Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a Saleen & a 08 GT....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Default RE: Test drove a Saleen & a 08 GT....

you actually have more torque than any stock GT has dynoed.. they usually dyno at 265rwhp/280rwtq.. so no.. you shouldn't be wowed.. intake+tune will only take you up to slightly more power than where you are now on yours.. but mostly more HP.. and only a few(if that) torque..

Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

You're talking to the OP right?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrRogers

ORIGINAL: ripped camel

The 08 Gt was a 5spd, and was gray less than 50 miles on the odometer. I expected from how people constantly say they are so much faster than a new edge, for it to impress me in stock form. It didn't impress me at all, and quite frankly I felt like it was extremely slow for what it was. It felt like it had no torque at all! I don't get what all the excitement is about the S197's?

So after being disappointed about the GT, I tried the Saleen which was the lower supercharged version (425lbs/tq, 465bhp) and it was a little better. I was expecting to be wowed by it though, and again I wasn't. Sure it was faster than my car, but again it felt......different. I don't know how to explain it because although it is quicker, at some points it felt like it lacked a lot of torque. Maybe that's something to do with the supercharger? All I know is the C6 vette (coupe & ragtop) and the LS2 GTO (that had a full SLP dealer installed exhaust) that I test drove were MUCH faster!

I guess I'm surprised at the outcome of today's festivities. I was out contemplating upgrading to a newer stang, and quickly realised the grass is not greener on the other side.

When I first drove my C6 Z06, I thought was a bit slower than my C5 Z06. But then I started looking at the speedometer. I was doings speed that I would never thought of. The SOTP thing is very deceptive. Most high powercars have smooth and constant power delivery.. That Saleen is faster than you think it is.
+1

And the lower powered Saleen (factory) SC is 425bhp, not 465bhp. My 485bhp (Brenspeed Stage 2)Saleen SC has plenty of torque.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:29 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I thought the same thing with my first 06GT.....until I looked at the speedo.....and until I did a 5k clutch dump When I put the Steeda CAI and SCT tune on I really noticed a big seat of the pants difference. The new Stangs will surprise you with their smoothness. OP you have been around here for quite a while......don't the kill stories and time slips somewhat contradict your post?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Running for popcorn...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yeah baddog.. even though it says replied to baddog i just use the fast reply box all the time so it shows im replying to the last person's message since i last refreshed.. someone had snuck in between my reading and posting. my post was meant for the OP..

nobody would try to convince someone with a 93' notch to buy an s197... obviously looks mean nothing to you so you might as well keep the lighter body to work with.. [8D]
Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

OK.....so that I don't appear to be an "S197 nutswinger".......cars with over 100 ponies more darn well should feel faster [8D] The statement that surprised me was about the Saleen, but, I haven't driven one.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mishri

yeah baddog.. even though it says replied to baddog i just use the fast reply box all the time so it shows im replying to the last person's message since i last refreshed.. someone had snuck in between my reading and posting. my post was meant for the OP..

nobody would try to convince someone with a 93' notch to buy an s197... obviously looks mean nothing to you so you might as well keep the lighter body to work with.. [8D]
Spoken like a true gentlemen (see *****[8D]). I know the S197's are nice but they're too refined for me I guess. Where's the rawness? I like how my G/F reaches for the "Holy ****" handles when I put the spurs to my car. The S197 GT's I had didn't illicit that response. Just wait until the AFR165's and cam/intake are on there, I'll have to install the passenger toilet for her[8D]...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:58 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Hm...I think for an S197 GT to feel fast, it would need some gears.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

ORIGINAL: Baddog

ORIGINAL: Mishri

Spoken like a true gentlemen (see *****[8D]). I know the S197's are nice but they're too refined for me I guess. Where's the rawness? I like how my G/F reaches for the "Holy ****" handles when I put the spurs to my car. The S197 GT's I had didn't illicit that response. Just wait until the AFR165's and cam/intake are on there, I'll have to install the passenger toilet for her[8D]...
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: Test drove a Saleen & a 08 GT....