Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carwash vs hand-washing

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 12:48 PM
dacop
1st Gear Member

Default RE: carwash vs hand-washing

The only time I use a car wash is when it is just too cold to hand wash.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Blue07GT
2nd Gear Member

I use those do-it-yourself car washes all the time. If i NEED to use an automatic car wash last minute, i'll only use the touch-less.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:44 PM
kinglasher
2nd Gear Member

I used to think the thw whole carwash thing was a myth. All my other cars were mostly washed at the car wash because i had nowhere to wash it myself.

The truth i came to find out is that it will cause lots of wear on your paint. I started getting scratches on my roof and swirl marks. One day i got a pretty good clue why this happens. I was in line to get a wash and in front of me was an SUV so dirty it looked like it went to hell and back. Maybe some of that stuff is still retained on the brushes and makes them a little rough on the next cars.

Thankfully i moved and have a driveway so my car hasent seen a carwash since.

Personaly i like washing my car and most times ppl walkin by will stop to talk about it and complement on it ( actually went out with a girl that did that ). Mybe in the winter it dosent get washed as often as i'd like because of the cold but better riding around witha little dust on it then getting paint dmg.

But in the end, to each their own.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:47 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

yeah I used a touchless once , one side looked great , the passenger side and bumper still had dirt on it , so I'm going to start using a $7.99 hand wash up the street
Old 08-03-2008, 01:53 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I would never use a gas station car wash or anything like that but yeah a touchless or do it yourself type wash is always fine. Its hard to get lots of dirt and bugs off by hand.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:07 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I would never use a gas station car wash or anything like that but yeah a touchless or do it yourself type wash is always fine. Its hard to get lots of dirt and bugs off by hand.
yea thats true, i break sweats sometimes scrubbing so hard to get some bugs off...but i learned that as long as its waxed good and i detail spray it every now and then, even my windshield, they come off a lot easier...also i think nowadays if anybody at all goes to a nontouchfree car wash they prob should get a bunch of scratches on their car for being so stupid lol, too many touch free not to use them...you cant put a price on a glossy finish going down the road
Old 08-03-2008, 02:07 PM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

I use to work ata carwash. Some of them are okay, but the one I worked at was terrible. The dryer was one that actually touched the car as it came out of the wash, and it would put marks on the car from the plastic rollers. Also, since I've been "behind the scenes" at a carwash, most people wouldn't believe some of the things that go on there if I told them. That being said, I will NEVER take my car to a carwash. I can see, however, that a touchless wash would be okay, but those just aren't going to clean the car as good as a car wash that actually touches the car. The do-it-yourself washes are always a good option. Just thought I'd share my experiences. NOTHING beats a good hand wash, but like others have said, it is a little difficult finding the time when you work 60+ hour weeks like myselfand then have to spend some family time in there too...
Old 08-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I went to a touchless once.. it was expensive.. like $15 and it didn't even work right.. had to go through 2x. I was using the hand wash place but I noticed the brush left behind swirl marks and got a couple of scratches on the roof, the hose that hangs down hit the roof when I brought the brush/sprayer around.. so now I always hand wash.. it probably takes about the same amount of time as driving it over somewhere and washing it then then driving it back.. takes me about 20 minutes.. 20 minutes once every week or 2 isn't bad.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

yea, there is also a place right down the road from me that details cars pretty good for only $35...and they take good care of your cars too...but why pay $35 for something i can do myself and take pride in? lol
Old 08-03-2008, 03:12 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tn_gt

yea, there is also a place right down the road from me that details cars pretty good for only $35...and they take good care of your cars too...but why pay $35 for something i can do myself and take pride in? lol
+1

Quick Reply: carwash vs hand-washing