Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are 410's too much for an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Are 410s too much for an auto?

Depends on what your plan is. If it's fuel economy, then no. If you race, then maybe. If you want to be in 3rd gear 150 feet from the stop light, then yes.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
GTJUNKIE
2nd Gear Member

I put 4:10's in last year and have completelyenjoyed them.I run 18X9.5 shelby rims with 285's in the back and can blow the tires off at will. Saleen 485 kit goes in next week with some suspention tweeking. Lookout street.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Depends on what your plan is. If it's fuel economy, then no. If you race, then maybe. If you want to be in 3rd gear 150 feet from the stop light, then yes.

That is completely false.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Haze28

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

That is completely false.
What is? You will get lower MPG with higher gears...why? Your RPM's will be higher. Try running your car with O/D OFF (light on dash is on) you will get lower mileage than if you run with it ON. (Light on dash off) Same with gears, you end up running at a higher RPM at highway speeds so MPG WILL suffer. How much, all depends on driving habits.

2nd item...150 is pretty far and since you will be accelerating faster, and yoru RPM's will be higher for equal speeds then I fail to see how the 150 ft and 3rd gear comment is false. You figure an auto shifts (AUTOmatically) so it will move through the gears faster...unless you go into slapshift mode where you push it through the gears.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I love my 4.10 gears so far. If you're driving highway miles a lot (60mph-75mph), you'll probably lose about 3mpg. If you're like me and drive mostly on city and country roads (45mph-55mph), you'll probably gain 3mph....if you're not shifting late and downshifting and accelerating a lot....hard to not do those fun things!
Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

I love my 4.10's sure the gas mileage kinda sucks, but the gear ratio is awsome ..pulls like a bull!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Nighthawk2008
1st Gear Member

I had 4.10's installed in my auto and at first I was disappointed.There was no awsome seat of the pants feeling after install. Then again I was taking it VERY easy for the first two heat cycles and keeping it under 65 mph with no hard launches for 500 miles. Honestly I was probably taking it too easy because of all the gear problems I've heard about when people would drive them too hard before breaking them in.

After the 500 mile break in I drove like I always did and noticed I would pull out on the road from a stop sign and bark the tires without trying. Launching hard from a stop would squall the tires and bark them from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and even 3rd to 4th acouple times.

Everyone always compares the auto to a manual when getting gears and says you should go with 3.73. I never understood why it matters. I think I would have been disappointed with 3.73 gears in my auto. I would deffinately recommend 4.10 in an auto. You can see my mods in my sig and I'm getting 23 MPG and thats with alot of hwy driving at 75 mph.

Also when I'm driving at 60 mph and I wanna pass someone I step on the gas, the passing gear kicks in and it still pushes you back in your seat. Don't fear the gear, go with 4.10's.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:52 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Don't mean to pir8 the thread here but, how did everyone here install their gears ? themselves or have a shop do them ?

i have my FRPP 4.10 gears sitting in a box right here (mines for a manual, not automatic though), and after all the info i've searched for install, i get conflicting information. one person says you need the special Ford 8.8 tools, another doesn't.. anyone put them in without the tools ? and any advice ?

Old 08-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Nighthawk2008
1st Gear Member

Sorry I can't help ya MeanStang08, I had a ford dealer install mine. But I wanted to tell ya thats a slick car ya got. I almost went the same route with mine as far as painting the scoop and spoiler black before I decided on the stripes. What kinda spoiler is that on your car? I like it.

Another thing about going with lower gears, you need to be careful when driving. Today I was coming home from work and I was going up a via duct when I decided to pass the car infront of me. I was going about 30 mph when I gunned it to get into the other lane and the car spun the tires and went sideways a little. They really do make a difference.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:57 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MeanStang08

Don't mean to pir8 the thread here but, how did everyone here install their gears ? themselves or have a shop do them ?

i have my FRPP 4.10 gears sitting in a box right here (mines for a manual, not automatic though), and after all the info i've searched for install, i get conflicting information. one person says you need the special Ford 8.8 tools, another doesn't.. anyone put them in without the tools ? and any advice ?

Don't know what you mean by "mines for a manual, not automatic". They use the same gears. If you're talking about the letter at the end of the part number, I hate to inform you, but the M means its foreign made and not as good. The A gear is what everybody wants. It's made in America and has far fewer reports of problems than the M gears.

I had Fastlane Motorsports in Benson, NC install mine. That price includes everything.

Quick Reply: Are 410's too much for an auto?