Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with the Insurance check???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:48 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What to do with $700

Your kidding right? excepting insurance money for repairing damage to your car and just pocket the money or spend it on something else? what is the world coming to Go Obama lol. Now spending it on a gt500 bumper would be ok. but thats not $700 of damage either.

ORIGINAL: HoorayBeer

how is pocketing the money fraud?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:54 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

Well since pocketing the money is "insurance fraud". the option you have is get it fixed.
Im amazed at how many people try and commit fraud these days.

Arent you a Lawyer????
LYING to obtain insurance money is fraud. I've been 100% honest the entire way through. The insurance company pays me for the Negligent damage done to my property. I can use the money to buy canned tuna if I want. Why? Because my car has decreased $739 in value, because per the estimate, that is what it will cost to be fixed.

I'm taking the hit because my car is not worth as much. Oh and yes, I'm an attorney and here's what the legal definition of fraud is:

"Knowingly misrepresenting a material fact with the intent to deceive and the other party having justifiably relied upon such misrepresentation, and experienced pecuniary loss."

I'm not misrepresenting anything to the Insurance company. I told them the facts, just as she (the driver) told the officer the facts. I was parked, she hit me. Now it requires $739 to fix it.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Stndbck
3rd Gear Member

wow if that i $700 I wonder what my estimate is gonna be!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

im gonna agree with myself and say its not fraud.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

lol...but how can it be fraud??? If I were to try and sell my car today, its worth less than a GT without scratches on it. Using the money from the insurance company to get it back to the value it was at before the accident is up to me.

@ Schapman...why is it ok to buy a GT500 fascia with that money and not buy an aluminum DS? Either way, I'm not using it to restore the car to the condition before the accident.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:31 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

Well since pocketing the money is "insurance fraud". the option you have is get it fixed.

Arent you a Lawyer????
LYING to obtain insurance money is fraud. I've been 100% honest the entire way through. The insurance company pays me for the Negligent damage done to my property. I can use the money to buy canned tuna if I want. Why? Because my car has decreased $739 in value, because per the estimate, that is what it will cost to be fixed.

I'm taking the hit because my car is not worth as much. Oh and yes, I'm an attorney and here's what the legal definition of fraud is:

"Knowingly misrepresenting a material fact with the intent to deceive and the other party having justifiably relied upon such misrepresentation, and experienced pecuniary loss."

I'm not misrepresenting anything to the Insurance company. I told them the facts, just as she (the driver) told the officer the facts. I was parked, she hit me. Now it requires $739 to fix it.

I work in the insurance industry and see this all the time. The insurance adjuster should have made the check out to you and include the name of a body shop of your choice on the check that usually puts and end to this type of stuff. It may not be fraud, but it is dishonest...you are accepting money to fix your damages not line your wallet. Besides that tell your lien holder that they now have a lien on a damaged car and it won't be fixed and see what they say about it. I get this all the time people ask me to sign off on a check they received or want me to write their deductible in my estimate.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

What? Your front fascia was damaged and the insurance is giving you money to repair the damage.
Isnt purchasing the GT500 fascia repairing the damage? you will have to add personal money since it going to cost more though.

Ok...if what you suggest isnt fraud. Then if the estimate is $700 to repair the damage and you get it fixed at a different shop that charges you $350. Its Ok to keep the money? NO, the insurance company is only responsible for the cost of the repair not the estimate.

lol...but how can it be fraud??? If I were to try and sell my car today, its worth less than a GT without scratches on it. Using the money from the insurance company to get it back to the value it was at before the accident is up to me.

@ Schapman...why is it ok to buy a GT500 fascia with that money and not buy an aluminum DS? Either way, I'm not using it to restore the car to the condition before the accident.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Ah.......a GT500 front end conversion is not cheep by any means and you have to replace your "entire" front end. The "only" thing you get to reuse from your GT front end is some bolts and your turn signals and the brackit that is used to mount the turn signals.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
boomer123
3rd Gear Member

Arent you a Lawyer????

LOL i garrentee you would win in court with the statement above. He is not frauding anyone, you could even state you were holding the money to fix it later as he needs the car at this paticular point in time etc. Considering he is the lawyer id go with him on this one. I plan on being a lawyer too... but seriouly whats up with all you goody two shoes people, if you were in the same situation, of course you would upgrade somthing or replace the damaged equipment with an aftermarket part that is better just like EVERYONE else on these forums does. I read it constantly over and over again in posts. haha
Old 08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

shoot if I had a 1000 dollar estimate I know I would place the nice green bills in my pocket... smart people become rich... goodie too shoes get their *** kicked all their life...

Quick Reply: What to do with the Insurance check???