Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? Has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Default WTF? Has this happened to you?

So I cleaned my car up today and went for a little cruise. I stopped in the middle school parking lot and did 1 very quick 2nd gear doughnut......not beating it at all just a little squeeling. Anyhoo I had like a 1/2 tank of gas this morning and all the sudden my gaslight came on....I thought it may have been caused by my locking gas cap but I looked at my gas gauge and it was almost completely empty. On the way home (6 blocks) my gas gauge slowly crept back up. I shut the car off when I got home and started it back up. It said 1/4 tank and the needle was very slowly going back up and jiggling a bit......WTF? Never experienced this
Old 08-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Project Renegade
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: WTF? Has this happened to you?

im not so sure dude, that sounds very weird, all i can think is a bad ground for the sensor? maybe? deffinately keep us posted
Old 08-09-2008, 04:00 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

My mom had that problem with her Mustang. I cant remember what it was but she took it in to the deal and they fix it for her.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:02 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Maybe a little off topic...but you can do us all a favor and avoid theatrics in school parking lots. They tend to have kids around...year round.

You pull that kind of crap around here and the Man is going to have you face down in the asphalt.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

When I park in a step place for awhile my gauge is usually off a little and slowly creeps back. I know some cars have a fixed sensor of some sort, and if your doing doughnuts causing all your gas to sway one way, that could be the coulprit.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:42 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The fuel guage has 4 modes of operation.
Maybe you got into the wrong mode somehow.
Key on refueling without the Ebrake engaged is
one way to make the fuel guage operate erratic.

Fast Acquire Mode:The 2-second "E" to "F" mode is referred to as Fast Acquire Mode. Fast Acquire Mode strategy requires two (2) conditions to be met before the fuel gauge indications can be updated. First, at least four (4) gallons of fuel must be added to the fuel tank. Second, the Instrument Cluster must acquire a valid Key-ON fuel sender reading within 1 second of the key being put in the Run position. The Key-ON sample reading is considered valid if the fuel sender reading is between 10 and 160 ohms. If both of these conditions are not met, the fuel gauge stays in SAntilosh mode. If the Cluster does not go into Fast Acquire Mode after a refueling event, the system will stay in Anti-Slosh Mode. This will result in a slow to Read Full event.

Anti-Slosh Mode:
The 55-minute "E" to "F" mode is referred to as Anti-Slosh Mode. In Anti-Slosh Mode, this is 55 accumulated minutes of the key in the Run position. Unless the conditions are met to put the fuel gauge into one of the other operating modes, the default is Anti-Slosh Mode. Example: If a customer operates their vehicle 11 minutes per day, it will take 5 days to accumulate 55 minutes of run time. This means it will take 5 days for the fuel gauge to go from "E" to "F".

CHECKING FUEL GAUGE OPERATION:NOTE WHEN PERFORMING STEPS 4A-0, FUEL GAUGE SLOSH STRATEGY REQUIRES SPECIFIC KEY ON AND KEY OFF CYCLE TIMES. THESE TIMES MUST BE OBSERVED OR THE DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS WILL NOT BE ACCURATE.1. Key in OFF position.2. Remove Fuse F1.15 (15 amp) from the Battery Junction Box, wait 1 minute and reinstall fuse.NOTE THIS IS DONE TO RESET THE CLUSTER FUEL GAUGE TIMERS. FAILURE TO COMPLETE THIS STEP MAY RESULT IN ERRONEOUS TEST RESULTS.3. Disconnect the in-line connector to the fuel pump module (C438 for 4.6L) or (C431 for 4.0L), located on the RH frame rail.

4. On the vehicle harness side of the connector, connect one lead of an instrument gauge system tester (Rotunda # 014-R1063 or equivalent) to Circuit 1356 (LG/VT - Pin-8 in Connector C438 and C431) and the other lead to Circuit 1357 (LB/YE - Pin-5 in C438 for 4.6L or Pin-4 in C431 for 4.0L) (Figure 1).a. With the key in the RUN position, move the shift lever from PARK to DRIVE, wait 10 seconds and then back to PARK.b. Wait 30 seconds with the key in the RUN position and the shift lever in PARK.c. Turn key to the OFF position.d. Set the tester to 160 ohms.e. Turn key to the RUN position, move the shift lever from PARK to DRIVE, wait 10 seconds and then move the shift lever back to PARK.f. Wait 30 seconds with the key in the RUN position and the shift lever in PARK.g. Turn key to OFF position and wait 30 seconds.h. Set the tester to 15 ohms.i. Turn key to RUN position, move the shift lever from PARK to DRIVE, wait 10 seconds and then move the shift lever back to PARK.j. Wait 30 seconds with the key in the RUN Position and the shift lever in PARK.NOTE THE FUEL GAUGE SHOULD READ "E" (EMPTY MARK) OR BELOW WHEN CARRYING OUT THIS TEST STEP.k. Turn key to OFF position and wait 30 seconds.l. Set the tester to 160 ohms.m. Turn key to ON position.NOTE THE FUEL GAUGE SHOULD READ "F" (FULL) OR ABOVE WHEN CARRYING OUT THIS TEST STEP.n. Wait 1 minute for the gauge to respond.o. Turn key to OFF position. After completing Steps 4A-0, if the fuel gauge operates correctly replace the fuel sender only (9A299). If not, refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 413-01 and perform normal diagnostics.

