Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of the new 20" Chrome Killers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pics of the new 20" Chrome Killers

Honestly don't know about the scoop, the previous owner did the work.. It is funny because I was going to buy a base mineral gray GT vert and do all this to it, then I found one that was already done, and done pretty well. What are the odds of finding the car you have in your head at the exact time you are starting to shop? Everything that was on this was exactly what I wanted..except the wheels, which is now corrected The previous owner had not touched the drivetrain, so I get a clean canvas to start with there.

degeze: The ride so far is much nicer, just because the tires are not grabbing the ruts in the road as bad as the KDWS's were. I imagine once the tires are broken in a little they will start to grab the ruts again and the ride will be about the same. Coming out of the tire shop I nailed it and lit them up for all of first gear.. It kind of startled me since the KDWS's would have grabbed after about 3 feet.. I already feel these tires starting to soften up and grab the road more.. the first couple turns were like gliding on ice. I did not notice any difference in the shock absorption, its about the same so far.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:04 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

That's good to know.
I was considering 20s but I went with 18s because of the spring drop I have. I did not want thecars ride quality to suffer to much, so I figured with 18s I would have more room for cushion with a tallertire.
Are your stripes black or blue?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

with perfect respect to the name of the wheels, those things are killer
Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Not my style to go that big but they do look good. Just one question, why only go w/ 8.5, is that all they make the 20" in?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:03 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

one thing i would have done is go with a 255/40/20 tire, would look a LOT better with that much more meat on the tires
Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

The stripes are black, the cameraphone does not do a good job on the colors.. I need to remember to take some pics with my regular camera.

I could have gone with 20x10 in the rear and then gotten a 275/35R20 tire but there were a few things holding me back. Since I could not physically see the wheel though I was worried that the rear would stick out further than the front. They were not sure at the tire shop if the offset on this wheel would be right for the wider rear. The 275/30 would have too small a sidewall and the 275/35 is slightly bigger, and I didnt want a staggered "mag wheel" look, only wanted the wider rear with the same profile. Also, you cant rotate tires if they are different front to back, which isnt really that big of deal for me since I won't be putting too many miles on. Cost was a small factor, but not much of one.. This just kept things easier I guess.. I actually bought the wheels and tires before I had even seen the car in person. The car was in Utah, I am in Montana, so I bought it based on pics. The wheels came in from Maine and are normally custom made to order by American Racing (in this offset) but they happened to have a set already. Normally its 6-8 weeks to get them. I didn't want to wait any longer. In a couple months Imight wish I had just gotten the wider rear tires, but I am happy with it right now..

The 255/40 would have been an inch taller total (28" vs 27") so the speedo would have been off slightlysince stock diameter is 27". I don't know if my tuner will have an option for changing the tire diameter for speedo calibration. Besides, I like the look of less tire, within reason. I could have saved a grand buying 18" wheels and tires if I had wanted more tire, but in my mind the wheel/tire fits the vehicle perfectly. Believe it or not, there is 3.5" of sidewall showing.. the 20's on my truck look MASSIVE compared to these, and those are a 305/50. Like I said, I might still lower it slightly, which will give the same fender gap as a 40% sidewall tire would.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:21 PM
stormk
1st Gear Member

rims look great. good choice.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:14 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

four more pics, this time with a real camera. sorry if they are a little big for the dial-up folks!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

yay car ****
Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
boochy
CSMG Moderator

Looks great!

Quick Reply: Pics of the new 20" Chrome Killers