Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted headlight covers-any pictures?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 06:01 PM
dusty1
1st Gear Member

Default Tinted headlight covers-any pictures?

Has anyone changed out the clear headlight covers with a tinted one? I'll be ordering a tungsten '06 GT and thought tinted headlight covers would look cool with that color. Any links to sites that sell them would also be appreciated!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:07 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Tinted headlight covers-any pictures?

Why would you want to hide those cool looking headlight assemblies [&:] What does the new tungsten color look like?
Old 05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
bztz4m
2nd Gear Member

Here is mine with covers that snap in since you can only run with these during the day.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11418/AD2AFD19656A40E28056061C3A23DD80.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-09-2005, 06:14 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

It does look nice. But I also like the look of the new assembly. At least you get the best of both worlds with the snap-ons.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:34 PM
tordiway
1st Gear Member

Well, I happen to be fond of this company's covers....

https://mustangforums.com/m_499039/m.../tm.htm#499039

Old 05-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Quite a few pics here:

http://www.pcpcdallas.com/index.asp?...n=Custom&ID=34
Old 05-09-2005, 06:39 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to put an iris type ring on the fog lights, either in black or in sonic blue. Was thinking about making them, but are these available to buy?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Tordiway, are the smoke tint covers legal in Texas? Especially the dark smoke, if they are not removable I could see that being a problem at night. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
tordiway
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

Tordiway, are the smoke tint covers legal in Texas? Especially the dark smoke, if they are not removable I could see that being a problem at night. Thanks for the info!
The Stealth (Dark) Smoke covers will reduce the light quite a bit. Most of the guys we've had order them put them on show cars or toy cars that won't get driven at night. They ARE removable, but only once. Once peeled off they can't be reapplied.

The regular Smoke is another matter - we went through a whole discusion on this topic a week ago in another thread. We even had a Houston cop chime in. We were talking about taillight lenses in particlar that day. The net net was; unless a cop has nothing better to do that day, he's likely not going to pull you over for having Smoked lenses. If he can even tell that they are smoked. On Mustangs, where the OEM taillight lens is so bright cherry red to start with, you can apply Smoke lens covers and end up with a lens that looks dramatically different, yet still be well within the bounds of normalcy. I would assume the same to be true of headlights: Subaru WRX headlight lenses are lightly smoked right from the factory. Other cars are not. All seem to pass inspection. We outfitted the Mustangs on a dealer's lot and to the best of my knowledge he sold them that way. (See thread here: https://mustangforums.com/m_498588/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm).

So, as a general rule, in Texas or anyplace else for that matter, I wouldn't apply the Stealth (Dark) Smoke covers and then head on down to my local state inspection station just to see what happens. I wouldn't drive my car at night outside the city either. It's just a safety issue - you wouldn't blow down the highway at night wearing dark shades would you?

But if you are going with Smoke or HID Blue of GT Yellow you should be cool. Are they legal? Who can say? TDPS code is very fuzzy on this issue - it ends up being up to the local officer or inspection station to decide. I've seen lots of yellow and smoked and blue lenses driving around here in Dallas.

Hope this (lay) opinion helps.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Thanks, appreciate the info! A lot of it seems to be subjective and depends on who you're dealing with. I took my Buell in for inspection and they wouldn't pass it because it had a white taillight lens (has a red LED bulb). I argued with them, but the manager backed them up. I checked the DPS web site and it says NOTHING about white lenses not being allowed. The only criteria is the light has to glow red, and has to be seen from some distance away (I think it was 150'). Rather than fight about it I put the red lens back on, got it inspected and swapped the lens again when I got home. They're happy now Funny that they didn't say a word about the insanely loud exhaust on the thing, animals and small children scamper for cover in all directions

I really like your yellow covers for the driving lights, that's very cool and no legality issues there.