Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high flow cats anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default RE: high flow cats anyone help

Warmachine's setup is what I'm talking about. O/R prochamber with Pypes high flow cats. You get the O/R downpipe with itso you can mount the high flow cats.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Oops....I meant to say that the prochamber was $407 after tax. It is $366 before tax at www.speedconcepts.com

The Magnaflow catted tru-X looks nice. It's probably not quite as loud as my setup because my cats are pretty small.
I do like the clip on youtube of the FRPP shorties, Magnaflow catted X, and stingers.

I'd love to have some headers, but I really should be saving more money instead of pouring it down the exhaust tubes.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Warmachine

I had a O/R prochamber on my last GT, and loved it but wanted to stick with CATs this time.

I want to copy your set up.

So all that is, are the Pypes High flow Cats and the prochamber that is supposed to mount to the stock cats?

I only ask because in the pics I have seen it doesnt look like the pypes came with the pipes that come down from the stock manifolds. If it does I think I will order this up.

Thanks,
Old 08-06-2008, 12:31 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

Warmachine

I had a O/R prochamber on my last GT, and loved it but wanted to stick with CATs this time.

I want to copy your set up.

So all that is, are the Pypes High flow Cats and the prochamber that is supposed to mount to the stock cats?

I only ask because in the pics I have seen it doesnt look like the pypes came with the pipes that come down from the stock manifolds. If it does I think I will order this up.

Thanks,
I'll answer for Warmachine since I know exactly what he did.

He purchased the O/R prochamber which came with the off road downpipes. You're right that the Pypes cats don't come with any additional pipes. Warmachine cut the prochamber's downpipes to fit the high flow cats. This is what I might do in the future since I'm getting tired of the stink from the O/R exhaust.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Exactly! Thanks, CalSpec! It was a really easy job. All of the parts were great to work with. The only thing I was concerned about before I did it was whether or not the cats would be short enough to fit at the straight part of the downpipes. They were!

I'll be glad to dig up my original thread if anyone wants it.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I will take it if you find it

I plan on doing this down the road.

What did you use to cut the O/R pipe?

I was thinking a grinder or a sawzall.

Also did you have to go to an exhaust shop to flair the down pipe you cut off, so you could keep the slip fit and clamps?

Do you think adding the high flow cats was worth it over keeping the stock cats.

I wonder if I should run it as an O/R for a while and see if I like it, if I have to order the whole kit anyway.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM
rdiaz89
2nd Gear Member

2007CalSpec- do you happen to have a video clip of your set up? i have been wanting to do this for a while now but just never got to it!

(at first it was the deepest sounding exhaust i have heard on these s197s and then it started to rasp, i guess this is cause the louvered core) any feedback would help thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rdiaz89

2007CalSpec- do you happen to have a video clip of your set up? i have been wanting to do this for a while now but just never got to it!

(at first it was the deepest sounding exhaust i have heard on these s197s and then it started to rasp, i guess this is cause the louvered core) any feedback would help thanks
Sorry...I've been busy or too lazy to get a clip. I'll try and get a clip after work tonight. Trust me when I say there's no more rasp or trumpeting once you add the resonators. All you hear is sweet bass at idle and roar at WOT.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
rdiaz89
2nd Gear Member

thanks man! its weird it was so deep the first week! and now its not its really loud (cammy sound) which isnt bad! But id prefer the deep throaty growl!

does it matter that im an automatic, that this is why it sounds like this? i sometimes drop it down to 1st amd 2nd gear, and it sounds deep and just damn sexy!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

so i odered the prochamber to cats for now and when i get a few more bucks ill get the pypes high flows like the pic above but for now it has to be stock cats

Quick Reply: high flow cats anyone help