Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 speed = out of date?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 5 speed = out of date?

ORIGINAL: Derf00

You could start saying well I have a 5-A or 5-M ..A for auto and M formanual for the slow people
lol that doesnt scream bmw
Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i just say i have a stick, usually people think im talking about my transmission.....but am I?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

i just say i have a stick, usually people think im talking about my transmission.....but am I?

+1
Old 08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

HA. An excellent reason to not use the term "5-speed" then.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
boomer123
3rd Gear Member

hahaha, whatevs dude, its not really a big deal. Stick, 5 speed, manual, im pretty sure people get the idea and know what your talking about. **** i bet a lot of people dont even know how many gears they even have in their auto trannys to be honest. Never heard anyone call an auto a 5 speed in my life
Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i disagree that until recently all manuals were 5-speeds.

my brother had a bare bones model 4-speed firebird. and later had a fiero 4-speed. would that have confused you as to whether it was a manual or auto?

it would not me. it doesn't matter the number of speeds that a manual has, it's the fact that you are calling it a "#-speed" that indicates it is a manual.

if i had a 2005 got with a 6-speed, would that confuse you?

i don't think we are at a point where "5-speed" is an anachronism, i DO think the point in time where a "manual" is an anachronism is quickly approaching...

cause of all you slushbox pansies! j/k...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

I never said it "confused" me when people say their car is a "5 speed" or "6 speed" etc etc. I just said it doesn't mean anything if both the manual and automatic in that particular model have the same number of speeds.

I also never said that it was only recently that manuals were 5 speeds - which is clearly not true, manuals have ALWAYS had more speeds than an automatic, which is where the term "#-speed" originates from.

IF 2005 GT's came with a 6-speed standard, then it would still be relevant for you to refer to it as a "6-speed" since the automatic is only 5 speeds.

Lastly, what model year did the Firebird ever have a manual and automatic with the same number of gears? I don't think that has ever happened in the car's history, as the manual transmission versions have always had at LEAST one more gear than the automatic versions. (Correct me if I'm wrong here.) Which is why attaching a "# speed" moniker when referring to a Firebird is relevant as the number of speeds distinguish between manual and automatic... which in recent times, is no longer true for many cars.

And again, I never said it was a big deal. I doubt anyone really cares about what people call manual transmissions, I'm just saying the term "# speeds" seems outdated in regards to many newer cars.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Phya
1st Gear Member

Lol, it's not an anachronism. It's just a common, but irrelevant way to refer to the type of transmission you have in your car. Do you know when 5-speed *will* become an anachronism? When CVTs are standard in Kias sold to Latin America.

BTW, I *never* expected to see that word on any car forum. But...maybe pigs can fly.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Qusus

Does anyone else notice that when people on this forum refer to their manual-tranny Mustangs they frequently call it the "5-speed." But if you think about it this doesn't make any sense because all both the auotmatic and manual versions come with a 5 speed transmission. Even though every knows what a person means when they refer to their car as having a "5-speed," the actual term doesn't tell you anything about the car. Saying: I have an 08 GT Premium package 5 - speed is kinda like saying I have an 08 GT Premium Package, with 4 wheels. I mean... of course you do!

If you own other cars this also occurs on other forums as well. (For example, people with BMW 335i's refer to their manuals as "6-speeds" despite the fact that the automatic is also a 6 speed.) This term obviously originated from the fact that until VERY VERY recently, manual tranmissions ALWAYS had more speeds than their automatic counterparts in cars. So saying that you had the "5-speed or 6-speed" implied that you had a manual because the automatics were only 3 or 4 speeds. But now automatic tranmission technology is getting better and better, this will become much more rare.

Anyways, I don't really care but it did mildly bother me because it's such an anachronism and we just haven't adapted our language to the new tech. Thanks for reading what turned out to be a pretty long rant.

Think about it though.

Been questioning that term since day one on here, as a matter of fact, you probably saw my reference to that earlier today.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Honestly did not see that you referenced that earlier today and I didn't know that you questioned the term since day 1 as I'm a relatively newer member here since I got my Mustang about half a year ago. Wierd coincindence that we got on this in the same day.

Also, never thought I'd USE the word "anachronism" on a car forum. Don't know about the CVT thing though, at least I hope they don't catch on like that. Just can't get used to not feeling the shifts...

Quick Reply: 5 speed = out of date?