Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a gear whinedo I need to go back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Got a gear whinedo I need to go back to stock?

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

What kind of grinding noise??? Doesn't sound like gear whine to me.

x2!

Gear whine isn't a grinding sound...something else is going on.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Might be the clutch packs! does it grind when going slow and/or taking turns?

A gear whine is different from gear grind!!!! I know this bc I had a grind... and I have gear whine! lol
Old 08-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: GT/SRT

x2!

Please excuse my choice of terminology. Whine, grind, hum, vrrrr, grrrr, whateverrrrr. Either way it's impossible to describe a sound in words in an email. If you heard it, you would know. I just can't perfectly describe the sound.

I myself wondered and doubted that the sound is a drive shaft or gear issue because it just "appeared", so I got to thinking "shoot for simple causes first". First thing I thought of was maybe the sound is tire related. I've never had the front end realigned since changing from stock wheels to my KDW tires and deep dish wheels, so I wondered if maybe the tires aren't wearing properly and the "whine" could be related to that. I felt around the surface of my front tires and, sure enough, one of them seems to be wearing a little oddly on the inside. Hmmm...maybe that's it?? I took it to a tire shop to have them look at it, took a tech for a slow drive so he could hear what I was hearing, and he said it doesn't sound like a gear thing and could instead be caused by "cupping" of the tire...especially at slower speeds which is when I hear it (around 18 mph or so). He got out and felt around the tires and, yes indeed, he said it does appear to be cupping and recommended I have the car realigned. The car doesn't pull at all, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's aligned properly either. Guess I'll try an alignment, rotate the tires from front to back and then see if that eliminates the sound. The last thing I want is Ford poking around my undercarriage trying to "find" something that isn't there, so hopefully the simple cause is the simplest solution too.

Thanks to all for your input. It's always good to get different perspectives before jumping into things, simple or complicated.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:18 PM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silencer06

ORIGINAL: GT/SRT

x2!

Please excuse my choice of terminology. Whine, grind, hum, vrrrr, grrrr, whateverrrrr. Either way it's impossible to describe a sound in words in an email. If you heard it, you would know. I just can't perfectly describe the sound.

I myself wondered and doubted that the sound is a drive shaft or gear issue because it just "appeared", so I got to thinking "shoot for simple causes first". First thing I thought of was maybe the sound is tire related. I've never had the front end realigned since changing from stock wheels to my KDW tires and deep dish wheels, so I wondered if maybe the tires aren't wearing properly and the "whine" could be related to that. I felt around the surface of my front tires and, sure enough, one of them seems to be wearing a little oddly on the inside. Hmmm...maybe that's it?? I took it to a tire shop to have them look at it, took a tech for a slow drive so he could hear what I was hearing, and he said it doesn't sound like a gear thing and could instead be caused by "cupping" of the tire...especially at slower speeds which is when I hear it (around 18 mph or so). He got out and felt around the tires and, yes indeed, he said it does appear to be cupping and recommended I have the car realigned. The car doesn't pull at all, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's aligned properly either. Guess I'll try an alignment, rotate the tires from front to back and then see if that eliminates the sound. The last thing I want is Ford poking around my undercarriage trying to "find" something that isn't there, so hopefully the simple cause is the simplest solution too.

Thanks to all for your input. It's always good to get different perspectives before jumping into things, simple or complicated.
Well, I understand using ceratian words...but to know what's going on we need some help. A grind is a lower, metal on metal sound.

Gear whine [at least mine] was best described as a higher pitched road noise sound from your tires. It sounds kinda like road noise, but it comes from behind you and hums.

Hope you get it figured out...an unknown sound going on with the car is ANNOYING!!![8D]