Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad to worse: Not so great repair experience with local shop.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Default RE: Bad to worse: Not so great repair experience with local shop.

Some ain't right here...

There should have been a work order, signed by you, prior to any work being started.
IMO, you still have some kind of leverage because of that...
You already paid because you don't know better, but you can easily prove that you didn't know the amount of the total bill before hand.

And that guy you think is cool...
He's not your friend, just a smooth talker.

Whatever happens, I hope you'll learn from this, because you can't afford being that naive (no offense).
I have my share of stupid moves, you're not alone lol.
You're the perfect candidate for crooks and bulls#ters, shop like these tarnish the honest guy's business image.

Good luck regardless.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

[ol][*]$95 according to the company that makes them. [*][*][*][*][*]LABOR replace spark plugs: 1 hour @ 85 per hour: $85 (wtf?)[*]Dyno-tune: $500 (the going rate is $350 for a dyno tune.)[*]3000 SCT Tuner: $350" (this is accurate)[/ol]
It looks like they marked you up for 15% on thing you needed to do, after you needed to do 40% more work in dollars than you needed. That's really adding insult to injury, they're already getting lots of money for all of the labor.

Seeing as you never signed a work order, I think you should ask for a 25% discount from the price you were given (versus 15%), if they did something wrong they should try to correct it.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:06 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Now we are talking about this on mustangforums too?
Somebody shoot me.....
Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

Now we are talking about this on mustangforums too?
Somebody shoot me.....

Nobody forced you to read this..... and nobody forced you to reply to it....
Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

Last time I got burned by a vehicle repair shop,
I paid the $1286.54 bill that was quoted at $800
with quarters. 5148 quarters to be exact. Needless
to say, they didnt count them. I made sure I had my
keys and receipt and then I dumped the quartersout
onthe counter and they went everywhere and under
everything close. I told em to 'keep the change' and left.
That made me LOL. Nicely played.

OP, that sucks, but what can you do. Like everyone said it's gonna be hard to dispute anything since you already paid it (especially with your debit card), but I understand your position of not wanting to leave your car there (and x10 since you'd be leaving it there after you went in and blasted them about charging you for stuff you didn't ask for.)

That's rough though. Maybe the shop owner will reason with you and can at least give you somewhat of a refund. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I am not sure of Florida's law but I would imagine that they did work without your permission than you shouldn't have paid for it. Anytime I have ever had anything done with my vehicles we discussed what would happen. If it was to troubleshoot they would call me for what was needed before doing it or I would give them a pre-authorized amount to at least start the work.

Once they found the "problem" they would have to convince me that it's really the problem and explain to me how and why it would be the problem.

If I didn't believe them I would tell them not to do anything and I will take it someplace else.

It's sad cause it sounds like you took it to a performance shop and usually those guys don't stick it to you like some of the smaller shops will do.

I wouldn't call though. I would go in person and talk to the owner. I would request all extra parts at cost, free labor on the extra parts. Anything other than that to me would be an unreasonable request since you do now possess those parts.

If nothing is done, contact the BBB and then also the Attorney Generals office. If you are affiliated with the military in anyway, I would contact your legal office as well as your command and make them aware of the shady practice and they can look to get them black listed.

Good luck and keep us updated on what happens.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Boozshey...... somebody failed to let you know what was going on and assumed you wanted the work done. I would have made them show me the issues that they found and go from there. The nitrous tune thing is throwing me off a little since your car is supercharged, how did this ever happen??
I know there are a couple shops here in SA that pull scams on people. One shop I refuse to go back to after what happened with my 06. The work wasnt completed, didnt know it wasnt completed till I went home and checked. They were showing mesome custom exhaust work on GT500 that was on the lift and I kind of forgot about my car, which was my fault for not ensuring. I call and tell them about it, I bring it back and the help was bitching about people not being happy with what they got blah blah blah. I had my son with me, so I kept it cool but told them "when you pay for something, you expect it to be right, not half ***".
So I know what your saying about the smooth talking that some do.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

OP, Your problem now is you already paid for it. You are out of luck. Your dispute with your Credit/debt card bank will not get your money back. You will lose that too. I work at a bank, and I worked in change back department. Sorry.

Oh yea, +1 on the guy you thought was cool. He screwed you.

Take it as a life lesson and move on.