Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell the S197 or keep it.. help me!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

If you really love the car and want to keep it forever and like all the mods you have done to it then it would be stupid to sell.

+1 just get some plastic storage bins and remove the trunk carpet and sides, that way they wont smell. Also hang one of the dehumidifier bag things back there and leave the rear seats down.

Yeah it will be a pain in the short term but in the long term it will be worth it.

As far as getting a truck I would be looking for a used s 10 extreme. They drive nice, get decent gas mileage and dont look too bad. You drive that to work and for regular beater duty.

You cant have 2 cars as your babies if you are making working man salaries. Trust fund go for broke.

thats my 2 cents
Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Explosive

I love your rims, keep your car.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

Lol keep it

Last edited by BeachBlv; 08-13-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I didn't actually take the time to read through this ENTIRE thread but that truck you're dreamin' about appears to be a diesel. Down here in south texas truck-land I have many friends with big diesel trucks that cannot GIVE them away.

Hell, go buy you a Subie forester or something if you want off-road duty, toughness and car-like performance.

Those big trucks are going the way of the dinosaur...
Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTstangB.F.D.M.
oooo.. how you all are sooo right..

but one thing.. there is a difference between a "mud truck" and those trucks.. 1) your an idiot for not thinking those even look remotely good.. 2) if it was a 1987 lifted 23", then yes.. i would agree.. but a Harley Davidson edition does not = mud truck.. sorry bud
I agree that truck is pure redneck bling bliss. It does not look remotely good (IMO)...does that make me an idiot?

Your car, on the other hand, is absolutely beauttiful.

Lots of varried opinions out there!

If you really want a truck...now is the time to buy it. Prices have TANKED on trucks...and there are some steals out there. That whole 10mpg on a daily driver is tough to swallow though. Ok at $4 a gallon...but what about at $7-8 a gallon. It isnt far off...

If you have a Carmax near by...check them out. They are loaded with trucks that are 40% lower priced than 2-3 years ago.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

I've been going through the same kind of unsettled thinking as you for quite some time, and for many of the same reasons. Personally, I have a truck already but it's aging (it's a '98) and lacks power to comfortably tow my boat, so I really want to get rid of it and upgrade to a new truck with more power. Trouble is, I don't want a car payment and I know I won't get enough for my truck by trading it in or selling it outright, so.....enter the Mustang. The Mustang was a gift to myself when I retired from the Air Force a couple years ago, and it is also completely paid for. I only drive it in summer months and only on clear days with no threat of rain, and never to places where I know I'll be forced to park among hundreds of other cars (concerts, sporting events, malls, etc). So, for the most part, it sits in the garage more often than it actually gets driven. Like you, I absolutely LOVE my Stang and when I bought it I had every intention of keeping it for several years, and I often enter it in car shows and attend Mustang events with it. I LOVE the camaraderie and social benefits that having a car like this slowly develops! However, for practicality purposes, all around versatility, and all the economical reasons associated with owning more than one vehicle (I have three, plus a boat), I'm now pondering downsizing my fleet by letting go of both my old truck and the Mustang in a two-for-one exchange for a new truck (probably a Tacoma...flame on all you import haters). The positives are easy to see, such as: I'd go down from three vehicles to two, saving insurance costs in the process; gain a new vehicle that gets decent gas mileage and is plenty powerful enough to tow my boat; and most practical of all, I'd gain an everyday driver that I can take ANYWHERE and not worry about nearly as much as I do the Mustang (dings, rock chips, rain, other drivers...far too many worries). However, the negatives are there too -- most notably the feeling I have when I drive it! I've never owned a car that gave me such a thrill to drive and just be around, nor have I ever owned a car that attracts as much attention and opens as much conversation with total strangers as this one does. It's a people magnet! In only two years time I've met so many new "friends" just because I own a black Mustang and get involved in car clubs (check out the Black Mustang Club if you haven't already), and that's a feeling that's hard to let go of. My wife and I both love taking "the Pony" out for weekend cruises or with other black Mustangs (nothing like a train of 50+ all black 'Stangs driving together). I'd miss those moments dearly! Nevertheless....I gotta at least consider reality and practicality, so I'm stuck with this thought process and can't make up my damn mind.

Looooong story short, I feel your pain bud! Sorry for the long-winded personal story, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your difficult thought process. It's an amazing feeling to own and totally enjoy this model 'Stang, and even though neither of us ever thought we'd let our cars go, it's a horrible feeling to consider the possibility of doing so after such a short time of owning it. I hope whatever decision you make is one you can live with completely without regret...and likewise, I hope mine is too (cuz after months of considering it, I'm STILL not sure what to do).

Best of luck on your decision...and in your new job!

Last edited by Silencer06; 08-19-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I buy a LOT of trucks (30-40 each year) on the wholesale level. Since January, truck prices started dropping rapidly. Right now, you can get a 1 year old truck with 10k miles that had a sticker price of 44k for about 19-20k. In December that same type of truck would have cost $29k. Right now, a loaded Dodge 1500 Laramie quad cab with the Hemi is going for about $16k wholesale (2007, 10k miles). A Ford F150 XLT crew cab is going for around $18-19k, and the Chevy's are about the same. These are all 4x4 crews, 1 year old 10-14k miles. I don't buy a lot of older stuff, but if you drive around you will find the dealers are overstocked on trucks right now, and they need to sell that inventory at whatever cost.

As far as fuel mileage goes, my own numbers, as well as those published in fleet magazines are all showing that with the decreased price in trucks lately, the savings versus the cost of fuel makes it more than worth buying a truck (5 year life expectancy, 15k miles per year). Keep in mind that a truck getting 12mpg city, 16mpg highway compared to a small SUV or large sedan (something with enough room to haul a load of wet fire fighting gear) that is getting 16-20 mpg city, 20-25 mpg highway is only costing you about $1000 per year more in fuel.. weigh that against the up front price drop of a truck (up to 40% cheaper now) and consider that the prices WILL climb back up in trucks in the next few years when fuel prices stabilize and fewer trucks are produced due to lower demand, your retained value in the truck is going to far outweigh the added fuel cost.

Plus trucks are cool.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Get a ford ranger and be done with it dude. It's for work. You don't need to drive a nice car to work every day unless you got a small -> you know what I mean.

The mustang is a very nice car, and giving it to your son one day is the best present he can ever hope to get. But chances are you won't give it to your son anyway. It'll be on it's way to classic-dom, and you'll be to attached to it.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTstangB.F.D.M.
oooo.. how you all are sooo right..

but one thing.. there is a difference between a "mud truck" and those trucks.. 1) your an idiot for not thinking those even look remotely good.. 2) if it was a 1987 lifted 23", then yes.. i would agree.. but a Harley Davidson edition does not = mud truck.. sorry bud

but thanks guys.. looks like im just gunna have to wait 1 more year! and then splurge and have both!

Sorry I gave you my .02......next time I wont post any response to your question if you are going to give dick comments back......I have noticed that you get pissed alot and make rude comments which are completely unnecessary.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

Keep the car and buy a work truck; buy yourself a nice truck after you get out of school.