Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is more agressive - Stingers or Pypes mid muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Default Which is more agressive - Stingers or Pypes mid muffler?

I just installed my mid muffler system last night and drove it first time this morning. It is much louder and deper at low rpms, especially under load, but at higher rpm's it doesn't seem too much louder than my stock GT mufflers (Manual trans). Maybe I need to drive it a bit more, but just curious if stingers are louder.

Side note: THe install was a pain because the pipe ends were squeezed in since I bought this system used. The clearance to the gas tank guards was minimal at best (known problem). It took me an hour to get 1/2" from muffler to fiberglass shield on the tanks. Tip alignement was pretty good.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:44 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which is more agressive - Stingers or Pypes mid muffler?

I would describe my Stingers as being opposite.

They have a nice little rumble at idle (yes even on a 4.0) but they really open up when you get on it.

I would almost describe them as being quieter than my old GT Takeoffs at idle, but louder and throatier at every other RPM
Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

My stingers are very aggressive, and from the clips I've heard, they are deeper than the Pypes MM. It seems to me that the MM tends to get a little buzzy sounding at higher rpms.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

stingers are much better than anything pypes has ever made.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

completely opposite opinion here:

While the Borla's do tend to be a little bit louder, they drone much more (almost no drone with the MM), and the Borla's actually get raspy especially when paired with a o/r mid pipe (with the exception of a prochamber). The MM will break in, and get louder, trust me. IMO the MM is the closest thing I've heard to the classic mustang sound on an S197- if thats what you are looking for?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I've had three diff exhaust setups. The mid-muffler setup when compared to the exact same off-road h-pipe setup as MAC/JBA gained 6rwhp for me on a dyno.

The mids give a nice deep tone and cancel the rap-rap-rap of the rear mount mufflers. If you like that tone at mid-full throttle then go with it.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:56 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

X pipe and Stingers.... sex on wheels
Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

There you go, getting me all worked up again. I haven't tried the (frpp)/borla stingers but may have to one day. I've got my car all worked out except for F/I and suspension then these posts get my mind working again. lol!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pnut
I just installed my mid muffler system last night and drove it first time this morning. It is much louder and deper at low rpms, especially under load, but at higher rpm's it doesn't seem too much louder than my stock GT mufflers (Manual trans). Maybe I need to drive it a bit more, but just curious if stingers are louder.

Side note: THe install was a pain because the pipe ends were squeezed in since I bought this system used. The clearance to the gas tank guards was minimal at best (known problem). It took me an hour to get 1/2" from muffler to fiberglass shield on the tanks. Tip alignement was pretty good.

U need long tubes and an off-road pipe. Everything changes then.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:05 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

My Bassani street mufflers arrive tomorrow. I'm going to try them with my catted prochamber. I'm expecting it to have a very rich exhaust note.

Quick Reply: Which is more agressive - Stingers or Pypes mid muffler?