Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about warranty/lemon/buyback title issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about warranty/lemon/buyback title issue

You can look at this 2 ways. If it is still under warranty, the monkey isn't off of Ford's back. They still have to fix it no matter what the history. If you are stuck with it, get it fixed and be persistant. Bug the sheet out of them even if it takes a new computer, engine, whatever. They have to fix it. The Lemon title will mean very little after it has 150,000 miles on it.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThrottleJunkie

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

I do agree with your 10 foot pole scenerio. To try to explain his troubles away with "it's the bad battery thing and it is common with our cars" is just being stupid. Not you but others who have said this. Ford isn't going to do a buy back because of a bad battery.
Exactly. The buyback was because of a weak charging system, not a ****ty battery.

If that is truely the issue, it should have been an easy fix with a new battery, alternator etc. Not a buy back situation in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:54 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EricM

ORIGINAL: ThrottleJunkie

In Ohio, when a car is deemed a lemon and is repaired and resold, it is required to carry a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. He made it sound like it was thrown onto this car to make the customer happy.

Also, not once was the word lemon mentioned. They used the term "factory buyback" which is legit but never said that was car was lemoned. If it were, I would never have bought it. I thought there was a distinct difference between a factory buyback and a lemon.
Just because you thought that doesn't mean they misrepresented the car. Did they give you a piece of paper with this on it:

WARNING: THIS VEHICLE PREVIOUSLY WAS SOLD AS NEW. IT WAS RETURNED TO THE
MANUFACTURER OR ITS AGENT IN EXCHANGE FOR A REPLACEMENT VEHICLE OR REFUND
AS A RESULT OF THE FOLLOWING DEFECT(S) OR CONDITION(S):

If so, they followed the law. Your title should also say something like BUYBACK on it.

Furthermore, the car was listed on cars.com as having 4,3xx miles on it. When I test drove it it had 9,8xx miles.
Regardless of the ad, the mileage was not misrepresented at the time of sale. You saw the miles when you test drove it, and you didn't walk away.

The salesman told me that the owner of the dealer "drove it for a few months to make sure everything worked." I don't think you need 5,000 miles to figure that out. This car was his daily driver for an extended period of time and I don't know how well it was taken care of during that time.
Salesmen are full of crap. But you went ahead and bought the car after hearing this.

I don't think they're taking the car back. But the dead battery issue is very common on these Mustangs. I think the only thing different on yours is that previous owner pushed it and pushed it until the dealer and Ford got sick of him and lemoned the car. If you get a fresh battery (it's probably dead from sitting on the lot and going through multiple drain and recharge cycles) and drive it regularly I doubt you'll have any problems.
+1 ...exactly what I was thinking, too.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

+2

You saw the mileage and even though you realised there was a discrepancy you bought it anyway. You can't go throwing that one around in the dealership after the fact.

Despite itdoes seem weird to have a buy-back for a charging issue,you were aware of the car being a factory buyback. Now whether you prefer to now call it a Lemon is just a matterof symantics. You knew the car was troublesome and that Ford had bought it back and fixed it. End of.

Now, you have the 12k warranty so I don't see the need for panic. Take it back and tell them it's got a battery/charging issue and see where you get .... If you go in there all Hot headed and do the wall-of-death around the sales managers office you'll get nothing but resistence.

Give them a fair chance to address the problem. Traditionally the fix is a new alternator and/or battery.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

+2

You saw the mileage and even though you realised there was a discrepancy you bought it anyway. You can't go throwing that one around in the dealership after the fact.

Despite itdoes seem weird to have a buy-back for a charging issue,you were aware of the car being a factory buyback. Now whether you prefer to now call it a Lemon is just a matterof symantics. You knew the car was troublesome and that Ford had bought it back and fixed it. End of.

Now, you have the 12k warranty so I don't see the need for panic. Take it back and tell them it's got a battery/charging issue and see where you get .... If you go in there all Hot headed and do the wall-of-death around the sales managers office you'll get nothing but resistence.

Give them a fair chance to address the problem. Traditionally the fix is a new alternator and/or battery.
+1
Old 07-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

It sounds like they tried to say it was a buyback because the first owner never drove it?

No, that's not why they do buybacks!
A buyback is offered when they don't know how to fix the car or if it would be cheaper to buy it back and part it out instead of fixing the problem. I had the latter issue with my new 2005 and made them fix it for a cost of well over $10,000 and it has performed great.

Just take the car back until the problems get fixed. There's a reason you got a great deal on the car, just a different one from the one you thought initially.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I'm curious how the OP found the discrepancy about the mileage? CarFax??

I would think CarFax would have the Buyback/Lemon Law thing recorded in which case I would have stayed FAR away from that car...I don't care if the dealership told you it was "fixed"...
Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Furthermore, the car was listed on cars.com as having 4,3xx miles on it. When I test drove it it had 9,8xx miles
Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buster

ummm. I think you are in trouble. You void the warranty if you reflash the computer. YOu say you had a charging system problem and yo reflashed the computer? It sounds to me like you are stuck with the car in the condition its now in.
The tune has nothing to do with the charging system. The dealer can't refuse to fix that under warranty without proving the modification caused the problem.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
ThrottleJunkie

Finally! Some progress.

I called the dealer at 11 am this morning and it took until 3:45 to figure anything out, but I finally spoke with the owner of the dealer.

I told him that I was unsatisfied with the way this has started off and that my job is predicated on my transportation. I drive for 5 or 6 hours per day. I work outside and have to go bid/meet customers/meet workers etc. I told him that I need something reliable.

We agreed that the car would be towed to the closest dealer and they will inspect/look at the car. If they cannot figure out what is wrong with it then the dealer that I purchased it from will take the car back and offer a full refund.

Ford has had a lot of chances to fix this problem and apparently it's still an issue. I'm going to give it one more shot then I deem this car hopeless.

Quick Reply: Question about warranty/lemon/buyback title issue