Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing MGW shifter tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default RE: Installing MGW shifter tomorrow

Ok guys and gals, so sorry for making you all wait. I went to my parents for the weekend and they only have dial up because they live in the country so i didnt bother trying to get on here. The install is done, and went pretty well. Woul have went faster if i would have read the instructions[8D] Anyway, I installed it and went for a 30min drive. Second was a BEEOTCH to find! I'd say i went from 1st to 4th 70% of the timein the first 15min of driving it. Fifth was also required a little bit of work. So i kinda got used to it yesterday evening just from doing a lot of driving with it. Well today i got back under the car and did some adjusting. I tightened it up all the way going clockwise(longest throw) and started playing with it. I ended up leaving it 3 turns from the longest throw so i'd stay its about 25% shorter than stock. It feels much better but is still notchier than i expected. My wife hasnt got to drive it yet and that will be the real test. I hate to say it guys but on a scale of 10 i'd give it an 8, wasnt as impressed as i was expecting, maybe i was just expecting to much afte reading all the hype on it. The hurst shifters must be horrible. I"m sure i'll get used to it more and my opinion will probably change in the next week. I did get some great shots in the country side of PA that i'll be posting in a new thread in a bit. Thanks for the interest!

BTW how many turns did the rest of you set your throw?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:00 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

you really won't regret the MGW...it's great
Old 07-27-2008, 05:55 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Welcome back Nate....

Yeah, lots of folks, myself inclusive, missed second gear the first few shifts. Gotta get used to the centering spring, which naturally pushes the shifter toward the 3rd gear shift gate. Thus, you must keep pressure toward yourself when shifting to second. That's not the case with the stock shifter....

I think I am running at about 6 turns or so, if I remember.

The other thing to try, is pivot the block below the shift boot toward the passenger side a bit. This makes it very natural to pull the shifter toward yourself when shifting into second....

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/DE915B9F91BE44AB9CA5F1FB679031F2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 PM
GOT OATZ
2nd Gear Member

Hi Nate... Welcome back...

I think you're right in that you will get used to it and really change the way you feel about it. So many forum members love it. I have driven stick almost all of my driving life and I personally don't havetrouble drivingthe MGW shifter in Mike's car, however I will say for me it's not what I would consider and easy shifter and I have to really use strength when I drive it. It feels so tight, where as the stock shifter in Bullitt is perfect. So I understand what you're saying and I think if I drove Mike's car daily I would get used to it and probably love it.

Let us know in the coming weeks how you feel about it.

Take care.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:10 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

hmmm...something is not right....with my hurst i have never missed 2nd and put it into 4th and 5th is never an issue either. Might just take time to get used to but most MGW people have always had positive things to say
Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

yah, all i have ever read is positive. my wife just drove it about 30 miles and immediately after pulling out of the driveway, she said, "nope, i dont like this at all" [:@] After about 10miles she was getting a littlem more used to it and like Karen said, i noticed she did have to use a lot of force but she is only 115lb or so. its not coming out so she'll get used to it.

Mike, thats a great idea on moving it towards the pass side. I'm gonna do that tomorrow.