Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching Whipple for Twin Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:21 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Default Switching Whipple for Twin Turbos

REALLY contemplating this swap because I've kind of fell in love with the turbo sound andthe power potential with the twin turbo setuplately guys...sorry[&:]Well with the apologies said...I'm looking at this kit in the stage 1 package: http://www.turbochargedpower.com/05-...ang%20Twin.htmwith the added cost of themanual boost controller ($100), BOVupgrade ($400), Polished ($160), and the deletion of the fuel pump upgrade,Diablo kit, and injector delete as I will use the ones from the WhippleHO kit takes off ($495) . I know I need to buy another intake manifold along with fuel rails and I am guessing the kit should cost around $6560 without buying the intake manifold and fuel rails. I'm planning on just running a different pair of shorty headers and in the future forging the bottem end and running 550 rwhp for a DD. Could this kit do it for me? What's your thoughts on switching out to the Twin Turbo Kit? I wanted to go Twin Turbo, but all the other kits that were out were mounted under the car and this one you can see in the engine bay...and I LOVE that! (Wish this kit was out when I got thecar cuz I'd have Twin Turbos right now instead of a Whipple[8D]and nothing against the Whipple cuz I love itjust love turbos).
Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Switching Whipple for Twin Turbos

Forge the bottom end, and run a 3.0 or 2.75" pulley on the Whipple. You will get close to 550rwhp that way.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

That's ridiulous, just forge the whipple, and run like 25 psi of boost. You'll easily make 600 hp with the manual and the transmission will handle it (or blow lol). If you do a transmission swap (4 grand) you'll be able to push 800 hp even. 750hp has been confirmed on the whipple with forged internals so that's the way o go.

If you really want the trubo exhaust sound, just weld in a turbo into a Y pipe for your exhaust while you forge the whipple. Switching charging techniques is a guranteed waste of money. Also using vacume actuated BOV you could still create a chamber purely to mimic the sound of a BOV, so when you let off the ehxuast it would BOV and be 100 times louder than anyone else's BOV. The best part is, not only would it be cheeper, have the sound and BOV of the turbo, but it would have no trubo lag.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:25 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

but turbos are more efficient and more potential for power. but it also requires more maintenance i heard.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:40 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

I'm not really sure what I'd like to do. I know I could spend the money on other things like suspension and building the engine up. Would 14psi through the Whipple be enough for 550rwhp with a forged bottom end and keeping the 281ci? Thinking about stroking...but gains aren't that much different from what I've seen...I think the 281ci could do all I want and more...
Old 08-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ryanralston07

I'm not really sure what I'd like to do. I know I could spend the money on other things like suspension and building the engine up. Would 14psi through the Whipple be enough for 550rwhp with a forged bottom end and keeping the 281ci? Thinking about stroking...but gains aren't that much different from what I've seen...I think the 281ci could do all I want and more...
Stroking gives the engine horsepower in an eponential fashion. So with this engine at this displacement if you stroke the engine to give it 8.6% more displacement/combustion volume, it's well shown you'll get about 15%+ more hp. going to 10% gives 21% more hp. So while the gains aren't that great, they are ridiculous and advantagious mathematically speaking.

550 RWHP is definitly atainable at 14 PSI, but he engine WILL take 23-25 if you forge the whole thing, plus you can stroke it for free at that point, so you can probably get 850 RWHP out of it and it would be extremely drivable too as stroke helps that a lot. Saleen running 18 PSI with a 5 liter stroker and forged internals gets 770hp that is very drivable. 22 PSI with a 5.15 stroke = 850 RWHP safe driavable hp, but you'd need a transmission for that.

The problem it seems is that as PSI increases, you get HP but not torque. So say you have 390 R hp/tq now. It would be like 550 R HP and 490 R TQ which will feel and drive like a lot less than the average 550hp car. Torque is what damages transmission and engine parts, so this actually works in your favor considerably meaning you could run 610 rhp and 550 rtq if you set your transmission up for being able to handle 550, while on a turbo that number would be 530 rhp and 550 rtq and you'd be struck at that point because you'd break something. Unfortunatly that situation would require about 16-17 psi on the whipple.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Would 14psi through the Whipple be enough for 550rwhp with a forged bottom end and keeping the 281ci?
Easily.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:00 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

That's ridiulous, just forge the whipple, and run like 25 psi of boost. You'll easily make 600 hp with the manual and the transmission will handle it (or blow lol). If you do a transmission swap (4 grand) you'll be able to push 800 hp even. 750hp has been confirmed on the whipple with forged internals so that's the way o go.

If you really want the trubo exhaust sound, just weld in a turbo into a Y pipe for your exhaust while you forge the whipple. Switching charging techniques is a guranteed waste of money. Also using vacume actuated BOV you could still create a chamber purely to mimic the sound of a BOV, so when you let off the ehxuast it would BOV and be 100 times louder than anyone else's BOV. The best part is, not only would it be cheeper, have the sound and BOV of the turbo, but it would have no trubo lag.
Can you show me one link of someone pushing 800hp or 750hp from a Whipple 2.3L on a S197 3V motor even stroked?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:04 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Stroking gives the engine horsepower in an eponential fashion. So with this engine at this displacement if you stroke the engine to give it 8.6% more displacement/combustion volume, it's well shown you'll get about 15%+ more hp. going to 10% gives 21% more hp. So while the gains aren't that great, they are ridiculous and advantagious mathematically speaking.

550 RWHP is definitly atainable at 14 PSI, but he engine WILL take 23-25 if you forge the whole thing, plus you can stroke it for free at that point, so you can probably get 850 RWHP out of it and it would be extremely drivable too as stroke helps that a lot. Saleen running 18 PSI with a 5 liter stroker and forged internals gets 770hp that is very drivable. 22 PSI with a 5.15 stroke = 850 RWHP safe driavable hp, but you'd need a transmission for that.

The problem it seems is that as PSI increases, you get HP but not torque. So say you have 390 R hp/tq now. It would be like 550 R HP and 490 R TQ which will feel and drive like a lot less than the average 550hp car. Torque is what damages transmission and engine parts, so this actually works in your favor considerably meaning you could run 610 rhp and 550 rtq if you set your transmission up for being able to handle 550, while on a turbo that number would be 530 rhp and 550 rtq and you'd be struck at that point because you'd break something. Unfortunatly that situation would require about 16-17 psi on the whipple.
A Whipple 2.3L is not going to make 850rwhp and a Saleen is not going to make 770hp at 18psi.

Do you have any links of a Saleen making 770 hp at 18 psi?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

If you really want the twin turbo setup I would stay away from HP as they have a bad reputation. Get the twin kit from Turbo Horsepower http://www.turbohorsepower.com/kits.html I have this kit and it is top notch. Jim Napier is the guy to talk to and he is great to work with.

Earl

Quick Reply: Switching Whipple for Twin Turbos