Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eibach pro kit just arrived.. any tips/help before i start the install? also a couple ?s inside...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:46 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default Eibach pro kit just arrived.. any tips/help before i start the install? also a couple ?s inside...

hey guys..

got the pro kit sittin in the garage..

i wanted to verify somehting.. i was told before that i didnt need a coil/spring compressor for the install.. but in Taco's how to, he used one..

and since im going to be doing this on my own, whats the best way to keep pressure on the shockmount when unbolting from the tower?

and if you guys have any suggestions, thanks in advance!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:50 PM
kaponelb
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Eibach pro kit just arrived.. any tips/help before i start the install? also a couple ?s inside...

your gonna need the compressor i just went to a local shop and the did it for me
Old 07-25-2008, 03:57 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Eibach pro kit just arrived.. any tips/help before i start the install? also a couple ?s inside...

Agreed on renting orborrowing a spring compressor, but I did my own simple as eating pie.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:58 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Eibach pro kit just arrived.. any tips/help before i start the install? also a couple ?s inside.

ok thanks guys..

looks like i will be right back! (off to advance auto parts i go!)
Old 07-25-2008, 04:00 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Eibach pro kit just arrived.. any tips/help before i start the install? also a couple ?s inside.

o yea.. do you guys think it woudl make any difference (other than amount of extra time it will take) to jack it up once side at a time?..

all i have right now is some wimpy *** little jack.. and will probably jsut end up going from the pinch weld at each corner or something.. i dunno yet..
Old 07-25-2008, 04:03 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

You can do it without a spring compressor by using your jack to lower the spring/strut assembly. But I prefer using a spring compressor. The springs will keep their compression when you remove them from the strut tower because the actual mount uses a different nut to stay on and keep the springs compressed. The 4 nuts on the strut tower just keep the strut/spring assembly in place.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:25 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

You can do it without a spring compressor by using your jack to lower the spring/strut assembly. But I prefer using a spring compressor. The springs will keep their compression when you remove them from the strut tower because the actual mount uses a different nut to stay on and keep the springs compressed. The 4 nuts on the strut tower just keep the strut/spring assembly in place.
True, you don't need a compressor. I saw them do it on Horsepower TV when they installed a Roush conversion kit.
They used the jack to lower the spring/strut assembly. Looks pretty easy actually.

1st get the car on jack stands
2ndget the jack under the lower shock mount/control arm whateverand jack it up a little
3rd you take off the top main strut nut (the big one in the middle..21mm I think, no need to touch the other 4)
4th slowly lower the jack and release the tension in the spring.

From what I saw, that's all there was to it.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:35 PM
gandyj
1st Gear Member

I would think that if you don't use a spring compressor you run the risk of losing some of the ball bearingsin the top of the strut mount. I used a compressor when I did mine and I still had some of the bearings fall out when I took the top off the strut mount. At any rate be careful and take your time.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:09 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

k so i just finished the rear... unreal how much different!!.. as soon as i lowered the rear down.. and stood next to the drivers door.. it was like a huge diff on how high to roof was now compared to before.. awesome... wish me luck on the front..

Old 07-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

True, you don't need a compressor. I saw them do it on Horsepower TV when they installed a Roush conversion kit.
They used the jack to lower the spring/strut assembly. Looks pretty easy actually.

1st get the car on jack stands
2nd get the jack under the lower shock mount/control arm whatever and jack it up a little
3rd you take off the top main strut nut (the big one in the middle..21mm I think, no need to touch the other 4)
4th slowly lower the jack and release the tension in the spring.

From what I saw, that's all there was to it.
That's how I did it, worked perfectly.

Quick Reply: Eibach pro kit just arrived.. any tips/help before i start the install? also a couple ?s inside...