Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CONVINCE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Burt_Chitter

Default CONVINCE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey to all,

I am looking to buy a newer american muscle car sometime in 09' (I know its a bit off). I have been doing my research and I have narrowed my selection down to the Stang, GTO, or the Charger. I prefer the Mustang over all 3 primarily because of styling, but the down side is that it has the least amount of horsepower of all three. Are the mustangs easily upgradable? How do I get more HP without spending 6 grand on a supercharger. Are the mustangs reliable? Please help me, convince me that the mustang is the best bang for the buck! I know that I won't be getting a brand new mustang, so I am looking at an 07' or even an 08'.

Whats your opinion?

-Thanks everyone
Old 07-24-2008, 01:09 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: CONVINCE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a Challenger...there are too many Mustangs on the road and I want mine to be unique.

Seriously though, I saw a new Challenger on the road last week and I almost crashed my stang - it looked amazing.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Challenger sucks, get a Camaro 2010 before you get that overweight junk.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Hey man i was in the same boat you were in two months ago. I was torn between a GTO and a mustang GT. The upside to the mustang - it was way cheaper and it looks a lot better. There are some many things one can do with this car!!!! However, the GTO has 100 more HP but i didnt like how it looked as much as mustang. I decided to go with the mustang and i have been very happy, but i wonder about those extra 100 hp[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i was in the same boat as you in 2006. i probably would have gotten the GTO but my wife said it was ugly and plain. i'm glad i didn't get it. it's pretty bad that i've shopped for them and driven my friends and i still will every now and then mistaken one for a cavalier if i see it at a certain angle.

i looked briefly at the charger but it's a four-door. if i was going to get a four-door i'd get a pontiac g8 gt, although i know you are looking for used.

yes the mustang is reliable and you can do whatever you want to it. you will not likely find another car with so much aftermarket support. and they are very easy to work on, too.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Well it depends on what kind of $$ you are looking to spend and how much power you are going to need. Would you be satisifed with 350 rwhp or are you going to need 600?

Personally, of all the half-way attainable new sports cars, I would go Challenger SRT8 all the way. Wow, just wow. But, they are like what, $40-45K? *Just saw in the OP you said CHARGER, not Challenger.*

For half of that you could get a Mustang, spend another couple thousand and have a unique, powerful car.

Somewhere in the middle there is the LS2 GTO's, which are very nice in themselves. They are quick, but you'd have to put a bit of money into them because Mustangs with only a couple of mods are going to be knocking on your door all day long.

The Charger SRT8 is awesome, the RT is ok if you want a quick family car.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

IMO, both the old GTO's and the new G8's look very lame. Pontiac is also one of the brands that GM is said to be getting rid of soon.....
Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

whats your price range also ?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

You can get a GT to about 310-320whp with just boltons. Not sure about the Hemi. Being that the GTO has a LS motor, I shouldn't need to tell you the potential of that. A well driven manual LS2 GTO should have no problem hitting low 13's or maybe even high 12's.

Wait till 2010 then consider a Challenger, Camaro, or a Mustang.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

IMHOthe Charger and GTO are both fugly. Add to that the fact that one's aDodge and the other's a Pontiac?

That's all I needed to convince me.

Quick Reply: CONVINCE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!