Best CAI WITHOUT tuner - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

Best CAI WITHOUT tuner

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Best CAI WITHOUT tuner

Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Best CAI WITHOUT tuner

BBK makes one that does not need a tune
Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 AM
bg_lee
1st Gear Member

I have the BBK...I like it...I can tell a definate difference...and it looks pretty sharp under the hood...never been in one that had a tune to compare...

I have an 08 GT...I just didn't want to mess with a tuner...my local dealer is kinda a ***** about mods and is always looking for any little loophole to get them out of having to do warranty work...so i just didn't even bother with a tuner...maybe in the future...but for now I think the BBK was definately worth the money
Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I still don't get why we'll spend $25k - $30k for a performance car and then opt for a CAI and NOT to spend the extra $~250 for the tune. The CAI alone is worth about 5 RWHP. CAI & tune combo ~20+ RWHP. Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
dodgers
1st Gear Member

Look at the S&B CAI, this is what I have. Installed it first without a tune, was good. After the tune WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

S&B intake. 50 state legal. It is very good with a tune when you decide to get one.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I think you'd be better off just getting a new tune and no CAI, then just a CAI alone.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

If you install a CAI without a tune, you WILL run lean at full throttle. I have the BBK CAI, and was 20% lean at full throttle. Found this out when I install 3:73 FRPP gears and got the tuner to adjust the speedo. Also my turner created a custom tune, 93 and 87 octane, for my car. That was when he found out about the 20% lean at full throttle. Just FYI.

As for warranty work and having a tune. Just switch your car back to stock before you take it in. Make sure you have your strategy code before you go to the dealer. After you pick up your car, confirm your strategy code did not change, and then reload the tune. I did it in the dealership’s parking lot. Easy took less then 5 minutes.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

I have the Granatelli CAI that does not require a tune. However, if icould do it again i would have gone with out that requires a tune, I heard this is the best way to get HP. So, i will HAVE to get a sct tuner for my Granatelli, or maybe just buy a whole new intake?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:16 AM
SteveB_RET
1st Gear Member

bolivianpimp, Just keep the GMS CAI and buy an Xcal tuner. They work just fine together. I have the GMS CAI and then later decided to have more fun with my Mustang and got a Xcal2 from Brenspeed and it works great with the intake
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
hawkx8
1st Gear Member

Wow you guys dont make this easy. Some say get one with, some say without. I have heard alot about the BBK but the only problem with the BBK and others is they are all pending CARB approval for the 2008 model year.

ALSO, if i install a throttle body spacer will that run TOO lean or affect anything else?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best CAI WITHOUT tuner

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.