some kooks for mine next year, and a high flow catted H.

Wish I could afford a blower. Gonna be years before I have the coin for that.
I have read that you can't fit the long tube headers on the convertibles.. Could be wrong but either way, there are some decent equal length shorties out there, and I can bolt them to the stock 2.5" midpipe and change the rest later..

Heh.. I hear you on the coin part.. this was an expensive week for me.. $4k for a new furnace/AC, $25k for a new car, $700 to take a mini-vacation with the family to get the car, $2k for wheels and tires, $700 for gears and CAI/tuner, $250 for installation, $380 for plates, and I still need a new roof and water heater this summer, and I am paying off the wifes car so I can afford my payments on the mustang.. haha.. I had to stop at the gears and CAI/Tuner and let it all catch up so i can see if I have enough left to pay the mortgage.. haha.. I almost ordered the headers and Corsa axelbacks but I restrained myself.. my credit card was smoking in my wallet.. Got a son about to get his license and I agreed to buy half his car too.. what the hell was I thinking??

When I was 16, I had a little mustang II, and I built my first engine for it.. The good old days when I had nothing else to spend money on but my car, and still no money for even that.. Its a lot more fun when you have a little more money to put into your toys. But it can get away from you in a hurry.. heh.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:18 AM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

you can't appreciate a modded car unless you work your *** off for it.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Nice car, enjoy! Wheels look nice. That isn't a rollbar though it is just a decorative lightbar, so don't count on it for any safety/racing function..
Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't planning on rolling it to find out! haha

I was surprised at how sturdy and heavy the thing is.. feels like a big chunk of steel.. heh.. Thats the only downside to not having installed the cosmetic mods myself.. I don't know what they are made of, how much they weigh, etc..
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Where are you getting the gears installed? How much money?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picked up my new toy last weekend!