The tank has 2 fuel sender modulers. The sender on the driver side has the pumps. The sender on the passanger side is connected to the sender on the driver side through a 5/16 tube. So the sender with the fuel pumps is sucking gas from theother side of the tank. From what I understand the computer takes the avg of the 2 sender units and thats what you see on the gauge.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:54 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: illin

Maybe a little off topic...but you can do us all a favor and avoid theatrics in school parking lots. They tend to have kids around...year round.

You pull that kind of crap around here and the Man is going to have you face down in the asphalt.

It takes common sense to do it. If the parking lot is empty... i dont see anything wrong with it. Doesn't matter what the location is.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:22 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: illin

why so cranky mr. "i can afford any mustang, but i bought the V6 instead"
seriously, how would you know if the parking lot was empty or not..?
this is a thread about a technical problem, not morals...
Old 08-09-2008, 05:45 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

You just sloshed the fuel in the tank to one side. Because it's a saddle style tank it takes a little bit to equal out. If you stay in it long enough to the left it will also start to sputter
Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

The fuel guage has 4 modes of operation.
Maybe you got into the wrong mode somehow.
Key on refueling without the Ebrake engaged is
one way to make the fuel guage operate erratic.

Fast Acquire Mode:The 2-second "E" to "F" mode is referred to as Fast Acquire Mode. Fast Acquire Mode strategy requires two (2) conditions to be met before the fuel gauge indications can be updated. First, at least four (4) gallons of fuel must be added to the fuel tank. Second, the Instrument Cluster must acquire a valid Key-ON fuel sender reading within 1 second of the key being put in the Run position. The Key-ON sample reading is considered valid if the fuel sender reading is between 10 and 160 ohms. If both of these conditions are not met, the fuel gauge stays in SAntilosh mode. If the Cluster does not go into Fast Acquire Mode after a refueling event, the system will stay in Anti-Slosh Mode. This will result in a slow to Read Full event.

Anti-Slosh Mode:
The 55-minute "E" to "F" mode is referred to as Anti-Slosh Mode. In Anti-Slosh Mode, this is 55 accumulated minutes of the key in the Run position. Unless the conditions are met to put the fuel gauge into one of the other operating modes, the default is Anti-Slosh Mode. Example: If a customer operates their vehicle 11 minutes per day, it will take 5 days to accumulate 55 minutes of run time. This means it will take 5 days for the fuel gauge to go from "E" to "F".

CHECKING FUEL GAUGE OPERATION:NOTE WHEN PERFORMING STEPS 4A-0, FUEL GAUGE SLOSH STRATEGY REQUIRES SPECIFIC KEY ON AND KEY OFF CYCLE TIMES. THESE TIMES MUST BE OBSERVED OR THE DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS WILL NOT BE ACCURATE.1. Key in OFF position.2. Remove Fuse F1.15 (15 amp) from the Battery Junction Box, wait 1 minute and reinstall fuse.NOTE THIS IS DONE TO RESET THE CLUSTER FUEL GAUGE TIMERS. FAILURE TO COMPLETE THIS STEP MAY RESULT IN ERRONEOUS TEST RESULTS.3. Disconnect the in-line connector to the fuel pump module (C438 for 4.6L) or (C431 for 4.0L), located on the RH frame rail.

4. On the vehicle harness side of the connector, connect one lead of an instrument gauge system tester (Rotunda # 014-R1063 or equivalent) to Circuit 1356 (LG/VT - Pin-8 in Connector C438 and C431) and the other lead to Circuit 1357 (LB/YE - Pin-5 in C438 for 4.6L or Pin-4 in C431 for 4.0L) (Figure 1).a. With the key in the RUN position, move the shift lever from PARK to DRIVE, wait 10 seconds and then back to PARK.b. Wait 30 seconds with the key in the RUN position and the shift lever in PARK.c. Turn key to the OFF position.d. Set the tester to 160 ohms.e. Turn key to the RUN position, move the shift lever from PARK to DRIVE, wait 10 seconds and then move the shift lever back to PARK.f. Wait 30 seconds with the key in the RUN position and the shift lever in PARK.g. Turn key to OFF position and wait 30 seconds.h. Set the tester to 15 ohms.i. Turn key to RUN position, move the shift lever from PARK to DRIVE, wait 10 seconds and then move the shift lever back to PARK.j. Wait 30 seconds with the key in the RUN Position and the shift lever in PARK.NOTE THE FUEL GAUGE SHOULD READ "E" (EMPTY MARK) OR BELOW WHEN CARRYING OUT THIS TEST STEP.k. Turn key to OFF position and wait 30 seconds.l. Set the tester to 160 ohms.m. Turn key to ON position.NOTE THE FUEL GAUGE SHOULD READ "F" (FULL) OR ABOVE WHEN CARRYING OUT THIS TEST STEP.n. Wait 1 minute for the gauge to respond.o. Turn key to OFF position. After completing Steps 4A-0, if the fuel gauge operates correctly replace the fuel sender only (9A299). If not, refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 413-01 and perform normal diagnostics.

The tank has 2 fuel sender modulers. The sender on the driver side has the pumps. The sender on the passanger side is connected to the sender on the driver side through a 5/16 tube. So the sender with the fuel pumps is sucking gas from theother side of the tank. From what I understand the computer takes the avg of the 2 sender units and thats what you see on the gauge.
I never knew that there were 4 modes. Never had an issue. Just wondering though... who or why would someone have their key on while filling the tank anyway?

Quick Reply: WTF? Has this happened to you?