Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: Grrr Battery bug finally bit me - why no warning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Default UPDATE: Grrr Battery bug finally bit me - why no warning?

I know many have encountered the dead battery issue. My ? is why is there no warning?

Car starts fine (been starting fine..no starting lag or any typical "low battery warnings".
So I start the car (no battery/start lag), drive about a mile, pull over to use the cell
phone. Left the car running (maybe about 3 mins) try to put it into Drive and the button
is locked, so I kill it and try to restart..click click click click. Get a jump, car runs ok
for about 5 mins..then limp mode, warning lights going crazy, tach working off/on, Shaker 500
freaking out. Kill it and try to restart her (dash displays "nice try butt-head - start walking")

Buy a new battery - all is fine again. ? is as mentioned..WHY is there no typical low battery
warnings, and I don't mean lights or gauges. I'm talking about the normal battery drag/lag or
whateveron startup. WHY?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Battery bug finally bit me - why no warning?

a battery can be good one minute and bad the next due to the lead inside, lets say you hit a bump and it loosens a piece inside it falls to the bottom, touches two cells and shorts the battery killing it. its as easy as that.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

The Mustang stock battery has been a problem from the start. Mine lasted 2.5 years and that was a long time compared to others. Be glad you didn't have the active anti-theft system. Even with a jump, you wouldn't be able to drive the car. Welcome to the dead battery club.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
BlackonBlack07
1st Gear Member

Same thing happened to me but they blamed it on the alternator and put a new one of each in for me
Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

My first one lasted 2 months and replaced under warranty. Second lasted a year.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 AM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the D.B. club!! I had about 2800 miles on my 08 when it went out. Tried to keep jumping it till Monday morning, (started on a Friday night) Monday came, would not start. Was going to get it towed to the dealership, but had no time as it was, so forked out my own coin for a new battery. I put my fluke meter on it and it cranked about 11.5vdc on Friday, by Monday it was at 8vdc. It threw me for a loop because I didnt figure the battery would die so early, so I thought it was something else. But you guys informed me there has been problems with the batteries, so I just went with that.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 AM
kinglasher
2nd Gear Member

so what would be the recomended battery for us?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 AM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

I went to Advance Auto and got a battery, the name isnt coming to me.Thebattery was the same size, but bottom of it where it flares out a little to help keep it in the battery tray, was a little different and I had a hard time torqing it down. The locking bolt wasnt lining up with the hole. So if you get an off brand, other than motorcraft, ensure the bottom is similar so it sits in the tray straight and not a slit slant, like mine is.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

that or a die hard gold from sears that is guaranteed for three years
Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Lead-acid batteries chronically fail due to structural collapse without warning. The internal support structures tend to degrade over time with no impact on battery voltage or capacity until it fails catastrophically. Some batteries are constructed better than others. A car that has a tighter suspension MAY be harder on a battery in this respect than a luxury sedan.

If I was experiencing multiple failures of this type, I might consider a marine starting battery. They're constructed withmore robustinternalsupportsincludingsuperior plate design and spacers.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Grrr Battery bug finally bit me - why no warning?