Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500KR hood, could it leak water?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:09 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Default GT500KR hood, could it leak water?

Hey guys i just bought the hood as in the GT500KR all carbon fiber fully functional. I was concerned about water getting into my engine through the heat extractors in the hood or into the intake. Would you think this is a concern?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GT500KR hood, could it leak water?

Which company did you buy it from? I don't know of any true CF KR hoods except the real deal, and Shelby refuses to sell them.

Anyway. I have a Trufiber Venom KR copy, and water does collect in the hood, but it doesn't wet the intake at all. I am going to drill a few holes in it to fix the problem.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:48 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I have one also and besides he water the comes threw the heat extractors which does not fall on anything electrical its not a problem at all.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I dont have any problems. Where did you get it from?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

So, is the intake the only part i should be worried about getting wet? Im scared when driving through rain, it might come in through the two front slits in the hood. I forgot the information about where i got it from( Its at home), but the hood is all carbon fiber and it ROCKS. I wonder if hood pins might crack it?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 PM
infinityonhigh
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

Which company did you buy it from? I don't know of any true CF KR hoods except the real deal, and Shelby refuses to sell them.
Shelby is selling the hood now along with other pieces from the KR kit. Take a look at page 23 in the new Shelby catalog http://scottdrake.net/SPPCatalog2008LO-RES.pdf . The heat extractors and air inlets have ducts underneath them that not only flow air to a specific area, but also channel water away from the engine bay (hence the two square holes and smaller holes around the perimeter of the hood). Besides, I doubt you have anything to worry about. I really don't think they built the hood thinking that it will never see rain. Here is a picture I found of the underside.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:38 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Yea my hood looks nothing like that in the interior. Where the holes come in, there is nothing else protecting it from the engine. I mean there are the holes, and they go straight into the engine. I will try and take pictures tonight and post.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM
eric6913
2nd Gear Member

i dont see any CF rocker panels! those complete the look IMO
Old 07-30-2008, 03:02 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: infinityonhigh

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

Shelby is selling the hood now along with other pieces from the KR kit. Take a look at page 23 in the new Shelby catalog http://scottdrake.net/SPPCatalog2008LO-RES.pdf . The heat extractors and air inlets have ducts underneath them that not only flow air to a specific area, but also channel water away from the engine bay (hence the two square holes and smaller holes around the perimeter of the hood). Besides, I doubt you have anything to worry about. I really don't think they built the hood thinking that it will never see rain. Here is a picture I found of the underside.
While the picture above is indeed from a KR, the hood available to the public through that catalog is the Super Snake hood......similar, but not the same thing.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
WillsgotaGT

will the KR hood fit a 07 GT???

Quick Reply: GT500KR hood, could it leak water?