Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body shop screw the hell up my car!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Body shop screw the hell up my car!!

Did you ever give the name of the shop? You should warn other potential victims.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buffguy

This shop is located in anaheim CA, A & John Paint & body.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Wow, that is crazy.....
Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Krazyray
1st Gear Member

thats one hell of a horror story
Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 PM
kinglasher
2nd Gear Member

This is scary because we can all bolt on a few parts and make it go vvrrrrooooooommmm but preping and painting is a whole other world.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:10 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Valuable lesson learned here at your cost unfortunately[&o]. Next time get everything in writing and ask to see actual work (as pics can be altered to look better). Talk to others at car shows whose paint you like and find out where they went. Or come to the forum and ask which paint and body shop in CA is best and reasonable. Never take just word of mouth (even if a family friend) as it is a trade and some are good and some are bad and some people dont have a clue what a good paint job should look like[&:].

I think you have a case regardless of the written agreement as the police came out and though they could not do anything did you get a police report stating why they were called out there? If not get one ASAP before paying and taking your car out of the shop. Why? cause if you pay them and dont get a receipt and you go to court they can just deny that they did anything to your car. You need a paper trail for everything these days esp if you want anything to hold up in court.

Sorry about your situation and how much did he charge for the paint? Doe you have a spare set of keys? got there and just get in the car and leave...its in your name and even if the dumbass calls the cops what are they going to say? He did not pay me for doing the crap work to my car? If the painter is not going to play fair why should you? Get your dad involved and have him talk to the guy who is supposed to be a friend? Poor excuse for a friend and with friends like that who needs enemies??????? Just food for thought (even if a little immoral and wrong). J
Old 07-24-2008, 07:44 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

A written contract shouldn't be necessary to prove his work is unacceptable. It'd be one thing if you went to small claims court and he proved he did everything he was supposed to. But if you can compare pictures of how he installed and painted everything to other pictures of how it should properly be installed, it should still show negligence on his part. And if it's obvious that he improperly installed it, as well as damaged your stock bodywork, that should also show he messed it up.

What you should do is just pay him just to get your car out of there. Make sure you get a receipt and take plenty of photographs. And defnitely make it abundantly clear that you are dissatisfied with the results. Let him know you intend to take him to claims court. Then, take the car to a more reputable shop. Get a written statement from them, saying how much of a botched up job the first place did. That way you have a witness and proof from a paint / body expert if you go to small claims court.

Hopefully you'll have the testimony of the second shop, as well as your photographs of the poor job to help you win a case.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 PM
oldschoolera
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buffguy

The Thing is that he won't let me take my car back without having to pay him. We had the local police come, but they couldn't do anything because it wasn't a criminal suit and the issue was that he did the work and I had to pay him.They couldn't force him to give me my car, because he did work on it.

I plan on taking him to small claims court, just to **** him off. Even if I don't even win.

Its hard for me to win because the work done on the car had no written agreement. It was only word of mouth agreement. Reason for this is because my dad knew this guy and he work on my dad's car before so therefore I had trust him to not have anything written down.

Also he had taken off the side skirts that were put on wrong before I could take any pics.

SOB.
The shop can't take your property for failure to pay. He has no legal basis for holding your property. He has to take you to court and sue you for payment of his bill/invoice.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

prepping and painting is not hard at all. It's as easy any thing else it just requires practice.

To put a body molding on backwards and cut trims short. HE IS ON DRUGS

File with the BBB at the least, 2nd go to small claims court make him pay for HE messed up and for what money you already paid him. Nothing else. Just get your money back. Then find a place that is trusted.

Detail everything you do, write everything down. Take pictures. It will help

I hope this helps at all. I would just go get the car done right in the meantime.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

yea keep track of all records of payment and receipts and pics and etc...you shouldnt have to pay him one cent, and in fact if your car is in worse shape that when you gave it to him and somebody else has to fix it, then he actually has to pay them to return it to how it was when you first brought it to him, thats the law so small claims court and you'll win, try that for pissing him off