Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found Water In My Trunk! (wtf!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 AM
jet21
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Found Water In My Trunk! (wtf!)

ORIGINAL: 0NF1R

okay, i dont have any pics but this is where i found the water...you stand in front of your truck, open it, look right behind the passenger side tail light...the carpet that is against the tail light plastic trim, pull that up...then you kinda move the interior panel carpet that is next to the tail light and you will see a little "cubby hole" that goes down towards the ground...i found about 2 cups of water at the bottom of this cubby hole..i was like "wtf" because i always keep my trunk closed...anyone else have this?
Did you also check in the well where the spare tire is stored? Any in there?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:23 AM
jet21
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viperrmk

Did you replace your tail lights or for any reason pull them out. There are like little rubber things that go on before you put the nut on (they are crappy little things that always come apart when you take the nut off) But maybe you didn't put that back on there and water is leaking in from there. Sounds about the right place.
To insure no leakage around the nuts I put a wad of plumbers putty on each nut stud where it enters the taillight plastic. When tightening the nuts this will squeeze the putty and make a seal. Then after installing I put plumbers putty around the nuts.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 AM
ddiehl
1st Gear Member

I am not sure but I believe those washers around the bolts to the tail lights are meant to deform and form a googy seal around them. When you take them off (as we're finding) it's almost impossible to get them back on.... at least to form a good seal. I was wondering it you could purchase new ones somewhere to replace them when you remove them. I really believe they were designed to be a one-time component.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: ddiehl

I am not sure but I believe those washers around the bolts to the tail lights are meant to deform and form a googy seal around them. When you take them off (as we're finding) it's almost impossible to get them back on.... at least to form a good seal. I was wondering it you could purchase new ones somewhere to replace them when you remove them. I really believe they were designed to be a one-time component.
If Ford designed a rubber seal that needs to be replaced to ensure the watertight
integrity of the body, like when a taillight bulb burns out and the taillight assembly
needs to be removed to replace the bulb, then thats stupid on Fords part. Like who
would replace the one time use seals with new one time use seals. Most will just
install them back without the seals and now the S197s gets known for trunk rot. [:'(]

ORIGINAL: viperrmk

Did you replace your tail lights or for any reason pull them out. There are like little rubber things that go on before you put the nut on (they are crappy little things that always come apart when you take the nut off) But maybe you didn't put that back on there and water is leaking in from there. Sounds about the right place.
+1
Do you have sequentials or replaced the
taillight bulb(s) on that side recently?
Rubber gasket on taillight housing nuts
may be missing. []
Ireplaced mine with small O rings when I did my sequentials.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:25 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

Any pics of where the water is getting in? I have the same problem
Old 03-14-2010, 03:55 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
If Ford designed a rubber seal that needs to be replaced to ensure the watertight
integrity of the body, like when a taillight bulb burns out and the taillight assembly
needs to be removed to replace the bulb, then thats stupid on Fords part. Like who
would replace the one time use seals with new one time use seals. Most will just
install them back without the seals and now the S197s gets known for trunk rot. [:'(]
I considered them 1-time seals and just put a little silicone in it's place when re tightening (after putting in sequentials).