Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much are they worth?

Old 05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How much are they worth?

ORIGINAL: bigmustangfan

I totally agree 05Vert. I can stomach MSRP, I mean at least somewhere, someone put that value on the car. But I wouldn't pay one dime over and I would never do business with a dealer that asked it. It is a free market economy so they should be allowed to charge what they want but, to me, it is a much greater indication of their true focus. I like to form a relationship with a dealer and send friends and family. That requires a lot of trust in knowing that they are going to treat people right. Othewise, they can make you look like a fool. Any dealer that is going to blatently and opening sell a Mustang GT for 40k is going to have no problem sticking it to Grandma on the Crown Vic.
The dealer I am going through does not add any "availability fees" to the Mustangs they have been selling. They sell them for MSRP, and are laughing at the other dealers around here who have close to 40 V6s on their lots. I have sent friends and family to this dealer in the past, and they have all thanked me. Now all I need is my car to get here ( in about 3 weeks).
Old 05-12-2005, 11:53 AM
cgilbert

I don't know, I guess I disagree on both counts. I could put an order in for an '05, but was told that most likely I would get an '06. I'm also not sure that most people who are buying the GT Premium convertible would be considered daily drivers either. Sure, I want to drive it and enjoy it, but it will be a fair weather car.

IMHO

ORIGINAL: Lawman165

The problem with paying over MSRP for a car like the Mustang is the fact that eventually supply will catch up with demand and people will be paying under sticker within a couple of years. The 2005 will never be worth the extra thousands people are paying for them (atleast not in our lifetimes). Especially a daily driver which i assume most of the cars that we talk about here will be.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 PM
bigmustangfan

ORIGINAL: biged3

ORIGINAL: bigmustangfan

I totally agree 05Vert. I can stomach MSRP, I mean at least somewhere, someone put that value on the car. But I wouldn't pay one dime over and I would never do business with a dealer that asked it. It is a free market economy so they should be allowed to charge what they want but, to me, it is a much greater indication of their true focus. I like to form a relationship with a dealer and send friends and family. That requires a lot of trust in knowing that they are going to treat people right. Othewise, they can make you look like a fool. Any dealer that is going to blatently and opening sell a Mustang GT for 40k is going to have no problem sticking it to Grandma on the Crown Vic.
The dealer I am going through does not add any "availability fees" to the Mustangs they have been selling. They sell them for MSRP, and are laughing at the other dealers around here who have close to 40 V6s on their lots. I have sent friends and family to this dealer in the past, and they have all thanked me. Now all I need is my car to get here ( in about 3 weeks).
Exactly, that is the way to run a successful dealership over the long term.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
bigmustangfan

ORIGINAL: Lawman165

The problem with paying over MSRP for a car like the Mustang is the fact that eventually supply will catch up with demand and people will be paying under sticker within a couple of years. The 2005 will never be worth the extra thousands people are paying for them (atleast not in our lifetimes). Especially a daily driver which i assume most of the cars that we talk about here will be.
True, but really though it is all value for money. Here in the UK people pay 10K US dollars for personalized tags, it is insane. No car, or extremely few, are apprecaiting investments so really it is a matter of the value someone places in the purchase. If someone wants to spend a little more and have it now then, in the big picture, it isn't really much of an issue fiscally. We are all going to lose money on these cars. It is really more a matter of the joy/value we gain compaired to the delta of purchase price and sale price + maintainance costs. If that grand total is an acceptable figure to that person then it is by any measure a fair deal. In my opinion anyway.

It still doesn't let the dealer off the hook. They are supposed to be our link to the manufactor and should help look after our interests as an advocate, albeit in a way that is of course profitable to them . I really wish Ford would frawn upon those that jack up the price. It is tantamount to gas gouging during a hurricane in my book.

Cheers....
Old 05-12-2005, 01:00 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I agree with much of the above posts. How can we put a dollar-value on the "smiles-per-mile" factor? Sometimes that is priceless.

I paid MSRP for mine, but frankly, I have been wanting -- no, needing -- this car ever since I first saw the prototype way back when, so I probably would have paid more if I had too. It wasn't just a Mustang to me... it was a reincarnation of the great styling and performance of the late-60s. I haven't wanted a car this much since I was 16 looking for my first car.

I have no intentions of getting rid of this car when it's duty as my daily driver is done, so re-sale value is irrelevent to me. I plan on converting it to a track only car at that point, and really pushing the envelope of performance and good looks.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Thank God for Canadian consumer protection laws, they can't pull any of that crap here, whatever Ford Canada says is the msrp, is the highest they can sell for, then you just talk them down from there. (of course they do try to nail you with "fees" but those are easily talked out of too.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Tehrab
1st Gear Member

With as much information as we have available on the web, there is absolutely no excuse for getting ripped off at a dealer, none.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

When I was picking up my vert I talked to the saleslady about the shortage of GTs and she mentioned they didn't have any. I had noticed there were 2 (vert and coupe) sitting next to the dealer and she said they had been sold to a guy in New Zealand and they were waiting for the transport to pick them up. She said he paid 6k over sticker!!! She said he converts them to right-hand drive and then sells them for 95k over there. Not sure that I believe that, but the finance person also mentioned that the cars were going to NZ and that they were sold 6k over sticker, so at least that much appears to be true.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:56 PM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

I turned down a torch red GT vert a month ago and it was going for 33K. I didn't like the color and I didn't want a vert.

Steve
Old 05-12-2005, 07:40 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok

Thank God for Canadian consumer protection laws, they can't pull any of that crap here, whatever Ford Canada says is the msrp, is the highest they can sell for, then you just talk them down from there. (of course they do try to nail you with "fees" but those are easily talked out of too.
IF you only new how the free market works you would not make a statement like that to much goverment is bad.That is what keeps our economy going if you do not like the price you do not buy the item.GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much are they worth?