Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mustang problem/dilema

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Mustang problem/dilema

Don't do it. You answered your own question in you initial post. You need to save your pennies and wait until you can absorb more debt.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

I would do it, but becuase I can afford an extra $100 a month. You posting about it makes it seem like that $100 a month is a big deal to you. Don't just jump into something. Too many people get themselves too far into debt nowadays. Man, I sounded like an old man right there!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

If u can afford it then do it just like everyone on here has said!!
Gas will be probably about the same and even better now that winter is almost here!!
Not to mention the extra power and SOUND!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:32 PM
beshe

I definetly agree with the majority. Get the GT. When I bought my stang two months ago, I was looking for something more fuel efficient as I was trading in a 2002 dodge dakota r/t. Which was TERRIBLE on gas. It had nothing to do with money, just seemed like the right thing to do. I was looking at civic si's and mazda this and import 4 cylinder that, then my wife told me we can afford it get what I want. Two weeks later, I drove home in a 2007 premium GT and I never looked back. I guess the point of my rant is that if you can afford it, do er. You only live once and you don't work for fun!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Stndbck
3rd Gear Member

I would agree that I tend to have a heavy foot when I drive my GT. It is just so much fun to drive.
If you can afford the upgrade and still have money enough to save and live on , go for it, but if it is going to be a hardship, stick with your sixer and just save some for that upgrade later on.
you never know what can happen, I worked at a job for 27 years before they decided my position was no longer necessary and I was out of a job just like that. I have been out of work since Feb. Unemployment is there but just temporarily.
I am glad my GT is paid off. So , you never know what can happen and you need to be prepared for
making those payments!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:03 AM
sushimandan
1st Gear Member

get a GT with some miles on it, your payments will be similar to what they are now. planning on doing just that in maybe 1/2 - 1 year. never buying new again...
Old 08-08-2008, 11:21 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

There is some seriously bad advice here.

First, to the OP, there is no need to cross post. You have the same exact thread in the 6 forum.

The fact that you mention the $100 amount leads me to believe that $100 a month means something to you...if that is the case...dont do it. You are close to having your car paid off (2.5 years right?). After that...spend that $300 on whatever you like...or not. You can go I and wipe the smiles off the faces of GT owners and still be way ahead...with a paid off car.

There are numerous factors to consider. First...the 6 mpg fuel difference (I have owned both BTW, and it is more like 8...but long term tests suggest 6) equates to roughly $1000 more per year in fuel expenses...so that is another $100. Add extra insurance...you mentioned $30 ish...and more for routine maintenance. So now, your $100 is more like $250 every month.

BUT, the biggest thing is that you go from $9K in debt to $24K in debt.

Why?

The 4.0 is no slouch...most GT owners have never driven a tuned 6 and are dumbfounded that it is only a second behind them in the 1/4. Light to light (not that I rec street playing) they are hard to distinguish as the 4.0 lays down every once of torque to the road in short order. If you are after power...mod the 6 a bit and stick with it. You have a reliable and proven design that you will OWN in two years. Once paid off...you can save that ex car payment and go FI in 7-8 months! Now you have a sleeper/screamer!

I said this in the other thread...but it is worth repeating. Debt is the Man stepping on your neck and strangling the life out of you.

Avoid it. Seriously!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: illin

There is some seriously bad advice here...

...the biggest thing is that you go from $9K in debt to $24K in debt.

I said this in the other thread...but it is worth repeating. Debt is the Man stepping on your neck and strangling the life out of you.

Avoid it. Seriously!
Well said illin. I posted in the other thread in the V6 section too. With the add'l info the OP listed in this thread, hewill be paying almost $15K for a GT in addition to what he will have paid for his V6. Sorry guys, but there is no way you can convince me that a GT is worth an add'l $15K more.

Once he paid off his V6, if he invested the $300 per month at a measely 3%, in 10 years he would have almost $42,000!!! Compound interest can be a wonderful thing.